1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why ABS sucks, and why I am an Idiot...

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Bad Luck, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

..as you can tell I was not having a very good weekend......

Plow Install 085.jpg

2. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

another shot...dented my bumper, tweaked my trailer harness plug, busted my reverse light, and hopefully didn't mess up my hitch..... :realmad:

Plow Install 078.jpg

3. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Bad Luck?

I Don't if it's your log in name but they say that word speak can alter your life lol. Was this before or after you hit the fence post?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2005
  4. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

The victim.....notice in front where there is no snow, yeah that's where it was before the incident.....

Plow Install 074.JPG

5. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

What did you do, pump the brake pedal?

6. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Dang Bad Luck,
    You hit that little bugger hard enough that you almost cleaned the windshield off for them...I'd send them a bill for that. :D

So did all this happen on the same day? Someday's it doesn't pay to get out of bed. Hope the next couple of days are a bit better...maybe head over to hOOters for a couple cold ones, you deserve it.

Buck

7. oh man, talk about Bad Luck. That truely was not your day. I feel bad for the injuries to your truck, I really do. I'd feel just as bad as you probably do if that happened to me. I think of my truck more as a person than a thing. Ok, maybe that sounds corny, but hey, it's true! :cool:

8. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

No I didn't pump the brake, I just pushed on it and I began to slide, ABS kicked in and that was all she wrote....this happened about an hour after I tagged the fence post...

Buck - When the day was over I skipped Hooter's...went straight home, opened up a bottle of Johnny Black and poured myself some liquid relaxation!!! The scratches are getting fixed this week, I'm going to straighten the harness bracket and leave the bumper as is for now. I am a believer that a dent and/or a scratch in the right place adds a little bit a of character to a truck...it kind of says hey, this truck doesn't just another pretty looking truck, it actually works as a truck..... :nod:

9. Up North

Up North Senior Member

I agree man, my truck has lots of character... :cry:

Besides, I didn't think your bumper looked bad at all, at least from the picture. Let's hope it's a while before you have to visit ol' Mr. Johnny Black again. :D

Buck

10. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

Sorry to hear about your mishaps. As for pumping the brakes and ABS, it's long been said that you shouldn't pump the brakes on an ABS equipped vehicle. Now, for the most part this is true, but not always. During normal braking on dry or wet pavement, you should avoid pumping the brakes. However, it has been my experience that on snow and ice covered roads, this does not hold true. If your driving on snow and/or ice covered surfaces and you apply your brakes and in turn the brakes lock-up (truck starts to slide),....GET OFF THE PEDAL. Instead, once you feel the brakes lock-up, "stab" the pedal numerous times. In most cases this will "unlock" the wheels and allow you to regain directional control of the vehicle. Remember that the wheels (especially the fronts), must be rotating in order for you to have directional control over the vehicle. I know it might sound crazy, but it always works for me. For example, during our first storm, I driving along at a sane rate of speed, don't like the idea of cracking up my $40K truck and I was approaching a downhill section of roadway. Just prior to the top of the hill, I applied the brakes and immediately the ABS went nuts, the brakes locked-up and the truck began to slide. Because the front tires were locked, I had no directional control and was heading towards the curb. I got off the brakes, stabbed them a few times, the wheels unlocked and I regained control. If I had stood on the brake, I'd have hit the curb no doubt.

Ryan

11. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

Thats why you need the pro-cut accident policy

HIT

RUN

DENY EVERYTHING

12. DJL

DJL Senior Member

I don't know if this has any merit...

perform a search on the net and you'll find that certain '04 chevy truck owners will be receiving a recall notice on their brakes. Something to do with hydraulics failing. Might be worth your while to look into it.

13. bobingardner

bobingardner Senior Member

I can feel your pain since I did something similar to the trailer power socket on my Chevy Monday by backing into frozen snow bank. I felt like crap until I got a replacement part from the dealership. I must have backed up a hundred times that day and the one time I wasn't paying attention cost me $50.

14. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I feel your pain. The first plow time of this year one of my drivers takes my new 2500HD and backs hard into a concrete light ploe base in the mall parking lot. The pole smacked my new Spreadator stainless Vbox right in the middle of the engine box. Put a nice dent in it to. The concrete base hit my hitch and bent my bumper down quite a ways to. :yow!: 5 nights later I was in a rush loading the Vbox with my snow bucket on the skidloader and had to much in the bucket and tipped directly into the side of my box. I was hung up with my face pressed against the windshield of the machine which was against the truck. It was such a stupid mistake I almost laughed except it was pretty scary when the machine finally came free and bounced backwards and almost over! put a nice dent in my new truck and a big one in my pride!Oh well I guess if you never do anything nothing will ever go wrong, right? :nod:

15. schnitz

schnitz Member

I feel your pain too... I wiped out my truck yesterday. I posted all the gory details about it in the lounge. The body shop foreman said that he may have to total it. It's gunna be close. Hood, fender, radiator, core support, battery, bumper, headlight area assemlby all on the right front. Yep, my old friend has got a ton of character now...

16. Plow King jr.

Plow King jr. Member

Wow that sucks we have had something like that happen over here to. :(

17. Bldrs83

Bldrs83 Member

I used to pull the ABS fuse out of my '97 Chevy when I was plowing to keep the ABS from tightening up the pedal and freaking out on the low speed slides. When I would pull the fuse out, the brakes would work just like the old style of brakes. I started doing this after a little girl riding a sled down a hill came around the corner of a building in front me. When I hit the pedal I was probably going about 5 m.p.h. so the pedal was kicking back at me and the truck was doing nothing to slow down, so I had to put the truck in reverse to stop. I got out and pulled the fuse out right there.

18. Go Pats

Go Pats Junior Member

ABS fuse

Hasw anyone else pulled their ABS fuse? I've put some thought into it but don't know if any other problems would come of it. I deffinately think that part of the "plow prep package" should be an ABS switch.

19. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Bad Luck
    I know the feeling,I got in a little accident a couple weeks back more damage to the other car then my truck.We do have matching bumpers but mine may have a little more character then yours.

20. Bldrs83

Bldrs83 Member

The only thing that would happen is the ABS light would come on. As soon as I put it back in, it would go out and the brakes would work just fine. I never have taken it out of my '01 Ford. It dosen't seem to overreact to sliding like the Chevrolet would.