1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

why central hydraulics

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by fisher guy, Jan 4, 2009.

1. fisher guy

fisher guy PlowSite.com Addict

Not sure where to put this but i keep browsing around here and a lot people say if u can afford it go for central hydraulics but nobody really explains why. I sometimes run my bosses 97 GMC dumper with a 9 ft Fisher with C.H.'s and to be honest with u i cant stand it its a PITA. It used to have a MM1 on it but now it has a MM2 on it great truck but i can barely reach the levers and im 6'2 with long arms lol (they're on the floor) its pretty slow not bad but nothing like my other bosses xblade with joystick control it may just be the truck or is it? i never ran anything else with the C.H's so i wouldent know. Reminds me of the old belt drive system but that's because it pretty much is

Any insight on this would be great oh and its a 3 lever configuration AKA dump,plow left/right, up and down. And its somewhat backward considering i run heavy equipment when i pull BACK on a lever i would expect the plow to go up not down like this one is set. Reminds me of the old linkbelt 2400 Draglines I used to run in florida in the lime rock mine. I just see why its worth the extra money. :realmad:

2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i feel the same way... id rather jsut have a plain regualr western

im acctually thinking of converting my western central to a regualr electric /hydro

i was gonna put quick disconnects on the lines so i could swtich back to the central , in the event of a failure

but yeah its a night and day difference

you can turn those levers around so when you pull back it goes up... thats how mine is

3. fisher guy

cant company truck boss is VERY particular of this truck and he drives it. hes been running it since it was brand new and he loves it cuz he pretty much had the set up custom made to his liking but yeah its nice to see someone agrees with me and the quick disconnects great idea thats what i would do

4. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

funny, i was plowing with it... then the plow broke, frame broke and cracked

so i rigged up a regular western to work in a pinch, with a handheld controller

well, it was so nice plowing pushing buttons, instead of pulling levers , i really hated to go back

i foundmyself plowing in a manor that didnt require me to raise the plow so much ... and i dunno about your levers, but mine are stiff.... its worst than shifting a manuel trans

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Central Hydros is mainly for salter operation on smaller trucks, I'd never want to run my plow with them. But if you want too you can set your CH up with a joystick just like your use too. Ever heard of electric over hydraulics. Our newest truck doesn't have levers it just has little buttons. Once you've used a salter set up with CH you will never go back to gas, can't say about electric because I've never used one.

6. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

Second the CH for salters and not just small trucks but tri axles and tandems as well. As for plowing they work fine if all you are doing is lowering and raising the blade as in highway use always tossing snow to the right. Not that you can't angle with it but as you observed it really is kinda slow. But it really is king for salting.

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

You don't have a choice on larger trucks, that's why I didn't talk about it.:drinkup:

8. timmy1

timmy1 Senior Member
    from RI

The main reason for central hydraulics is there is only one pump and engine running the whole thing.

If you are sanding, you count on you're pony motor to start, then you count on you're plow pump and motor to work. Then you could plumb a dump body or trailer into it as well. Not to mention you're constantly putting gas in the sander. Kind of annoying if you have a diesel truck, pull into a gas station and buy $60 in diesel, move to the gas pump and buy $1.28 in gas. I usually carry a 2 gallon gas can, but still.

The other morning it was 1* degree out and I needed to sand some hills. Pony motor would not start. Tried either in the air cleaner, nothing. Had to take the spark plug out and spray some starting fluid in there, put the plug back in and she fired up. I wish I had central hydraulics then.

9. fisher guy

o ok thanx guys i had no idea that makes alot of sense with the salter i see ur point on the pony motor on sander they cab be a PITA. Oh hey and elite i know ur pain my levers on the truck are pretty stiff but ill take what i can get lol thats all i got to plow with now so it beats a shovel thanx for the info guys

10. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

i had aold 1 ton with central hydraulics and loved it. With a 9' plow it was very fast up/down and left/right. It also ran the sander and dump all with quick dissconects for the plow/sander to remove easily and never had a problem with battery drain or so.

11. mmaddox

mmaddox Member

Engine driven pumps are so much better. Control placement is installer issue. No reason electric prop valves can just as easily be used, with electric switches anywhere. My favorite truck to operate has switches mounted on the shifter. Hand never has to move much.

12. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Central Hydros are the way to go, if.......

You are doing "bigger" lots where you need the action of the central unit. '01 Chevy C3500HD. (last of the great ones).

We bought a 10 year old truck for cheap with a hydro unit.

As long as the pump is in working order, you have 4-6 gallons of hydro fluid in the tank, and all your connections are good, then it works awesome.

With our main truck, it runs the plow twice as fast as an electric unit.

Blown hoses are the only issue and it's rare. I'd take that any day over chasing electrical gremlins or the extra load on the batteries.

Then it runs an under-tailgate salt spreader. Beats a V-box hands down.

The truck, when we bought it, was 10 years old. We've gotten 4 years of service out of it since then, and have, maybe, $200.00 worth of repairs on the system. (not including plow repairs such as cutting edge).

Next truck to replace it will have central hydros. Once you go black, you'll never go back...

(Edit.. The previous owner modified the control levers for the plow to make it just absolutely awesome to control the plow. Each year I can also get it put together in an hour and know that their will be no issues with any functions)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013