1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Why a snow bear is as good as any truck mounted plow

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by toiyabe, Dec 4, 2003.

1. toiyabe

toiyabe Banned
    from Tahoe

I know ya'll easterners had fun pickin' at me and defending your little truck plows. I have a photo of a parking lot berm for you, This is a berm in Truckee, now remember the snow gets pushed in to a creek, so it is actually a mite deeper. Now do you see why a snow bear plow is as good as any truck mounted plow? And a Loader and Blower is De Rigeur?

And you see why I sorta discount your "professional" status. Oh, this was not a particularly heavy winter.. This was 2000. another of our drought years.
  2. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

How's your link doin' now?

Hey, the vast majority of us do not have direct access to your hard drive, so if you'd like to change the link to point to a picture that is on the internet, not your hard drive, your gloating would be much more effective.

3. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

If you honestly think a snow bear plow is as good as any truck mounted plow.....I have this nice bridge 4 sale ill even give you a discount ;)
  4. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

I'm curious. When I was in the High Sierra's a bunch of years back at Mamouth Mountain, we had to climb down to the front door of the condo because there was so much snow. Had to be at least 5 feet. I saw huge loaders, bobcats, backhoes, enourmous truck mounted snowblowers but interestingly enough what I never saw the whole time I was there and around the town of I think it was Bishop, not one truck with a plow on it. Do they even use them??
  5. Edgewater

Edgewater Member

What I think he is trying to say is that IN HIS CONDITIONS a snow bear would be as good as any other plow BECAUSE truck mounted plows are no good at all with that much snow.

It's like me coming on lawnsite and saying that any mower under 72 inch is no good. That may be true for me if all I mow is wide open fields, nut to a guy who works in a metro are, MY POST HAS NO MEANING TO HIM.

I hope I make sense,

6. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

if we get this storm the weather people are ranting and raving about ill show you just what a small 7.6 meyers and western plow will do.post your pic here so we can see
  7. toiyabe

toiyabe Banned
    from Tahoe

photo maybe at last

8. toiyabe

toiyabe Banned
    from Tahoe

ha goody

Bring them little truck plows out west.. and push some snow.. You will do just as good as a snow bear eh?
  9. ilhmt

ilhmt Member

I suppose that you're trying to make us believe that your puny SNOWBEAR pushed all that????
    Bring them little truck plows out west.. and push some snow.. You will do just as good as a snow bear eh?

Yes, and much better than your little snowbear!!

Another thing. You said that pic was not a particularly heavy winter??? (In fact you called it a "drought" year.) Then why the pic unless you were amazed at something? Most folks don't go around taking pics of ordinary things, so methinks that you picked a particularly BAD snow and tried to impress us by calling it ordinary!!

No matter what you say, a snowbear is NOT comparable to any standard plow, it will never work as hard, last as long or be as dependable!! So get over it!!
  10. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

I can move more snow than that with a shovel:D
  11. toiyabe

toiyabe Banned
    from Tahoe

uh,, mebbe ilhmt ya didn't unner stand

I took the photo in 2000 for a friend of mine who taught in Arabia, his students had never seen snow.. and no, I didn't push that with my snow bear,, Crimine,, The point is that you can't use truck plows for any but the littlest jobs in the big hills cause you can't deal with the amount of snow here, thought that would be obvious... Loaders with big blades working in conjunction with blowers... Thought I said that a time or two.. look at the picture.. Usn's out here chuckle over our latte's at "Big storm hits east one foot expected"
  12. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Let's just wait for John Allin to chime in here. He had plenty of puiny trucks plowing the Olympics a couple years ago.
    That picture kinda looks like a drift or something. It certainly doesn't look like a machine cleared that area out. Maybe... But I doubt it.:rolleyes:
  13. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

14. toiyabe

toiyabe Banned
    from Tahoe

Ah knew it.. Plowmeister

Ah knew someone would doubt it was real. It is not only real it is normal. Here is how snow is plowed around here. The Loader makes passes till it can't, then a blower, often a blower mounted on a 960 frame makes its passes repeatedly blowing the snow to the storage location. Now Truckee/ Tahoe gets snow. average 300 inches. That is 25 feet. Just to the west the communities of Soda Springs/ Norden average over 600 inches, That is over 50 feet of snow. Only Valdez gets more in the whole US. My home out in what I call the desert, is required to withstand only 120 lbs per square foot of snowload. That is why I can plow a mile of dirt road with a snow bear. My friend Steve 10 miles west, his house must be build to withstand 360 lbs per sq. ft . Does some body back there in the mild east understand why a snow bear is as good as a Western?
  15. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Does some body back there in the mild east understand why a snow bear is as good as a Western?

Would put a western up against a snowbear any day. I have twisted my share of westerns and was able to finsh plowing for the night and i know that a snowbear wouldnt even have stayed on the truck.

The joke around here is that if you call our shop to have one installed, we give you the number of the other installer in town. Guess whos number he gives you? Ours!!!

The snowbear is a personal plow, to be used to plow your driveway at a slow rate, Thats why you buy them at Lowes and not your local equipment dealer.
  16. Radguy

Radguy Member

Can you post a pic of the actual snow bear? I don't know what they look like. But by the looks of that last pic it looks like a giant snowblower:eek:
  17. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

I would also like to see a picture of your snowbear plow. Is this the plows that you could buy at Sams Wholesale that useses a winch to pick it up?:confused: :dizzy:
  18. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

The snowbear will work great for you if your only doing a 1 mile driveway. You just get out, and angle it to the direction you want the snow to go and plow up and down the driveway until its done. For you to spend $4000 on a commercial plow is not worth it, unless you want it to last forever. Its like a homeowner buying a commercial 72" mower for his 1/2 acre property. It'll work too, and you'll never need to buy another mower again. You can actually get away with buying a cheap home depot 21'' mower.

Where commercial plows will blow the snowbear away is commercial plowing. Plowing lots for 24 hours straight.....pushing heavy wet snow...hitting the odd curb or manhole (and not breaking)....and angleing. The snowbear involves getting out and manually angleing the plow. There is no way on earth that a snow bear is as strong a plow as a commercial plow. You can't even make that statement until you do commercial plowing.

I have actually used on about 6 years ago. My first plow was basically the same as a snowbear. It lasted about one season, and all I did was 4 very small lots. When I say it lasted, I also intend to say that it took a lot of welding and reinforcing to get it done. Not to mention these lots I do now with commercial plows and it takes me a fraction of the time.

Come up here to the Okangan and I'll give you one of my routes to do, and once you do a few dozen parking lots and drives with your snowbear, vs using a real plow I think you'll realize what we are all trying to tell you.
  19. toiyabe

toiyabe Banned
    from Tahoe

God!! Ya'll still don't get it!!!

Truck Mounted Plows ALL, I repeat ALL truck mounted plows are useless if it really snows!!! Don't You Guys Understand Irony??? I feel like I am talking to rocks.. You can only use trucks where it doesn't really snow,,, enough said... go back to english class. dumb dumb
  20. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

Re: God!! Ya'll still don't get it!!!

what is your point to this thread? to TROLL for heated answers? I am sorry buddy but snowbears are pieces of ****, no way around it son, you cant polish a turd forever.

I am officially calling you out, lets see pics, either put up or SHUTUP!