1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why are people so cheap?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jglandscaping, Nov 10, 2005.

1. jglandscaping

jglandscaping Senior Member

I had a customer last year, called them the other day to see if they wanted us to plow again this year. They were easily our biggest account, I little less than 1/4 mile of dirt driveway attacted to private rd (2 accounts). She said that I was really expensive last year and how we had so much snow and so fourth...I can't predict the weather any better than the next guy. Well she was telling me about other bids she got and how they were cheaper than mine and so fourth. I had perfect customer service for this lady, came when she couldnt get up the steep, long driveway in her Honda Civid:realmad: at 10pm, despite the fact we only had 5 inches of snow and it was pretty much done (wait to the end especially at that time of night). Well we talk for a little about all this crap and tell her more about quality and so fourth and how we really take care of her, and then she lets out, "I've never had my driveway look so good and be so wide James, you really do a good job," WTF then, why the hell don't you just have me do it again this year again:realmad: :realmad: :realmad: ?? Just to save $200 and get some guy who is gonna make it 1 car width and get his truck stuck?? (also said every other guy has gotten their truck stuck doing it (we NEVER got close)).
    Thanks for letting me vent
  2. glenspot

glenspot Senior Member

I feel your pain.

People are used to buying their crap at Wal Mart for the cheap price.. They are SO price concience now, that they will give up a proven pro for a couple of bucks per push.

The best you can do is to move on...and be a bigger man.

3. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

Why?? Because snow melts...and all is forgotten.:(
  4. Great Lakes Sno

Great Lakes Sno Junior Member

Your question is why are people so cheap? its not that people are cheap the question should be why are contractors willing to do the work so cheap?
    While most of us try to maintain a decent standard you have others who try to cheapin our industry by doing a $200.00 per push job for a considerably cheaper rate leaving money on the table.
    Therefore giving the customer cheaper options.
    I don't mean to get into a debate about what other companies chagre, because some solo operators will charge less due to lower overhead etc.
    All we can do is charge what we need to get out of each job and let the service that we provide be are business card.
    We all have lost customers due to pricing and so be it, sometime you will see that a closed door opens windows to other oppertunities.
    All right I'am now officially off my soapbox.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

5. sir spaniourd

sir spaniourd Senior Member

I just had te same problem. I lost a few accounts because somebody is offering lower prices. i wonder if this guy is going to show up everytime. I just going to keep doing what I am doing, building a good reputation and they will come.
  6. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Since you lost the job anyway and she obviously has no loyalty to you, call her and ask her the following:

"Hey, since I don't plow for you anymore can I at least have a BL0WJOB" ? :eek:

I hate people like that...
  7. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

You know, Glenspot made a good point. I think people are developing a Walmart mentality, now that there is one on every corner they are accustomed to getting everything cheap, they dont realize that we cant hire Chinese kids to come here and plow driveways for 50 cents a day like the way Walmart gets all their stuff made.
  8. scholzee

scholzee Senior Member

Does anyone shop around for their truck or plow or just buy from the first place you go to ? We all do it, I have to admit it does hurt when its a customer who has been with you and complemented you in the past. Its best to be polite and leave on good terms because chances are they may be calling and needing you back in the furture and you just need to hold in the I told you so comment !!!
  9. I'm pissing myself over that one!!! That might fit on my business cards somwhere.

A funny story...When I lived in WV in the mid-90's I had a strip bar (gentleman's club) as a commercial account. EVERY storm the manager would ask me if I wanted to spend some time with one of the girls rather than collect my $95. And every time I had to explain that "I've yet to have a blow job worth $95 so I'll just take the money instead." LOL

Be safe everyone.

10. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

To take this one step further. The next time any of us are in the market to purchase something think about how you like to be treated when you are trying to sell something to somebody and what you place value in. Everybody has to make a living and they do this , just as we do, by making a profit, so just keep in mind that when you shop it should be to just keep people honest rather than to try to get it for as close to nothing as possible.
  11. Andy N.

Andy N. Senior Member

I have to agree with Scholzee on this. We ALL shop around for a better price. I did it today on a new transmission for one of our trucks. Sure, I checked the price on my usual place, but I shopped around for a better price. It may bite me in the ass that this job won't be a good as XYZ Shop, but I'm willing to take a chance, for a lower price. Leave this woman on good terms and she may call back after the other guy possibly does a worse job, then charge her more for your time.
    I had that happen to me twice this month. I just went out and picked up two bigger accounts. If those places call me in a month, I will service them, but at an increased price. If they don't like, they can kiss it. I already filled their spots.