1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why buy a new Ford?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by OUT-SIDEMAN, Feb 12, 2007.

OUT-SIDEMAN Junior Member

I love Ford trucks, so just read and comment.
    I have a 150, 250, 350 dually diesel 6.0.
    Knowing that Ford has changed the diesel engines again, from the 7.3 to the 6.0 now to the 6.4 Why would I keep my confidence in a truck that is probably going to have more problems?

Dodge has stuck to the 5.9 cummins and Chevy the Duramax.
    I'm sure they have their problems too, But I believe the problems are going to plague the Ford line of trucks IE, rusty oil pans, ball joints and the like, for the new model year(s).

My decision is changing as we speak, on what a new truck will be.

How do you feel about the decisions Ford is making?
    Will you stick to the F-series? or are you going wait and see?

I'm leaning more to the Dodge than any other. WHY?
    When a 3500 dodge pulled away from me with a 24' horse trailer and 3 horses on it from a stop light ( I just had the 350, no trailer) I thought damn I've got 2 more cylinders and no weight what the *^%$? Yeah it happened. I was gaining on him after 1/2 mile. But damn
  2. Rampart Ranger

Rampart Ranger Senior Member

I have run the 7.3 since 2000. NO Dodge or GM truck pulling 3/4 of the load I have has pulled a mountain pass on me!

On the other hand, I will NOT buy another new Ford diesel. They got their head right up where the sun don't shine! First the 6.0, now the 6.4 - they will be nothing but trouble - forced on them by the eco-nuts.

When the Cummins was a 12 valve, clockwork fuel injection pump, plain jane injector, minimal computer system she was unbeatable for reliability (even though my 7.3 HP and torque blew her away). Now she is as b*st*rdized as the 6.0. And Dodge bodywork and interior quality sucks. GM is worse, with aluminum heads on a cast block in a diesel - plus all the finicky electronics and the fact that "Body by Fisher" means nothing any more.

I'll buy used 7.3s or maybe new International if I want to go to heavier duty!

There won't be a GOOD 1 ton diesel till we get the enviro-nutcases back in the caves where they belong, and the manufacturers can have the freedom to build the tough, reliable, brutes they used to.
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2007
  3. pinepointe

pinepointe Senior Member

I have owned a 99 powerstroke and i loved it, but since ford has went to sh#t and chevy has the worst frontend ever made, I will never own a 1 ton that has torson bar suspension, never. I never was a fan of the dodge until I drove one. I am here to say that my dodge fit and finish is on par with any ford or chevy and that is that
  4. Rampart Ranger

Hope you can say the same for Dodge body & interior 4 yrs from now. Then, if the Cummins gets another 25-30 cubes, goes back to clockwork injection pump, and they hook a real tranny to her - she'll be the toughest truck on the road once again.

No offence, the old Snowfighter Dodge was a FINE truck for her day. God willin' Dodge will get a clue again. (Maybe Ford will, too.;) )
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2007
  5. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

Just sold my ford and went dodge. The cummins will beat our ford 350 diesel any day of the week. The fit and finish on my 06 ford is not as nice as my 06 dodge. The fact that chrysler has mercedes behind them is help in their design dpeartment 10 fold. I will not buy a ford anytime soon.
  6. Rampart Ranger

Ford 350 diesel? Is that the Cubic Inches of the 6.0L? I think the 7.3 is 458ci; cubic inches wins for pulling a load diesel or gas.

Care to run up the Eisenhour with 20K against my 7.3? Speed limit is 65, grades up to 8% or so. I been through the approach to the tunnel @ speed limit pulling a 4 horse, each stall with 4 hooves on the mat, plus 150 gallons water, 1500 lbs camping/fishing gear, and 5 cases prime Northwest beer. Game?

Suck my smoke! If you can get that close.

