1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

why did my liquid freeze?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by andrewlawnrangr, Jan 17, 2009.

1. andrewlawnrangr

andrewlawnrangr Senior Member

ok i made a liqiud calcium in a 5 gal bucket...... 22.5 pounds of calcium and 4 gal of water. mixed it up and sprayed it on a section of asphult. first i used the fan nosel on my back pack sprayer ( trying to get into liquids most cost effective). either i put to much down or my mix is wrong. i was thinking of making a mag/calcium mix for side walks but whats the best ratio???

thanks all

2. Upper5percent

Upper5percent Member
    from USofA

I think your concentration is too high for the temperature your working in...

Your freezing point lowers as you increase your % of CaCl2 until you reach 29.5% after that the freezing point start to RISE!!!

The lowest freezing temperature of -60F is achieved at 29.6% CaCl2

at 34% concentration your freezing point has risen to +10F
    at 45% concentration your freezing point has risen to +78F

Check the table on page 8 of the following document...

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  3. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

yea you need to be some where around 2.5 pounds per gallon of water...but its hard to say exactly since you probably using a random bag of salt. there will be other factors since its not pure calcium or any one thing..
  4. lawnprolawns

lawnprolawns Senior Member

Interesting. Doesn't everything change when it hits snow and mixes with that? Also, what about bagged CaCl2, it seems that with those numbers, it would not work at -10 or so, or does it have to do with the way it dissolves in the snow/ice?
  5. brimfield

brimfield Member

Paul thanks for the help you saved me $ and time as I was using way too much calcium chloride to melt ice.
  6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Wow, didn't you have just about a solid block of calcium?