1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why Climb a Mountain ?? (Part II)

Discussion in 'Storm Pictures' started by Alaska Boss, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Alaska Boss

Alaska Boss PlowSite.com Addict
    from Alaska

Well,.... last year, it was "because it was there...". But last week I picked up a like-new 2007 Skandic Super Wide Track,... maybe the greatest flotation sled built,... and if anyone needs a deep-snow machine, it's me. I've wanted to try one of these for a long time,.. but they are quite expensive & kinda rare, since most people don't want something like this,.... (the track is 24" wide x 154" long). And I found this one for about ½ price, so I drove over 600 miles RT to get it,... and since we still have good riding conditions yet in the mountains, I decided to climb a mountain,... not because it's there,.... but to try out my new sled,.... :bluebounc

m54 1.jpg

m54 2.jpg

2. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Now at this time of year,... the snow conditions are very good for riding,.. so this really wasn't going to be much of a test for this machine,.... but it would be fun anyway,....

m54 3.jpg

m54 4.jpg

3. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

This mountain is just a few miles south of where I live,.... and once I got above tree line,.... it was just pure white snow,.. with no marks in it at all.... so I just pointed it straight up.... :bluebounc

m54 5.jpg

m54 6.jpg

m54 7.jpg

4. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Looking back down towards where I came from...

m54 8.jpg

5. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Once I got up towards the divide, I turned & rode up the ridge that would lead right to the very top.....

m54 18.jpg

m54 9.jpg

6. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

And I got right to the very top of this mountain,.... every direction was downhill.....

m54 12.jpg

m54 10.jpg

m54 11.jpg

7. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

There wasn't even enough room to turn around up here.....

m54 13.jpg

m54 15.jpg

m54 16.jpg

m54 17.jpg

8. WingPlow

WingPlow Senior Member

your pics are simply amazing...what i dont get though is, with all that great
    riding you guys have up there, why arent there any more tracks on those mountians ?

9. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

But I did get it turned around, and headed back down the mountain,.... this seems like it's going to be a great sled,.. now I can't wait for a fresh 5' dump next winter,... just to see how this machine goes thru snow too deep for most others.... :salute::waving:

m54 19.jpg

m54 20.jpg

10. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Amazing pics as usual. Did you venture out there by yourself?

11. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Well,... there's not all that many people around here,.... at least there's a lot more mountains than people,... so it's not that hard to find your own place to ride that is unmarked. Plus, even tho it's almost May, the snow on top is still powder dry, so it's still getting deeper, and that along with the wind will erase any trails after a week or two,... plus most people have had their fill of riding by now,... so they are looking forward to summer things,... I'm one of the weird ones,.... haha :waving::waving:

m54 14.jpg

12. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

yeah,.. I'm almost always by myself,.... everyone else has jobs, etc,... lol. If I had to wait for someone to tag along all the time,.. I'd never get to go anywhere,.... but one has to use extra caution & preparation if you're going to venture out alone,.... :waving:

13. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

hows the sled compare to the other one? how many sleds do you have now? i got about 10 also have 2 trucks almost catching up to you. lol

14. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Do you ever take a avalanche beacon when your on your sled or at least tell your wife?

15. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I still have dibbs when you're hiring ....right?!!!

16. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

Very nice pics I would love all that riding time

17. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

You can't have this much fun with a wife...

Very nice pics. How about you take my up and I'll snowboard down? Eh?

18. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

19. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

I've never heard of Skandic, I don't think. Do they manufacture their own engine or is it powered by Bombardier or another? Great pics, it's always refreshing to visit your posts. Thanks for sharing the beauty with us.

20. speedy

speedy Senior Member

It IS a Bombardier.