1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

"Why Are You Plowing My Drive...Theres Only 5"On It"

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Daner, Jan 28, 2007.

1. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

Why am I plowing now...??So you can get out:dizzy:

I Got a 4x4 sonny...I can get through that...I want to get my moneys worth.wesport

Have you guys ever ran Into these people??

2. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

yep RUN RUN FAST!!!!!!!!!:gunsfiring: :gunsfiring: THERE TO CHEAP

3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Ditto!! I hate people like that. They are the kind who say some body else will plow it out for 5 dollars. Run very, very FAST!!!:gunsfiring:

4. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Yeah, run as far as you can. If they don't like it too bad. 5" is more than enough to justify plowing. If he's got a 4x4 then he doesn't need to be plowed out, or so he thinks.:dizzy: I had one last year that wanted a 2" trigger, so that was fine. First snow was 5" show up to the drive (3rd on my route) about 30 minutes after it stopped snowing and the lasy had her neighbor plow for her. She said that he was just looking for something to do because he only plowed his driveway. I said OK, but you still gotta pay me. After two weeks I got the check in the mail. I told her that I was no longer going to be doing her driveway.:D

5. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

Never had that problem. All of mine are commercial contracts except for the residentials that always call me around 10 a.m. if they can't get out. They all know that they are SOL until that night though. I would make sure you have contracts that clearly state what the trigger is. If they want 5" it would easily double their price for me.

6. Daner

Run?

She told me the other snow man never plowed until It was this deep...(holding her hands
    1- 1/2 feet apart.

Yes Mrs what ever your name Is... If I come when Its that deep , Its going to cost you more money.:nod:

Sunny..If you come here every time there 3" on the ground ITs going to cost me a fortune:p

7. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

Yes it is mam. Yes it is. payup

8. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Run!! I had a customer like that, after we had 4 storms of 3" he called and wanted to know why I had not plowed him:realmad: OK you now have 10" of snow I charge extra for thatpayup . WHAT A ***** to plow, the tire ruts where frozen... the plow jumped and banged. Then he complains that the plow didn't get the ice up and left snow between the mounds of of frozen tire ruts!!!!!!!! RUN!

9. a guy I know has a friend that wanted me to clear his driveway after a pretty big storm once. Now this guy works at the airport and does not have time to clear his snow...ever. So this one time he wants me to do his driveway I say ok since it'll only take a minute. I get to his house and there were like two previous snow falls still on the drive with a nice think layer of ice under it all and exactly like theplowmeister said the tire tracks were all frozen and the end of the driveway at the street was next to impossible to clear due to the ice. That guy for sure got his money worth and I'll prolly never do his again.

10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Yep they want you to bring your Magic Plow and clear away a month of snow falls and charge them the regular rate. Hummm - NOT !

11. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Thats when you break out the 5 gallons of gas and dump it in the drive and light a match.:gunsfiring: Wanna talk about instant snow removal!!!!

12. Mr frosty

Mr frosty Member
    from canada

m

thats why i hate residential:dizzy:

13. Flake Chaser

Flake Chaser Member
    from CT

Yup had an old timer tell me that my truck could've pushed the ten inches of snow. I simply said well if you or your wife had a heart attack and EMS couldn't get you out in time I'd be the first person you would sue. Oh by the way when my truck breaks doing your driveway it'll cost me more than your $40 driveway CLICK. I'm starting to think sub-contractor is a better deal. Not the best money but no BS. I second hating residential

I really hate people telling me my job:angry: :angry:

14. Easy

Easy Senior Member

I had a residential customer with an 800' drive, over a small creek, up a hill with 2 parking areas at the top. He wanted it plowed only if there were 6" of snow, but wanted it done before 5:00 a.m. Well, I would go plow at 4:30 a.m. guessing at the 6" depth, only to have him call and complain that it wasn't deep enough to plow. Needless to say, I no longer have him as a customer. Who in their right mind is going to get out of their truck to measure if there is 4 or 6" of snow on the ground.
    Don

15. DeereFarmer

If your trigger is 6" then you really should not plow at 4":D

16. Daner

My trigger with Mrs what ever her name Is...Is 2":D ...I will wait till she pays me for that 1 push I did...sent the bill yesterday...and reminded her that trigger means ..when I start to plow:nod:

17. DeereFarmer

Sometimes once people see that you are not going to back down and give into them they'll change their tune. I swear a lot of these people think that we should be honored to have them as our customers and that we are scared that they will give us the boot if we put up a fuss about something. It is all a game. Good job Daner!

18. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

I have 3 gas stations that I plow (1 district manager in charge for all 3). Our first plowable event was a week and a half ago. Well the trigger is 3", plowed em. I get a call the next day and the DM says "I have a problem, you weren't suppose to plow yesterday and you did" I said "No sir, yesterday we had 3.02" and our agreement is that I plow @ 3 inches" Well he then raises his voice saying "Well I don't want you to plow during the day because the cars from the street bring in the salt and melt the snow down. I thought our agreement was that you only plow at night". I replied "Sir I aplogize for for the misunderstanding we'll have to modify the agreement". Oh by the way I get paid cash on the spot from these stations so I didn't have any payment issues. Needless to say this guy is no longer in my route.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2007
  19. X-LOWBALLER

X-LOWBALLER Senior Member
    from Toronto

I hate residential properties with a passion. I will never plow them again after this year. Too many bosses and too many headaches. Commercial properties rock IF they pay within 30 days.

20. Sydenstricker Landscaping

I have my money in 15 days from all of my commercialspayup :D