1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

WHY cant I get my truck to STOP OVERHEATING!!!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by lawnlandscape, Nov 1, 2010.

1. lawnlandscape

lawnlandscape Senior Member

Last year I had problems with one of my trucks overheating expecially on the highway with the plow on. Taking the highway is a must since 80% of our snow removal work comes from cities other then our own. I realise the plow blocks the entire radiator while on the highway, but...

This year I had a Much BIGGER radiator put in with 2 large fans(pics attached) ... but its still overheating!!! Extremely frustrating!

Any ideas?

IMG_1185.JPG

IMG_1186.JPG

IMG_1187.JPG

2. Shawn S

Shawn S Junior Member

The fans are pullers right? I am not calling you stupid, it's just that some people don't know that there are pushers and pullers. Obviously if you put a pusher on that side it won't do you much good.

If that's good than start checking the other parts of the cooling system. Is the thermostat opening all the way? Is the water pump OK? Thermostats are cheap and easy to replace.

3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Like Shawn S said, I would start checking obvious things and then maybe do a complete flush if nothing else helped. We had a 01 Chevy 3/4 with the 6.0L and it always heated up when driving on any road.

4. vinces designs

vinces designs Junior Member

try straightening the plow and lower it to just above the ground so the air can get to your radiator in the VEE position it actually deflects the air to the sides just like snow.

5. Brian Young

They use to make air deflectors for plows but I haven't seen them in awhile. All they were, were pieces of plexiglass bolted to the top of the plows so air gets directed right to the radiator. I would think those fans should take care of the problem, especially with a new radiator. Did you or they get all the air out?

6. lawnlandscape

thermostat was just replaced last year.. how would I be able to check the water pump?

and yes... the fans pull the air into the engine area, they dont try to blow out through the grill :)

7. lawnlandscape

We do straighten it a little bit and try to lower it a little bit. We have never had it all the way straight. It would take up to much of the road. Not to mention look weird.. lol

8. lawnlandscape

I was thinking about a way to get some kind of deflector. I was thinking about how I could make one and where I could put it. All I know is I have to think of something. This truck never has any problems over heating, even on 100 degree days. Its only with the plow, so im 99.9% sure its nothing but an air problem. I just don't know how or where to put some kind of defector.

9. Brian Young

What about on the top of the plow frame, under the light tower. You could get some lexan or plexiglass, a couple "L" brackets to attach to the plexi, then bolt it to the light tower at an angle. Those other deflector's were only about 8" tall.

10. lawnlandscape

That might work, but I think the plow comes up above that bar in the milddle... but if I put it down just a little... I dunno. I'm going to have to play with it tomorrow. The lightbar frame does not appear very strong, I would worry that drilling into it would weaken it to much.

I going to see what ideas I can come up with tomorrow (if any)

11. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Looks like a fan shroud would work alot better kind of crewd the way it is.

12. ERWbuilders

ERWbuilders Senior Member

One thing i found on my 04 powerstroke AND my 85 ford with the C5 in it is the transmissions were running hot which was heating up the coolant at the back of the motor and at the radiator. I put bigger transcoolers on em and a seperate electric fan on each trans cooler and problem solved....These are on fords though im not sure about chevys

13. ERWbuilders

ERWbuilders Senior Member

let me correct myself...the powerstroke had some superjunk glide 4738290wasdjfh whatever trans in it

14. Steve'sZr2

Steve'sZr2 Member

what kind of electric fans did you install? Sometimes the Advance Auto or Pep boy whatever you want to say fans produce no where near the power of the stock clutch fan. You could have made the problem worse (the pictures don't show the stock fan). You could try putting a new OEM fan in (HD version available?) and putting the two electric fans on the other side of the radiator to push air in. Also, what are you using to control the fans?

15. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i run a boss and a 5.7 in my truck, i have a straight blade only difference. i run my plow about 2 inches off the ground and neva had a problem other than hitting ice chunks and it hits my hood!

16. lawnlandscape

fan shroud did not fit with the bigger radiator.

17. lawnlandscape

Again, the stock fans did not fit because this radiator is a lot bigger then the old one. I'm not sure what the brand name is on the fans, but I can definitely feel them blowing into the truck pretty good. If your still curious about the brand name I will look later.

The fans are controlled by the thermostat.

I'm not interested in installing 4 fans. Kinda sick of messing with the fan crap, this is my 4th set of fans in 2 years. :mad: I think my only option is finding a way to deflect some air in there

18. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Is the truck overheating or running real hot? Big difference, but I suspect you mean its actually overheating and running the temps into the red zone.

I agree tht it sounds like you've got an airflow problem. On the highway the plow is creating such a wake that you're probably running ambient or even negative pressure between the plow and the grill.

Since you've gone so far as to replace the radiator and fans I'll assume you've done all the basics and you don't have an air bubble in there or anything like that.

Seems silly, but have you tried running the plow in scoop mode? That would channel the air towards the center of the vehicle instead of to the sides...you're almost guaranteed to put some of that air into the radiator. It might hurt your economy more, but I cna't imagine you're getting great economy anyway.

There was guy here who made and was trying to market an air deflector for straight blades...if you can find his posts he might be able to help fab something up...or he may have a product already that you can buy. It was a relatively simply bolt on airfoil that attached to the top of the plow blade and simply redirected air back down behind the plow...think rear roof spoiler on an old LTD station wagon and you're there. Jim@ESITrucks may also have some options for you...they seem to sell pretty mcuh everything you could ask for...got to be something you can do.

You could always look into a snorkle for cool air intake.

19. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

I would bet that those electric fans don't pull anywhere near the amount a stock fan does. Without the plow on, when going down the road you don't even need a fan (why you are not overheating in summer).

Normally problems like this on the chevys are caused by a bad fan clutch (only shows up when the plow is on). I would think about switching back to the normal fan and put in a heavy duty clutch.

20. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

The fan clutch does not only turn on when there is a plow on!