1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

why cant Buyers get the spread pattern right?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by siteworkplus, Dec 7, 2013.

1. siteworkplus

siteworkplus Senior Member
    from mass

I just purchased a long chute for my SHPE 2000 and the spinner sent 95% of the product to the drivers side. This is the exact opposite problem I had with the short chute that I ordered originally 2 yrs ago. I spent almost an hour modifying the material drop to even out the spread but why cant the tech guys get this right. I shouldn't have to cut a brand new $800 piece and add deflectors to make it work properly. I posted pics 2 yrs ago on the spinner mods for the short chute I made, but if anyone wants to see my remedy for the long chute, let me know. The whole reason I purchased the extra chute is because the spinner motor on the short chute got all corroded on the inside.WTF!!! Its only 2yrs old. I opened it up and cleaned it and got it running again,but not sure I can trust it all winter. Nice to have a spare anyways just in case Paris Hilton is tailgating someday. Lets keep outsourcing all our manufacturing overseas, seems to be working out great!
  2. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

I prefer it to come out heavy driver side so I can ride up along side of walks and hit them. I think the Only thing china made on those are the motors and wire harnesses and other metal parts. Can't see them doing the plastic moulding in china and sending spreaders into us.
  3. hammerstein

hammerstein Senior Member

As an owner of a buyers utg spreader I would never buy another thing from them again. I hate the spread pattern most goes to the left if truck. I think they make them and as long at it turns on most of the time they put it into production.
  4. sns250

sns250 Member

Do you have pictures of what you did to correct the problem. I had a thread on here last year about this exact issue. I have a 1500 and a 2000 and both spread 90% to the driver side. My issue is we do a lot of single lane driveways and road so I always feel like I am throwing salt off the pavement if the spinner is above 2 or 3 because it is coming straight out the driver side.

Last year I spent some time and I believe the issue was the salt was hitting to far back on the spinner. I wanted to cut a little of the chute the salt runs down to correct the problem, but I never did.

I would be interested to see yours fix.
  5. sns250

sns250 Member

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds about right.

Pretty sure I'll never purchase Buyer's products again.
  7. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

I have a 2250, It spreads almost perfect, couldn't be happier by far the best salter I've ever owned I'd almost be willing to say best poly electric available, so simple, awesome control box (analog not digital) cheap parts but I haven't needed any
  8. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Just for laughs I put rice in my 1500 and 99% of it was coming out to the East.:D
  9. siteworkplus

from mass

Saw your pics and mine was doing the same thing.
    I ended up cutting the poly back an inch at a time until i got back to the point where the angle changes (about 5in +/-).
    It seemed to help but still not perfect.
    I then took a piece of mud flap,cut it to size and used sheet metal screws to secure it to the back of the motor housing.(didnt want to use too long of a screw as not sure what was behind poly)
    It was easy to screw in with the poly cut away and the deflector swung out of the way for the moment.
    I left the bottom edge of the mud flap piece about an inch above the spinner.
    This forced the material to drop onto the spinner about an inch behind the spinner shaft. PERFECT! With the poly cut away I know I have enough opening so nothing can get stuck
    I will see if i can get a pic posted today if the wife will cooperate
    Spread pattern at any speed is consistent and near equal to both sides
  10. siteworkplus

from mass

photo 1.JPG

photo 5.JPG
    hope these look good enough

photo 1.JPG

photo 5.JPG
  11. sns250

sns250 Member

Thanks Sitework,

That is pretty much what I envisioned on doing, I just never got enough guts to go and start cutting a brand new spreader. Let me rephrase that...I don't think I should have to cut into a basically new spreader.

I guess I will give it a try and see if I can get it more even.
  12. siteworkplus

from mass

That was my feeling exactly too!
    But I needed it to work properly today and it was useless the other way so I felt I had no choice.
    You'll be happy with the results
    The mud flap deflector is the key
    Cutting it back as far as I did made screwing the piece on easy
  13. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

My guess is it because its a buyers. I had one years ago and never again!!