1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Who's your biggest PITA customer?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by kawdude, Feb 23, 2003.

1. kawdude

kawdude Senior Member

By Far it is my father, service is FREE but eveytime I plow he has some comment about how it "should be done". And Calls me to please plow, theres a drift behind my car, Usually its about 3 inches tall and he is afraid hes gonna get stuck.

:realmad: Sorry Had to vent !

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Probably myself. Never satisfied. Always wants the banks pushed back further. Wants the littlest trails cleaned up. Doesn't pay me enough and never tips. I'd dump him but my wife won't let me.

3. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Funny you should mention that Mick... my drive way still isn't done. I pull up to the house and am too tired or have to run in to use the restroom.

Howard

4. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

My biggest PIA customer is a little old lady (whos on dialisys and having health problems, i think shes about 85 now) that lives in my neighborhood. I've cleared her driveway since like 7th grade. She wants the drive cleared, and the walks shovelled, no biggie, but heres the kicker: I cant send her a bill, she wants me to always knock on the door to get paid. I dont want to do that, half the time its on my way home and im barely awake enough to see straight, let alone drive or plow. So finally I told her that I was going to start ringing the bell at 3am, she told me to come back later that afternoon. Its better, but still would be easier to use the Postal service, that is why it was established. Oh well. I get rested up after working, so that I can deal with her without saying something I dont mean. I'd drop the account, but would almost feel bad doing that to her, its only two pushed straight in, and the sidewalk.

5. kawdude

kawdude Senior Member

called me to plow tonight, gravel drive, low spot, 10 inches of water from 3 days of warm

6. Mick

from Maine

Snowybowtie, it's hard to tell what's going on with her but you might want to cut her some slack. I know when I was having my driveway plowed, I didn't want the charges building up either. I'd leave money in a coffe can in my garage and the guy would take however much it was each time he plowed. The main reason was that I didn't want to owe a lot of money at one time and it was easier to just keep putting money in the can to cover the next time. Also, a lot of people that age don't like to owe money, they'd rather "pay as they go". Also with age comes forgetfulness and they know it. So, to cover up for possibly forgetting that she owes you money or how much, she will pay each time.

Like I said, it's hard to tell what going on. But if it's that important to her, you can bet there's a reason.

7. Mick

from Maine

deleted double post

Last edited: Feb 24, 2003
  8. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

My biggest PITA customer I dropped...

9. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Oh I understand that she doesnt want charges building up, not that that happens around here, i mean we get our snow very spread out. I dont wait long to bill out either. I try to get invoices made up about two or three days after I'm done. This works well for everyone else. I feel bad dropping her, so I put up with it, I just dont really care to deal with old people, its not my strongest quality. But I'm nice about it, i just tell her that "I was going to stop, but I came home and fell asleep, after x hours of work I had to take a nap, and I just woke up."

Sometimes I think they think they are #1 and the only one at that, so it makes it hard to please them, but at the same time, you dont want them to be frustrated with you, they will tell their friends about you.....

10. fordman

fordman Senior Member

My biggest PITA customer is an old man. He's always finding something to complain about. Each time I usually solve his complaint, thinking everything is now being done the way he wants it. Then he finds something else to complain about. He's a never ending PITA:realmad:. Fortunately I will be dropping him in the spring because I'm moving.

11. Temco

Temco Member

I plowed for a big commercial property owner last Winter and they spent more money paying their people to watch me plow and telling me what not to forget and where to put the snow, etc.

12. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

I have a old guy I plow for he's not too bad but his nephew is a pain. I had it out with him a few weeks ago. He used to plow the driveway and felt that he needed to share his experience with me. I'm all for advise but tis guy was an idiot. He's been there twice since the last time I told him that if he could do better maybe he should start doing it again. The old guy is happy as heck with my service I could do without the nephew though.

13. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

I HAVE A WOMEN WHO CALLS ME EVER TIME THEY CALL FOR SNOW. SHE CALLED ME BEFORE SHE WENT ON VACATION TO FLORIDA TO MAKE SURE SHE WOULD BE PLOWED EVEN THOUGH
    SHE WOULDNT BE HOME TO PAY AND WANTEDTO DROP OF A CHECK JUST INCASE IT SNOWED.THE GREAT THING IS LAST TIME IT SNOWED 24INCHES SHE PAID ME DOUBLE MY BILL

CARDOCTOR

SOMETIMES YOU NEED EARPLUGS
    :waving:

14. szorno

szorno Senior Member

My PITA customer is also my cash cow... The local medical center. They want it plowed if there is enough snow to make tracks. We mag the lot so the itty bitty storms don't last. They call us to come in (13 miles) if there is any snow building up. This is all well and good, but we wind up coming the 13 miles for only them. Even the other med center is more reasonable. Oh well...
    whining=profit
    :waving:

15. kawdude,

Since we are in the same area, you might have had this one before.

She calls me to plow every other snow and leaves money in envelope taped to inside door.

Her son still lives at home and comes home from work at 7 am. I plow her and go up to the door and son came home and locked the storm door with the envelope starring at me on the inside door. Knock, Knock, Knock, no one comes. I get home and she left msg, says I forgot to get my money. I send her a bill but she just calls, leaves msg and says money will be taped to the inside door, please don't forget to get it.

This happens almost every time.

16. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

My biggest PITA is a couple,well 2 women to be specific(and i am NOT gay/lesbian bashing)they are nice people and always pay on time BUT.....The rugged one usually comes out when i am plowing(this is a very tricky steep driveway)and proceeds to tell me how to plow because she "used to have a plow truck":rolleyes: ,2 sections give me trouble everytime i go and to make matters worse,she is right there to tell me how she would have done it in her truck,and every time i have to stop and explain that if i listen to her i am going to have my truck over a 30 foot embankment,she trys to direct me when i get to this bank and thinks i can put my front wheels"just a couple feet over" so i can push the snow further back:confused: ,the area is already on a serious downhill pitch and usually a bit slick to boot,she just can't understand why i can't do this,this normally would not be a prob but we go thru this EVERYTIME:realmad: ,sorry, didn't mean to yell at you guys:D

17. Mick

from Maine

Arc Burn, I had that happen just once. A guy was telling me how me used to plow, too. So I asked him (innocently) why he's not plowing now. He finally got around to telling me that the truck he uses now was his plow truck. He blew the transfer case, so all he has is 2wd. Then in the process of trying to still use it, tore up the plow. Now, he has figured out it's a lot cheaper paying me than fixing it or buying another truck and they're still real good customers.

Bottom line - I now plow without his advise.

18. SIMONE'S LAWNS SERVICE

SIMONE'S LAWNS SERVICE Member

My grandpa does this all the time with mowing and now plowing his drive. The poor guy (84yrs.) comes to the door the other morning at 2am with a Wells Fargo envelope with a crisp $20 bill in it-had to laugh to myself. I always tell him he doesn't owe me anything, but of course he wont take no for an answer. I think it's really neat to see that quality (especially in that depression era age group). It wouldn't hurt if more of the people in todays society picked up a little on that attitude about money.

19. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

Biggest PITA for me is a shopping center by me.
    We plow before they open and all the stores shovel the snow back in to the parking lot. We can not get close to the stores because of the curb stones.
    When we go back after they open to clean up the snow they tossed in the parking lot, cars are parked all over.
    I had one guy tell me I smashed his door with my plow. When I asked him to explain the rust in a "new dent" he shut up.I have decided to not renew the contract with them for next year, they did not pay on time and I am tired of chasing them for money.

20. nicksb2

nicksb2 Junior Member

My biggest PITA is my Aunt who lets me store my plow there in the Summer. I tell her I'll plow her drive for free, since my plow's sitting up there for a good part of the year, and she ALWAYS tries to give me $$$ I end up trying to be reeeeeal quiet, but she can hear a pin drop - or plow drop in this case!!!:nono: