1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why are dealers theives?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by MnDLawn, Dec 7, 2009.

1. MnDLawn

MnDLawn Senior Member

I was looking to buy a Buyers TGS06 tailgate spreader today. I called one dealer and they wanted $1576 for the spreader, plus install. So I called around and found it at another dealer for $875, same damn spreader for $700 cheaper. It wasn't on special or anything, they had five in stock and sell them all the time at that price. I'm calling the one dealer tomorrow and ripping him a new butt. Why the need for a $700 markup?
  2. Chipmunk

Chipmunk Member

Could be lots of reasons. Maybe they carge more for labor. Its possible they have different equipment thats harder to use or do not have the right equipment at all. Its also possible that their supplier isn't giving them the price margin that the other company is getting.

Or... They could be ripping people off. But could be for lots of different reasons.
  3. fordzilla1155

fordzilla1155 Senior Member

It is called free enterprise. Do you charge the same or less then any other company in your area? Always get a written quote and beware of the fine print..
  4. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

They can charge whatever they want. If you don't want their product/service at their price, go somewhere else.
  5. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

That's really hard to believe. The same spreader for $700 more? Doesn't make sense to me.
  6. MnDLawn

MnDLawn Senior Member

I know what it's called, but how is their fine print in buying a salt spreader? I'm just pissed because this dealer has ripped me off in the past with mowing equipment.
  7. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

Here's a good one speaking of price differences, in '07 I bought a BOSS 8' poly V, and an 8' VXT, both brand new, with installation, for $4,600 each. They did an awesome job on the installs, clean as can be, never had a problem with either one, and had both trucks in the shop at 2pm and had them out by 7pm. I kid you not.

Realizing the great deal I got I shared the info with a good buddy who called the next day and was quoted $5,400. He called me and told me I was full of sht, I had to show him my receipt to get him to believe me. What the heck happened there?
  8. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

A lot of people in sales positions get bonuses for hitting certain sales numbers. Maybe you got a great deal at the end of the month, or quarter, because the guy needed one more sale to put him over the edge? I have a buddy who sells cars who told me this. You can often get the best deal at the end of the month because they want to get to the next higher payout level so bad.
  9. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

No surprise to me. I've run into that many times. Just gotta look out for yourself. And Dealers wonder why there is no loyalty.
  10. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

No crap... everytime i'm in a lawn equipment dealer here they are all whining about lack of loyalty, meanwhile they refuse to get or stay in touch with reality when it comes to product info, updates and pricing. Their prices are way off the board and they know nothing about newer products and very little about the competitor's products. I cannot believe these places could be so ignorant about their own business. Unbelievable! They don't know enough accurate info about the product to really sell it to you, and their price is higher than anywhere else and they wonder why you never spend any money with them, then come around with new equipment from somewhere else??? They act so confused. :dizzy:
  11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Could be dealer A includes everything while dealer B has the "on the phone price" but then adds mounting system, control system, installation, etc.
  12. cplmac

cplmac Senior Member
    from Dundee

As an American I'm a pro-free market kind of guy. That being said a 100% markup is borderline criminal. I've been absolutely floored at the high prices of tailgate spreaders out there, SnowEx being possibly the most overpriced equipment I've ever seen. I get high prices for the season and fluctuations and variations but what you are talking about there is more like the middle finger than capitalism. My guess is somebody has paid that price.
  13. MnDLawn

MnDLawn Senior Member

Nope, I bought the spreader yesterday for $875 + tax out the door. Came with the controller and all mounting hardware. Nice unit.
  14. hedhunter9

hedhunter9 Senior Member

You got a deal from a Lowballer !! LOL

Depends on the dealers cost. Buy 7 of them and you get a $100 lower cost

Only buy one ya pays more....

I can tell you, you got a very very good buy...
  15. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

i am looking at that same spreader, i have found many sites offering it for less then $1000, sourced it locally, and was told $2000, because they had to get it over the boarder, i cry BS, i have brought things over the boarder before, shipping in, duty, taxes, time allowed for, etc, i figure, the highest it is going to cost me around $1100, all said and done, AND, i am pretty sure they aren't paying $900 for the unit to start either, just trying to scam people because we haven't been hit as hard with the economy doesn't mean you need to gouge
  16. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

then why keep going back to them?
  17. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Focus on the positive-You were smart enough to shop it around, and lucky enought o save yourself $700.00. You should be happy about that-take your wife/kids/girfriend out onthe found money-celebrate-congrats!

Don't waste your time on negativity and the stress surrounding the whole ordeal. It causes elevated blood pressure, anxiety, or worse.:drinkup:
  18. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I was wondering the same thing..:dizzy:
  19. cda817

cda817 Senior Member

It all depends on the volume of units that a dealer buys and there location. I bought my 1.8cy Polycaster for 4300 out the door in Massachusetts an hour from my house. The dealer near my house wanted 6700 for the same unit. The dealer that I buy my lawn equipment from says its wholesale if you buy 1-5 units from the manufacturer its xxx$ if you buy 5-15 its xxx$ and so on. It also has to deal with the location of the dealer and the cost of trucking to get it to the dealer. If they are close to a major hub then the trucking costs were less.
  20. turboguy

turboguy Member

It could be a situation such as CDA said that there are larger discounts when someone buys more and also if they are buying truckloads the freight they pay will be a lot cheaper. If you combine a larger discount with cheaper shipping it can make a big difference.

It is also possible that someone has thier money tied up in units they bought last year and wants to free up the capitol. Winter ended a little abruptly last year in some areas and there were dealers who carried over more than they would have liked. One way or the other the lower priced guys were more motivated to sell.