1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why billing by inch don't work well in Buffalo NY

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grandview, Feb 23, 2015.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

At the official measuring station for snowfall in Buffalo so far we just pasted 100 inches for the season.So if you had to use those totals you'd be in the hole by a lot.Localized totals are closer to 200 inches for the season.In some cases within a mile of the official totals.

2. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I decide how much snow I am plowing by what is on the ground outside my door.

3. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

1 mile is 63,630 inches...its within that. That's about as close as they get.

4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

You're close but you might want to double check that. :D

5. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

If you notice more mistakes it's cause This old guy got an iPad and it does this stupid stuff where it switches crap on me and I suck at proofreading, but you know what I mean don't you Chet... 63,360

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I heard seasonal was the only way to go.............

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Still making the cash! And even more when the price goes up next year.Thumbs Up

8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

You're in trouble when you get to my age. Talking to Dave today he kept comparing me to his father.
    I hate reading so I can guarantee you I don't proof read. If a red line doesn't appear under it we're good to go.

9. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

Per inch pricing is flawed anyway. I live on the coast of CT. So often we get the same amount of precipitation as the northern part of the state. We'll often get a switch over to sleet or rain because the ocean moderates our temperature. The result is we push heavy snow and can't charge as much.

10. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I'm on the coast also_Of course you can make as much! You charge whatever you want knowing those facts.If you know that,price it in!There's no statewide price list.

11. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I do take liberties with my pricing to account for that.

12. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I guess I'm confused, because the wording in my contracts is very clear on how measurements & totals are determined(never once have I been questioned.....ok, maybe once or twice...but never was it a "problem"), and I would be making WAY MORE cheddar than any comparable sized company thats all seasonal, on winters like your having.

Inch increment pricing & seasonal are the 2 best price structures imo....and although I'm not there yet, a 50/50 or 60/40 split between the 2, would be ideal...again, jmo.

13. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I actually think we make out better here on coast.Less snow,(usually,41" this year,twice the average) so you size your accounts based on the typical 2-4" storm.When a big,bad timing storm hits,you do the best to service accounts in a timely way.Plus saltings are a veritable gold mine!.If you're talking residential then the inland crew has it way better,but zero tolerance commercials are great on coast.Just my 2 cents lol

14. AccuCon

AccuCon Senior Member
    from CT

Contracts state snow fall is as measured at the lot

Per event w/ inch based pricing and seasonal are def. the way to go...

Nobody has time for per push paperwork...plus the arguments that could be made...you came too much, you didnt come enough, why did you have to come so many times, why didnt you come so many times, oh my god you came that many times and you're charging me how much....