1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whose got a remote starter?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NEPSJay, Nov 30, 2005.

1. NEPSJay

NEPSJay Senior Member

Just curious who on here has them and what ur thoughts were on them. I'm thinking of how nice it would be to get up in the middle of the night and hit the button before i even have that first cup of coffee and jump into a nice warm rig and take off. I seen on at wally world the other nite for like 50 bucks or something. I think it was bulldog brand, even came with an install dvd. Any idea on how much of a pain they are to install?? or are these thinks a farse? Thanks guys and gals.... Jason
  2. white south

white south Junior Member
    from East TN

My wife got me the one from wally world 2 years ago. I never could get it to work though. Matter of fact, all of the wires are still tucked up under my dash. Might of been operator error that caused it to not work. I may try to get it working tomarrow at work now that you reminded me about it.
  3. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

Remote Starter

I had one on a diesel. It was very nice. A buddy had one on his diesel. He started truck and let it idle unattended for 1 hr. The thermostat stuck shut causing the engine to over heat. A head cracked and lost engine. Moral of story. Let the truck warm up but don't let it idle long period of time. Something as easy as turning off truck and replacing thermostat cost him an engine.

I have one on a gas truck now not going to put it on new diesel.

4. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

I have two. One that my wife gave me three years ago for me to install on my 03 F-250 and another that I had the dealer install before Itook delivery of my 05 F-350. The one my wife gave me never even made it out of the box(it's under something somewhere in the shop) the other one works like a charm!!!

Highly recommend one! (that is professionally installed)
  5. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

avoid self-install

Remote starters are fantastic, but major pita for install, around here you can get them installed for 149-179(thats including the unit). Its worth it, trust me. Big difference will be the range of the starter 25'-1000', and whether you want one keyfob to do everything (replace your oem one) or a keyfob that just starts the car. Do yourself a favor and don't buy it at a chain store, go to a local car audio (small) store, the guys working have way more experience with different kinds of vehicals and typically have better starters.
  6. They are worth their weight in gold. I would not have a vehicle without one. However, do not think you can install it yourself especially on a chevy. It requires about 4 different relays, alot of wiring and a big pain in the ass. It takes a dealer about 5 hours to install it and he does it everyday. Spend the extra money to have it professionally installed. Also, any remote starter should have a fail safe to shut off in 30 minutes. Most of them also have the option to start up every 2 hours and run for 15 minutes to keep things defrosted in really cold weather. I used that once about 4 years ago when it was below zero all night. 3 of my neighbors cars were froze up solid, mine was nice and warm :yow!: when I jumped in.

And just for anyone that thinks thats crazy, It cannot be stolen, if a door opens it will disable everything until the actual key is inserted.....
  7. NEPSJay

NEPSJay Senior Member

thanks for the advice grn mtn... i never really gave them a second thought till i seen them at walmart.... maybe i call around tomorrow and see what i can get installed. THANKS!!:drinkup:
  8. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I've had 4 installed over the years at Best Buy. Wonderful!!

JRKRACE Senior Member

I installed a model 2205 on my 2004 HD2500 and have not had a stitch of trouble. Fairly easy to do and the time consuming part was SOLDERING the wires instead of butt crimping them. I can even turn on the heated seats from the remote. With GM's CAN-BUS electricla system, a passlock module is all thats needed. No Relays..No BS..
  10. Fastech

Fastech Junior Member

I have two remote starts with alarms and love them. Definitely have it installed by a shop that specializes in auto customizing, they do this stuff every day and know what they are doing. I had both of mine installed by the same shop and never had any problems. My one remote is almost ten years old and still works great. Let me know if you want the name of the shop.
  11. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I've had one for 27 years.

It's called a
    Wonderful Image Frame Elf.

Long name for WIFE.
  12. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

I use to install car starters at a mobile electronics place from my knowledge I would say astrostart (astroflex) is the best one. With all security and other bypass features in cars nowaday the ones from walmart won't work. Astrostart makes modules that work with your current security. Best thing to do is have a mobile electronics place install it (that is where the dealer goes). They have all the stuff to do it right. Our warranty was lifetime on the product and labor. Can't beat that. nothing is better than starting your car one a cold day from 2000 feet away.:D
  13. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

I have three of them one in my wife's van ,and two of my plow truck have them nothing like getting into a warm plow truck.
  14. festerw

festerw Senior Member

I installed one in my wife's Jeep last year for Christmas, no problems to date. I got one from JC Whitney and ordered a plug in harness from them, only connections I had to make were for the door locks and brakes, which were soldered.
  15. Like Said Before

Buy A Good One Or It Won't Work Right Or For Long!
  16. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I recomend a professional install, especially if you have an alarm, security key system, or a diesel. I had a Clifford alarm installed in my Ram several years ago and added the remote start option (at the time the only reliable brand with remote start available for diesel's). Clifford had always had some reliability issues, but their warranty was second to none. Had 1 brain replaced and 2 remote start units replaced under warranty- other than that works great.
    Never could get it set up off the wait to start light but it has a time delay so the heat element can finish it's cycle. It also has a 15 idle limit maximum.
    It's great to run in the store quick too- leave the truck running and take the keys with you...
    recomended item, but buy a good one. Not too sure on thse walmart Bullydog things. (bully dog CAN circumvent transponder keys, but the catch is you need to put a transponder key in the unit so it can send the signal to the car's alarm- if someone knows you have the unit in the car there's a key waiting....)
  17. larryjlk

larryjlk Member

Yeah what they all said. Buy a good one, and have it professionally installed. Would never have a another truck without one. Oh yeah, remember to leave heater controls on high before you turn motor off or you wont have a nice warm cab and defrosted windshield, Now if they would make a remote that hooks up your plow for ya while your in the house drinking coffee they'd make a million $.
  18. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

My truck has an astroflex starter in it only because it came with the truck when I bought it. Otherwise I would never have spent money on one. Having had one however, my next truck will absolutely have one installed! The thing is awesome. As for installing it...I'm no mechanic so take this with a grain of salt, but I was under the dash this summer rewiring the switches for my strobes and backup lights and there are a lot of wires under there that go to that starter. It certainly isn't anything I would even attempt to tackle without professional help!
  19. My Navigator has one. It was part of the alarm system that I had installed. It's great in both the winert and summer.

Now if I could only have the seat warmers tied into it on the cold winter days... Hmmmmm? ;)
  20. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

I have the factory mopar dodge one. It's got it's pros can cons.

It's nice to have a warm truck, etc...

HOWEVER, sometimes in cold damn conditions the truck shuts off, it doesn't have a cool down timer, or the ability to leave the truck running and take the keys out. It also needs to go to the dealer to change the programming.