1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why can't i get diesel from my tank to my engine? 03 Ram Diesel

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by lawntec, Dec 19, 2007.

1. lawntec

lawntec Senior Member

My truck died on the highway....i towed it home heated the truck in the shop...replaced the filter and it ran fine for about a week, thne same thing. So this time I replaced the lift pump and now I can't get it to start.
    What I noticed is the new lift pump is not pumping any fuel into the filter canister.
    So, I pulled the supply and return lines off .... I blew into the supply line and air cam out of the return line. GREAT, THIS IS GOOD...BUT....
    I blew into the return line and all I did was pressurize the tank. No fuel came out of the supply line (yes the fuel cap is on). Whe I stop blowing...the air rushes back out the return line at my face. So I tried sucking on the supply line and I can't get anything. THIS IS BAD.
    Could it be the the strainer in the tank is completly plugged?
    Is it possible it is covered in ice? Can I have ice build up in a diesel tank

2. lawntec

lawntec Senior Member

Sorry for the double post.

3. lawntec

lawntec Senior Member

I solved the problem. It was an air bubble between the tank and the new lift pump. I had to use a shop vac on the supply line ane suck fuel to the end, then quickly throw it on the lp and cycle the lp. Now it runs great!!!!

4. TEX

TEX Senior Member

glad you got it.....