1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why do businesses want plowers to insure their property ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mdirrigation, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

I had a bid that wanted us to carry 3 million of insurance incase some one slips on THEIR LOT. I have a big problem with this.

1 . After a event we arent paid to monitor the lot 24/7
    2. they are a business they have insurance for their property
    3. We carry insurance to protect ourselves , damage that we do accidents etc.
    4. someone could dump their bottled water on a lot and make an ice patch
    5. customers cars drop snow off the undercarriage when parked

When would it be considered the plow companys fault . ? 1 hour after a storm , 1 day , a week , with freezing and thawing cars dragging in snow , etc . I would have to keep a truck on the lot 24/7 until spring to cover my butt.
  2. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

that is why you draw contracts up, they want insurance that you won't screw up, and they well get sued because you were incompetent. Like wise you want assurance that you won't be help responsible for their bad decissions. Should you be help responsible for snow coming off a car and melting? no, should you be held accountable for doing a sh!tty job on their property and someone getting hurt.....YES.
  3. JohnRoscoe

JohnRoscoe Senior Member

I don't know of any trades that performed commercially wouldn't require the same thing, most requiring them to be listed as additional insured if the work is going on for any length of time. Would you let an uninsured contractor perform work at your property with nothing but good hopes that nobody would be injured as a result of their performance?
  4. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Looks like this is something new to you.

Welcome to our world.
  5. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

X2, welcome to the cold sweats late at night as you ponder your liabilites :help:
  6. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

Throw in indemnification, subrogation and condensation and I its evident that some homework needs to be done.
  7. Mdirrigation

No its not new to me , been in the plowing world since 1981 .
  8. Mdirrigation

My contract is pretty good been tweaked many times over the years .
  9. blue sky guy

blue sky guy Junior Member

It releases the property of any responsibility if something were to happen. I used to add a dozen condo/apartment properties for lawncare of all things to my policy of 2 mill coverage.
  10. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

Item number 1. Yes , we are paid to make sure their property is hazard and ice free at all times