1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why do dodge transmissions last ?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by pmorrissette, Dec 1, 2009.

1. pmorrissette

pmorrissette Senior Member

2. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

A dodge trans that just keeps going and going??? What are you talking about?

3. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

I'll second that notion.

And... the guy in the video touches himself. :rolleyes:

4. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I'll third that.

I had horrible luck with Dodge's back in the 90's, and friends that have a couple 03' & 05's now have had iffy opinions on them as well.

I swore I would never buy one again, they just seem down right cheap all around in my opinion. Sure, there nice looking, and nothing beats a Cummins...well, maybe a Cat, but I dislike Dodge trucks, always have, probably always will.

I'm glad you all understood what those guys were saying, I must have flunked transineese back in high school.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  5. cubicinches

I don't dislike Dodge trucks, I actually own an '02 Ram 2500 that's mixed in amongst my Chevys. :D
    Good truck... but the tranny sucks.

6. RepoMan207

from Maine

I ran a 96 for all of 4 months at work, the transmission puked on me. They traded it out for a 98 which then had a grenaded rear end 3 months off the lot. Of coarse it blew the drive shaft down the highway about 500' (boss was driving that day thank god). Then it went into the shop for repair after repair after that for the next 6 months. I swore the drive shaft was bent but the dealer wouldn't send it out to have it calibrated. After the last blow up they fixed it and went to all Super Duties with the Power Strokes. I loved them trucks.

7. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

Had to show that to the DW , now she thinks I'm actually studying:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

8. CarCrazed4Life

CarCrazed4Life Senior Member

I own a Dodge and don't think they have great trannies. But thats why I looked for one with the Oil Cooler, Larger 9.25" rear, etc.

I love the Super Duty trucks up until they replaced the 7.3l with the 6.0l Diesel... and they ruined that.

GM did a bang up job on the Allison Trannies with their diesels...

New Tundras are great, but after the old ones had major Rust issues... how do you know the new ones don't?

So everyone has their issues, but to say Dodge's tranies last is an overstatement.

9. 4season L C

4season L C Junior Member

I own a new dodge hemi HD and it has a lifetime waranty on entire drive train including wheel bearinngs all front end parts , transfer case and acuaters, everything! Plus the front end is rated for about 500 lbs more than gmc or ford. Oh yea, that is the standard free waranty.

10. cubicinches

The newer Dodge trannys are much better than the earlier ones.

The warranty doesn't mean it won't break... only means that they'll fix it when it breaks. :)

11. 4season L C

4season L C Junior Member

I also have two gmc trucks that have both left us stranded several times do to electronic modules, security modules and had 3 of the900 dollar apiece wheel hub asemblys replaced and both acuaters on one truck last year. both trucks have less than 80000 miles.
    This is my first dodge and am very happy nowing i wont have to spend my own money to fixit like i do for the gmc's

12. zeek

zeek Member

holy crap batman, too early for a video like that......

13. RepoMan207

from Maine

$900 hub assemblies....? Yeah, I don't think so. I paid $287 per for mine and was given the 1 ton versions on accident. When I exchanged them I was told there was no monies involved as they were the same price.

I'll give you this though, when it comes to these later GM Front ends, they constantly need something from my experience. :nod:

14. cubicinches

If a dealer does the hub assemblies, they're $900.00 parts and labor anyway. I agree you just buy 'em yourself for $250.00 - $300.00.

As far as the front ends... I said this somewhere around here in another thread. I've put more money into the front end of the one Dodge 2500 I own than all of my Chevys combined... no exaggeration. The Dodge has wheel bearing/hub assemblies that fail just like the chevys, inner axle seals on the Dana 60 that continually leak, and... there just isn't any fair compairison between a GM CV axle and a cross joint in a Dodge straight axle. The CV's outlast the cross joints 5 to 1. I have a sub that has an '07 Dodge 3500... it just had all four ball joints done at under 40k miles... the dealer told him that's more mileage than they usually see out of them on a plow truck. Bad ball joints in a low mileage Dodge are no surprise.

I'm of the opinion that the "big durable straight axle" is a myth created by guys who can't bring their thinking out of the stone age.

All that being said... I still think a Dodge is a good truck. Just no better or worse than anybody else's junk.

15. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

13 responses and it looks like only 1 person watched the video :dizzy:. ITS A DAMN JOKE! WATCH THE VIDEO AND THEN COMMENT :realmad:

16. cubicinches

Dude... C'mon!! I watched the video 21 minutes after he posted it. See post #3. :D

As far as the rest of this thread... it's waaay off track. Just like every thread around here winds up! :nod:

17. ScottPA

ScottPA Senior Member
    from PA

My dad had an 04 with a Hemi that barely made it to 60k without needing transmission work..My uncle had to completely get his 02 ram's tranny rebuilt at 55,000! Sad thing is..neither of them used the truck for anything other than a daily driver..or to haul maybe a couple sheets of OSB.

J U N K

18. RepoMan207

from Maine

Sorry NBI, but I was going to say about the same thing myself. Besides, that video is the driest form of humor that I have ever seen.

19. cubicinches

LOL!

That was supposed to be funny? I'll have to watch it again... I must have missed the funny part. :D

20. RepoMan207

from Maine

Seriously, your paying $1,800 for the install of hub assemblies & and an alignment? All I have to say is, I want to be your mechanic.

You stated:

Even at $900 altogether your about $100 - $75 too high, but much more realistic.