(on the downhill side I have a LITTLE trouble holding her back:dizzy: )

Not to intimate lack of respect for German/Austrian engineering. STG58 - still the best MBR.
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2007
  7. greenscapes inc

greenscapes inc Member
    from utah

Yeah the 6.0 has some problems I wont deny that, but ford can not afford to have another problematic diesel. They have done there research on this one and I think it will be a good motor. They changed to the 6.4 because of emissions and they needed a bigger displacement motor to keep up with the hp and torque of chevy and dogde. As far as ball joint, there really isnt a cure for that. Every truck is going to wear out ball joint eventually. Didnt Dodge just change to a 6.7??
  8. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I do like the looks of the F-450's, hate the GM's. If I was to get a new truck tommorow, it will be a Dodge/Cummins. And for the above comment, yes Dodge will be changing to the 6.7L from the 5.9L.
  9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

The 6.4 is a $7000 option. Before I would shell out that kind of change I will wait and see if this motor is any better then the 6.0
  10. fatboy

fatboy Senior Member

I wouldn't buy the first year for a new motor, your just asking for it ! :angry:
  11. redneck farmer

redneck farmer Senior Member

I have the 2004 6.0 powerstroke and have not had any real trouble with it, knock on some hard wood... The Cummins is an AWSOME engine, but with these new emissions standards I think many of the engines are going to have some troubles. Would think I will stick with Ford because they have always done right by me. I love the way the Super Duty’s look and their overall set up I can't stand the Chevy front end, I like the straight axle, to me too many parts on the Chevy more chances of failure with the heavy load of the plow, but what do I know? I am not sure if I can bring myself back to another Dodge the last one I had the transmission went with 36,000 miles on the odometer and I got TERRIBLE service from the dealer and from Dodge.
  12. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

only $7k for the diesel option. that's not too bad, the f450 pickup is listing for around $60k lol they are the best looking new truck though IMO
  13. I wont ever buy a ford again! I have had nothing but problems with the ford crap yeah they got more power so what! If they arent dependable who cares Me and my field guys have completely wore out a couple of cummins diesels and tried ford crap only to go back to dodge NO POWERJOKES FOR ME! I compared my service logs between the two brands and hate to tell you but the dodge is better by far!
  14. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

"Why buy a Ford?"

You like walking?

Seriously though, just like the commercials always show, they are tough. But compared to my Dodge Cummins I hate driving our F350's. They are so stinking slow to get up to speed. They always have too, but I guess they have been consistent in that. We just had injectors go out again for the 2nd time in 2 years on one of the Fords.
  15. Read my post in the dodge section under I will never buy a ford again and maybe you will get the idea.

OUT-SIDEMAN Junior Member

Say what?

I heard and remember seeing a report that Ford went away from the 7.3 for the reason you are stating for the 6.0.
    Either way, I"m sure I will not go Chevy. I have looked at the Dodges. The interiors leave a lot to be desired, But the Cummins sures looks good. The truck as a whole leaves a lot to be desired really.
    Dang, I'm between the Ford and the Dodge. And here I thought I made my mind up!
  17. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

The 7.3 is 444 ci.
    Unless you have modded your truck, an 06 Cummins will outpull you on any grade out there. It just has more TQ and HP.
  18. Rampart Ranger

No modifications, and pulling load I have NEVER had a Ram or GMC with comparable load pass me on an uphill grade (they have passed me on the flat, with that load I keep her 60-65 max).

No brag, just my experience.

MIGHT check out the new Cummins, 6.7 L. simply because add says engine brake (not exhaust brake I hope) is offered. Medium duty diesels really should have engine brake if used to pull decent loads in mountainous terrain.
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2007
  19. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i can't really say i am crazy about any one brand of truck most of the feedback i am hearing about ford/dodge is related more toward the motor manafacture more than the actual truck itself. if you go out and buy a peterbuilt truck and hate the truck because it has a detriot under the hood don't hate peterbuilt hate the motor. as far as comparing cummins vs international v8 there is no comparison they are two totally different designs. cummins and a international dt466 would be a better comparrison. anyways i have six 7.3 internations and haven't had any complaints other than they are a little low torque and hp but very reliable.
  20. Jakkle5

Jakkle5 Member
    from Mass

The dodge would be cool if it didnt look like a preschool with a rubber hammer assembled the interior with legos. They have to be the cheapest pricks when it comes to interiors.