1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why all the east coast plow trucks selling

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by kipcom, Feb 19, 2004.

1. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Whats up east coast snow plowers !!!! seems Ebay is crammed with plow trucks for sale all over the Northeast coast.... take your pick all price ranges. Is somebody running them off ?
  2. crashz

crashz Senior Member

Lousy winter. Hardly any snow. I bet a bunch of guys bought trucks with plows after the big storm in Dec and now can't make the payments. Its been pretty tough here. Really cold, lot of lay-offs, no snow, sky rocketing energy prices.

Ugh - now I'm depressed. Time for a :drinkup:
  3. jsaunders

jsaunders Senior Member

Yes Dec. was good for snow but only a couple of small storms since. I'll have to check e-bay ( more time wasted on the computer):rolleyes: maybe I can pick up a new truck. Joel
  4. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

plowing has been all but dead here in Central MA, on the upside, I've seen more construction work than ever for this early in the year, so with no snow everyone is thinking remodeling I guess.
  5. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

Last year was a banner year up here. People were coming out of the woodwork buying trucks and plowing. This year too much competition and not enough snow. Us veterans know to take the good with the bad and weather the dry spells. Also many people are trading up to newer models due to lowest loan% and incentives.

SNOBLOMAN Junior Member

Ya, we havnt had a decent storm since Dec 18th....Nuf said.
  7. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

golf clubs locked & loaded......:gunsfiring:
  8. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

Right! Pick me up on the way by! I want outta this season. Talking about the "R" word (rain) this weekend. Caribbean here I come! :gunsfiring: :cry:
  9. crashz

crashz Senior Member

Any chance you want to get rid of the 86 for real cheap?
  10. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

You need all those fly by nighters from last year...how do you think the veterans buy all their trucks. I've personally bought 2 dirt cheap just this week and another contractor I know bought two trucks from guys that were loosing them to the bank, these were next to new 99-2000 and he picked em up under 8k. 3/4 and a one ton diesels, ones a dump, short miles loaded.

If it was an easy business everyone would be doing it. It seems like everyone has tried it but not many stick with it. It takes more then the equiopment to do the job to keep a business going.
  11. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Since I read this thread, I checked the newspaper this morning. All kinds of trucks with plows for sale. Everything from 1/2T to 3500s. From 2003s to mid 80s. I guess maybe since we had such a lousy winter for snow, everybody's trying to sell their trucks since they can't make the payments. I dropped my taxes off to the accountant's wife this morning. She said a lot of guys who plow have been able to keep working in the woods this winter since there wasn't much snow and the ground stayed frozen (usually have a Jan thaw).

We're on track for a below average snowfall for the third year in a row. Maybe with all those getting out of plowing, there'll be less competition next year. But I'm not going to count on it, just be another crop of new guys looking for a quick buck. In the meanwhile, seems like I'm getting to be pretty well known around here.
  12. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Mick where in Maine are you? I just got back from Bethel last night and there was TONS of snow. The banks on the sides of the road where almost twice as high as the cars. when you pull out the parking lots ou can't even see around the snowbanks. You have to get a little ways north of 495 (calling it 95 now) to really see alot of snow, but once you get towards oxford and north the snow is up to peoples window sills and there is NO place left to put any more. Looks like they have had well over 100" this year probley more.
  13. Q-Team Inc

Q-Team Inc Member

cja1987 -
    Im in Naples about 45 mins from Bethel. They typically get more snow than most because of the evelvation change. We would be lucky to have 8-10" left on the ground here in Naples after starting off with 50" in the first two storms. Grooming the snowmobile trails has stopped now & it looks miserable looking out the window. I agree with Mick, we are definatley on our way to another below average in Maine.:gunsfiring:
  14. Q-Team Inc

Q-Team Inc Member

15. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

thanks for the link qteam
  16. NNJSnow

NNJSnow Senior Member

Hey man post some links on here, i was just on ebay didn't see a thing, post some links to these trucks i need one. Tell me what the key search words and where on ebay you searched.
  17. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I'm on Rte 3, halfway between Augusta and Belfast. We've only gotten 40" with a seasonal average of 76".
  18. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

were making so much money were buying new equipment

20. newengland6

newengland6 Junior Member

southern Maine hasn't had a really good amount of snow this year. The first two storms might have left 18" tops. We have bear ground. At lot of water pipes freezing. I know one guy that had his leech field freeze up on him. We need snow.