1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why are other companies out during storms and we go out at end of storm?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by 4-Seasons, Jan 25, 2014.

1. 4-Seasons

4-Seasons Junior Member
    from NJ

We always see big lots get plowed when storm just starts and throughout. We only go out at end of storm and charge what we plowed in inches which is stated on our contract.
    If you are out during whole storm goes does that work for get paid?
  2. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Yup we get paid hourly throughout the storm.

Large commercials can't take.chances of slip and falls
  3. Emmanuel

Emmanuel Member

We always plow once there's 1/2" or so on the pavement. And don't stop until the snow has finished and everything has been salted. Everything is T&M.
  4. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I do residential. People do not want to pay twice to get a driveway done.

I have one commercial. They open 9 am M. 12 pm T W Th. F S S they are closed. Which is good because it allows me to put them last if I need to. They have only wanted me to have it cleaned before they open. Never during the storm.

Now there are businesses that stay open during storms and can not wait for the storm to stop.

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

We start at the beginning, reasons other than no slip and fall is because with lake effect it adds up fast,
    If guys can't get there to plow then what happens if we're already there it don't build up as much!
  6. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Our commercial props are zero tolerance. It starts snowing, we start plowing. This all figured into the seasonal price.
  7. djt1029

djt1029 Senior Member

All my commercials are open during storms, so we plow with the storm. It's all figured into the pricing
  8. LawnGuy110

LawnGuy110 Senior Member

if there is 2 inches on the ground we are out plowing...most of the time we go out before that though...from there we jut plow with the storm
  9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I'll never get how a contractor charges by the hr for snow plowing...

I have one customer that has a 1/4 inch trigger.
    We will plow it every time 1/4" accumulates.
    From 5am to 5pm
    We charge by the push on all lots.
    We can't wait until it stops snowing to plow.
    The 24/7 restaurants want 24/7 service too

What if it snows for days?
    Are you only going out after it stops?

resi could see 2 pushes a day, before they go to work and just before the work day is over as snow permits.

We plow as the trigger depth is met.
  10. 4-Seasons

4-Seasons Junior Member
    from NJ

If we know it is going to snow more the 10-12inches we will go out most likely twice. Anything under we go when storm is coming to end.
  11. 4-Seasons

4-Seasons Junior Member
    from NJ

So for seasonal pricing you give a price say $5000 for a small convenience store? they pay monthy? or up front? it snows 20 times in season and basically you go there 50-60 times?
  12. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Only my resi are seasonal

All seasonal s are on a prepay bases.
    some will be given a 2 pay option.
    1st payment Nov, 1st
    2nd payment due Jan1st.

I have found most business don't want to deal with the snow during business hrs and I have found that I can't control when it snows or how much will fall.
    I don't know what business wants to deal with 3" and counting building up on the lot and sidewalks as the plow guy waits for it to stop snowing.

A lot of snow can build up before it stops snowing...

We can't wait for it to stop snowing then plow, money is to be made.
    sell a trigger depth and plow by the push, giving you more opportunity to make money.
    We make money as nature permits.
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  13. 4-Seasons

4-Seasons Junior Member
    from NJ

Still don't understand. If I say by push. I can push 10 times during storm? Customer won't like that.
  14. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Not complicated. You give them a price for each piece per hour. Shovelers, skid, trucks, etc

Then they pay you per hour for each piece.

A lot depends on what and who youre plowing for
  15. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

As a business owner paying by the hr., how am I assured of productivity?
    A operator/ shovel operator that is not proficient, is sick, fighting with the wife/girlfriend or tired is not going to be as productive as they could be.
    to many variables.

The same work could vary by many billing hrs Depending on the condition of your equipment or personal.

I'm sure a lot depends.....

When your lot is paved does the paving contractor bill for paver hrs, dump truck hrs, roller hrs, shoveler s hrs, lute operator hrs or is it a set price for the lot?

A shovlers output is going to vary greatly from hr to hr and day to day.
    This is also so for machine operators.

We all know that in some will do (lets use bobcats)
    bill X for a bobcat per hr, with a minimum charge.

Billing by the hr sounds like a lot of extra work and a crap-shoot for the business owner.

I guess if everyone is happy with it,
    HAVE FUN...

16. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Its always been like that for zero tolerance lots. Its not a crap shot
  17. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Roll of the dice, how much will it cost this time?

It is for the business owner.
    The time a 2" snow fall could take you to do (lets say 2hrs) and the next time it could take you 3hrs for the same 2" "depending"
    a crap-shoot.

I have a low tolerance lot.
    It's by the push and it's done during the storm not after.
    Their bill is not a surprise they know it will cost x every time we service the lot.

It snowed for 24hrs on your zero tolerance lot, what do you bill for a truck with a competent operator a hr?
    $75 -$100 a hr?.
    And how many snow shoveler's does it take to have it maned for 24hrs and at what$$ an hr.

It just sounds like your making a lot of desk work for you and your people compiling hrs.

Again if it works for you.Thumbs Up

I couldn't sell it but, more power to you.
    Other than the zero tolerance lot(s) do you go out depending on trigger depth or do you go our after the storm is over.
  18. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

All but two of our lots are zero tolerance. One is also per hour when the storm is over. The other one is just for sidewalks when the storm is over, also.

Trucks are $125
    Laborers are $30
    Skids are $140

We also have 4 loaders, with 2 3 lane wide pushers and one 3 lane plow. The other one rides around with the bucket pushing piles and scraping hardpack.

There's a slight price increase over 6 Inches. They also provide salt on salt and Mag pallets.

We've been doing the lots for a few years now, never had any complaints. It's a high end local property owner company. Our flagship lot is nationally known.
  19. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

What exactly are you using to push a 27' wide box or plow? I am going by minimum lane width stated by DOT of 9'.
  20. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Full size cat loaders. I don't remember the exact size. They're not quite 27 wide. They will cover 2 lanes easily. Protech pushers

I think the lanes are 8, not 9