1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why are Blizzard plows better???????

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by 01FordPlower, Dec 7, 2006.

1. 01FordPlower

01FordPlower Member
    from PA

I am finally going to put a plow on my truck this year. At first the only thing in my mind was a Fisher or a Western, both straight plows. Then yesterday I went to go look at a Blizzard plow. The 800HD plow looked much more heavy duty then the a Fisher and Western. My concerns were with the way the plow raises and lowers. How does the pump handle with out chains lifting it and dropping it? And do you like the joysticks over the touch pad? The joystick feels more natural. And what are your experiences with the Blizzard over its competitors? Thanks,

Josh :help:
  2. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

all of us blizzard owners know our plows are the best, ive used several meyer plows and a couple of westerns, none of them compare to the blizzards though.
  3. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Not me, if your talking strait blade, hands down its Western for me. I like my Blizzard 810, but when it comes to strait blades Western is my choice.
  4. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Because I said so.

GWORKS Junior Member

If you get a Blizzard go with the 810. You need to be a little more careful with the wings out but the time it saves you is well worth it.
  6. cowboysfan

cowboysfan Junior Member

Whats the western got that the blizzard doesnt?
  7. snowsniper1

snowsniper1 Senior Member

any bodt use a 8611???????????
  8. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 8611 on a 2000 F-450

What do you want to know ?
  9. StorksAuto

StorksAuto Senior Member

We have an 86-11 on one of our plow trucks and my dad loves it he choses that over all of the other 400 plows in the parking lot.
  10. Stone Mountain

Stone Mountain Member

We have an 8/6-11 on an 06 F-550 Dump. awesome plow. It'll move a mountain of snow, but it is heavy.
  11. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I have 2 full size 8611's and 2 LoPro's.
  12. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

We have an 8611lp and a 810. I don't know if anyone else would agree, but I really like that extra .5 foot and I think that it trips alot less because of this on some of our places. We plow mostly townhouse units and a few have speed bumps and I even like the way the 8611lp rides over the speed bumps. I am pretty careful with the wings, but we have had issues with them. They are pretty easy to fix though, and the good thing is that it is still a great stright blade without them.

13. mon4t

mon4t Junior Member

hey guys,

just to let you know i heard that western plows is going to buy out blizzard plows but thay will still keep making them and as you know western and fisher are partners that what i heard from some of the buisnesses that sell western plows in buffalo, new york

14. SnowDozers

SnowDozers Member

Welcome to a year and a half ago. DOUGLAS DYNAMICS bought Blizzard Plows. As part of the deal the owners of Blizzard Plows retained rights on the patent and use it on their Rock-it line of Dozer blades. Douglas also owns Fisher and Western, who still build plows as competition, not as partners. Blizzard is more than likely going to be a competitor as well, however I imagine that the patent for the PowerPlow and SwingWing will be shared down the line, eventually. Hopefully the merge will provide for better service, R&D and more advancements.
  15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

DD and Blizzard already did the deal...................last spring.
  16. mon4t

mon4t Junior Member

thanks guys i learned something today about that now i know that real truth.

Thanks mike
  17. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

I've never had trouble with Fisher or Meyer snowplows scraping, or breaking, and I plow parking lots, private roads, and driveways.
  18. jglandscaping

jglandscaping Senior Member

They did the deal alright...rumor has it that this will be the last year for blizzard snow plows.
    Rumor also has it Western and Fisher will be coming out with some new ones next year....hmmmm.
    BTW, fisher is better:angel:
  19. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I can't dog the (relatively) new Blizzard plows or the newest of Western plows because I haven't used them. They do look like pretty good products. I have never been impressed with Meyers, Hiniker, or Snoway. I have to say that despite liking the looks of Blizzard & Western, I probably won't venture away from Fisher because I've found them to be darn near bulletproof.
  20. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Well, here is my issue. I am going to replace my meyer this year with either a boss 7.5 ft straight blade or possibly a 7.5 ft blizzard? Question I have, if anyone knows it, how much more does a blizzard cost than a boss? The Boss I want is $4300 installed. I love the look of the Blizzard, just they are so heavy.