1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why are skinny tires better for plowing?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by beatle78, Nov 22, 2008.

1. beatle78

beatle78 Senior Member

Hi guys,

It seems like all the 3/4 ton plow truck have skinny tires on them. Why is that?

My '03 Silverado 1500 has 265/75/r16 on it.

Should I put on 235/85/r16 on it to plow?

Thanks,
    beatle78

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Skinny tires = more PSI on the ground

3. beatle78

beatle78 Senior Member

so more weight on the road?

Does that mean that you will have worse handling in dry weather b/c there is less rubber on the road?

4. nixray

nixray Senior Member

My Dad is a ASE cert. Tire Pro (has been for 16 yrs....the man knows his tires) He says the
    more skinny the tire the lower your psi (like the "plowmister" said) So in otherwords with a wide tire you will 'float' on the snow/ice and with skinny tires you'll be able to obtain traction. I'll post a more detailed answer later (I'm on a BlackBerry)

5. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I am pretty sure I have heard somewhere it is all about the resistance of the snow. A wide tire means your pushing against more resistance. A skinny tire will drop the resistance factor because it's pushing less. At least that is the explanation I heard.
    I am sure a 265 vs a 235 won't be that big of a deal. Now if you were going from a 12.5" wide tire to a 8" tire, that might be cause to worry about things a little

6. theplowmeister

from MA

Everything is a compromise Less rubber on the road = less roling resistance = higher gas milage and LOOOONGER stoping distance, less handling (unless its wet or snow/icy).

7. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

skinny tire = higher psi.

8. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I plow with 285 70 17's. The weight of a Cummins, plow, and ballast gives me plenty of traction.

9. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

dry handling is all in the compound . how firm the rubber is like race cars have sticky tires .

10. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Either one and you will be fine. Pick which one you would use if you weren't plowing snow. This becomes more of an issue when you compare stock tires compared with something like 33-12.50s'

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  11. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

correct!!! :nod:

12. beatle78

beatle78 Senior Member

Thanks. I was thinking about a good all around All Terrain tire (and by good I mean good and cheap)

Does anyone have any recommendations for either 235/85/r16 or 265/75/r16 tires? That are good all around and for plowing?

13. stcroixjoe

stcroixjoe Senior Member

i just ordered 235/85/16 cooper atr's for plowing only i should have them on tomorrow and hopefully some snow this week to test them and i'll let you know

14. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Well i have a question if i put my plow down and start pushing snow out of my way does it matter what size tire or is it just when you drive thought the snow just a thought

15. theplowmeister

from MA

Like I said

16. N.W.Plow

N.W.Plow Junior Member
    from N.W.

I was just going to say that.

17. lumps

lumps Senior Member

As an FYI, those are not the same diameter tire. It will throw your speedo off.

18. ScnicExcellence

ScnicExcellence Senior Member

They are off by only 2 mm i am sure the speedo will handle it.

The 235 85 tires are bigger then the 265 75 In height difference by 2mm in total height.

but the 265 is 3cm (1.18 inches) bigger then the 235 in width difference

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  19. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Gentlemen....

The skinner tire, the higher GROUND PRESSURE that is applied. The higher the ground pressure, the more the tires are forced to perform thus leaving you with better traction. My trucks look silly becuase they are so big, and the winter tires are so small, but I never have traction issues. Wide tires are for summer, not winter.

Unfortunately, that is incorrect. A 265 vs a 235 will make a night and day difference.

You will obtain even much better traction, and spin your tires a lot less, if they were skinnier.

BFG Radial All Terrain T/A KO

Pushing snow, or driving over it, you will want all the traction you can get, all the time.

20. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Pushing snow, or driving over it, you will want all the traction you can get, all the time.[/QUOTE]

I just thought i would throw that out there

I run 245 75 R16 the Widetrack Baja AT's on the 93" and 265 75 R16 Widetract Baja AT's on the 99" they seem to work well for the price i paid some where around $575.00, however i did plow right next to a truck with new BFG's and did a vee with the other truck i found my truck sliding away from his anyway i'm satisfied with the tires.