1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why Diesel

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Thebosssnowplow, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Thebosssnowplow

Thebosssnowplow Member
    from pa

Some of the trucks in the fleet are time to be rotated. They are all 6.0 fords. Diesel is about 2.99 gal here and 1.99 for gas. The new trucks are about 5000 more. Now i keep my trucks for three years and get 36000 and trade them in. Thats 138 per month more for the diesel. The v-10 towing specs are the same as well as the gvw. I dont see any fuel savings with the way fuel is. The preformance is the same(according to ford), and maintence, well, we only change the oil every 9000 miles cause we keep the truck for such a short time. As far as resale value you get about the same back. Any imput?

2. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

6.0 fords are being replaced already?..how old are they. But to answer the question with the V-10 you'll be filling up more often so the fuel saving will be about the same. Diesels last longer, and more fuel effcient than those gas hog v-10's.

3. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Not sure but would suspect that the diesel has a lot more torque than the gas and would therefore make it more desireable for HD towing, plowing etc.... The diesels I also belive weigh more which makes a difference in traction for plowing I have noticed going from a F-250 gas to a F-350 diesel, not sure what you do with yours but a couple of things to consider.:salute:

4. SNOWBIZ

SNOWBIZ Junior Member

They sound better!

5. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Amen to that brother

6. PipeGuy

PipeGuy Junior Member

I don't see any reason to buy a diesel if either you're only keeping them 36K miles or you don't have any heavy towing requirements. Re-sale values shouldn't be much of an issue between diesel and gas at only 36K.
    I've driven F-250 diesels since 1983 and have yet to see one go less than 200K miles. Even at that, they were street worthy and re-sold.

7. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

What is the intended purpose of the truck--If you have plowed with the 6.0--try plowing with the V-10 --totally different power curve. Plowing with the V-10 the best would be about 8 miles to the gal. What do you get with the 6.0? You won't get the advantage of the diesel, since you turn your vehicles around fast. Do you really need such a engine? could you opt for a V8 instead? It's all how you are going to work it! and if your going to keep it for an extended period of time!

8. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Keep in mind that I read diesel gas millage gets better as millage goes up. I only have 13K on my 05 and the millage still isn't that good, dealer said at 25K mileage goes up significantly, so I guess till then I'm suffering :realmad: :dizzy:

9. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

Well, I can tell from experience that a gas doesn't tow as well as a diesel. On paper, according to the man. it does. But real world it doesn't.

The V10 gassers suck gas like you wouldn't believe.

Atleast here, diesel is usually like 15% cheaper if you buy it in bulk. (clear, not died). And if you purchase died diesel, it's like 25%. Where as bulk gas is only about 8% cheaper.

Trade in value, etc... is also a bonus.

However, you can also factor in higher maintence costs (oil changes $$), etc... with the diesel.

Luckily diesel is still in around the same price as gas around here.

10. PipeGuy

PipeGuy Junior Member

How does it help you to roll them over that quickly? I'm fairly new to the vehicle purchasing game and am interested in understanding the benefit of only keeping them 3y/36Km. Are you buying them or leasing them?
    Right now I have (3) 03's (all with 60 mnth payments) that have 35K, 50K and 80K miles on them. I also have a couple of older trucks that are paid for.

11. bwilder10h

bwilder10h Junior Member

If you aren't keeping the truck that long, I would go gasser. There was a thread a while back on the Superduty forums about how long it would take to make the 5k spent on a diesel worthwhile and I think it was something like 8 years to just break even on the cost. That was when diesel was cheaper than fuel so you mileage is going to vary (pun intended).

I have also heard the diesels don't like all the short starts and stops done when plowing.

The V10 gets one (1) mpg less than the 5.4 so that is probably the way I will go when I replace my 03. The new 5.4 is supposed to be much better as well, now that they went to the 3 valve setup.

12. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

I would say get the gas motors. If you buy three at a time every 3 years get 1 of each, 5.4, 6.8, & 6.0. Your turn over rate is quick and this way here your getting a acual usage test between them to see if your going to save anything. If all your trucks do is plow, any of the motors will do it.

13. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Maintenance costs are not really higher in a diesel if you look at if real world- more oil in quantity but in general longer oil change intervals. With synthetic oil (after the engine is broken in- but you're not keeping them long to really break them in) for plow work gassers should be getting changed every 3K miles and diesel 6K miles (severe service rotation- read the OM) on summer normal driving 6K for a gasser and 9-12K for the diesel. Have your oil tested and you could extend the change interval up to 15K in a diesel with quality synthetic oil. What else is there for maintenance on a diesel? (valve adjustment every 25K to 50K miles depending on the engine) Nothing. No plugs to replace, air filter changes when the filter minder says so (which can be years!)

The initial cost is the extra in reality, depends on what you want. Emissions may be a factor, fuel usage may be a factor- not sure 'bout F series, but Rams get 23 with the high gears in a diesel- no Dodge gasser can match that. Resale value in my area is significant for a diesel over gas but it may not be in your area.

14. Thebosssnowplow

Thebosssnowplow Member
    from pa

I turn the trucks over just becase the truck costs me the payment and thats it. No maintence costs because of the warrenty. I know whay my budget is and it stays a constant. I purchase them and it usually costs me about 14000 and the old truck. I hear you guys with the towing and plowing but for the 5000 difference im really having a hard time.

15. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

diesel vs gas

Look for the threads on this. Many have been posted.

dave

16. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Resale is not about the same, It's about the only option that you get almost get all your money back.

17. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

gotta love the snow of deisel in the early morning

18. TEX

TEX Senior Member

Power

I Agree With Most Of The Guys On Here About The Diesel. From A Money Stand Point Unless You Just Love And Need The Power Go With A Gas. The Short Amount Of Time That You Keep Your Trucks You Cant Really Dish Out $5k Each. Id Love To Have A Diesel In Every Truck I Drive And Own, But Business Is Business And Money Doesnt Grow On Trees.

19. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Just another thought--if you were to buy 3 identical diesels and bought a reprogrammer--some state they will get up to 5mpg better milage, that would be about 50% of what the V-10 gets normally for about a $450 investment.

20. TEX

TEX Senior Member

Mpg

True You Can Do A Ton Of Stuff To A Diesel And Get Better Mileage And Power, But As For 5 Mpg Better Is That On The Hwy Or While Working Ex Plowing??? Prob Not