1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

whos using older paid for trucks and whos rolling brand new rigs???

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by trqjnky, Apr 17, 2012.

1. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

im interested in what guys are using. most the people i know are all using older 3-5k pickups to plow with. that way if you hit something or whatnot, no worries. and all they do is plow snow for 4 months a year. i have a fleet of 80s chevy trucks and then my 04 dodge. all paid for. i love it. i'd rather put u joints and tires on a cheap rig and maintenance them, and have no payments. :mechanic:
  2. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

My trucks are an 2003, 1998 and 1985.

Like my uncle always said "I'm not spending big money just cause someone else feels I need too".

My trucks are not new but they are just as solid as a fairly new truck, I have low insurance costs and I have no payments plus I do all my own repairs. My newest truck is an 03 GMC 2500HD that just finished it's first season as a main line truck, last season was it's first year with a plow and it was a backup. The oldest is my 85 K20 that was a frame off rebuild with a fairly new plow installed, this truck costs hardly anything to maintain and insurance is dirt cheap.
  3. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Old paid for rigs here. Currently the newest is an 04, oldest is a 92. Best move I ever made, especially this year.
  4. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

All paid for vehicles here (never had payments on the trucks I own). Bought both used along with used plows (again, never had payments). I used to think that I had to have new plow trucks but as a mechanic, it really doesn't make sense, besides, new trucks break down too. I have gotten to the point where I will no longer buy a truck that is not fuel injected, so that kind of limits how far back I can go. I think if I were to buy another truck, I would even go as to say, I'm not sure I would buy a TBI anymore. That would just keep me somewhat up to date. THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH OLDER, RELIABLE, PAID FOR EQUIPMENT, and I would encourage everyone to consider it before going into debt and buying new
  5. muffy189

muffy189 Senior Member

my oldest truck is a 98 and newest is an 03 dodge 2500 and the most ive ever paid for a truck was the 03 and it was 6grand with the plow from my dad. never bought a plow truck and had a payment on it and never will if i can help it
  6. muffy189

muffy189 Senior Member

the plow pump thats on my 98 is my dads original one he bought new in 1968
  7. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I have had payments & newer trucks for quite some time current fleet of trucks (6) is paid for except the 2009, have payments on some of the big stuff. I would rather buy new and know the history of the truck than buy someones elses problem, I traded my 2002 in on the 2009, the main wiring harness was shot, sometimes it isn't worth fixing things :(, dealer only part alone was almost 4k, about 40 hrs to change out I was quoted.
  8. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

2011 Ford F250 with payments. I have put some extra money toward principle along the way. I respect those that can turn a wrench and go with used / older equipment. I would have to pay someone to do that so I bought new with a 7 year / 200,000 mile Ford (not aftermarket) warranty.
  9. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

i think this^^^^^^ is the deciding factor. i own a shop. so fixing broken stuff/worn out stuff is nothing more than a inconvenience to me. yesterday i put new u joints, front leaf springs and belts on a 1980 chevy i just bought. cost me all of 350 dollars for parts. too me a couple hours. but for someone to pay a shop to do that, you'd be upside down in the truck.:mechanic:
  10. snoworks07

snoworks07 Member

3 Jeep wranglers: 2000 is paid off, 2011 was purchased outright, the 2012 has 34 payments left.

1 Chevy Silverado (2500HD): Paid off.

I personally like having newer equipment. I have owned alot of plow vehicals in my lifetime and the older they get the more money you dump into them. Especially if you don't drive the vehicals year round, something allways seems to go wrong with a truck that sits for 6 months. I put around $4,500.00 into my 2000 this season alone. $2k was for a new tranny and then the typical older plow truck maint.

Its no fun when the snow falls and your plow equipment is not up to snuff, even if its working, sometimes the peace of mind before, during and after a storm is worth the money.

My new plan is to pay all new truck loans off within 2 to 3 years, so you have the best of both worlds for a couple of years.
  11. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

I understand people like the piece of mind of newer vehicles, but it doesn't gaurentee anything.

A good example is at work, they purchased two new F150 2wd trucks a little over three years ago, the engine went out of one just shortly after the power train warranty was up late last year. Ended up having an engine from a salvage yard put in it.

Anything can happen no matter how old or how new it is.
  12. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

1995-2011 not to new and not to old ;)
  13. elecblu

elecblu Member

2 1998 chev., both paid for
  14. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

1 new truck, 1 older truck. I much prefer new due to overall reliability. Are they guaranteed to never break? No, of course not, but odds are better with a new truck. However, a good quality, maintained older truck with no payments is VERY appealing. Whatever works for your business.
  15. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Agreed. Drive by your local new car dealership and see how many older cars/trucks are in the service bays. I would put money on that 90% of the vehicles there, are there for warranty work. I can't tell you how many plow trucks I worked on under warranty in the middle of winter when I worked at the dealership.

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

99 01 03 07 All dodge diesels
    05 bobcat. All new western plow in 09
    Nothing in 2011 but looking now at some
    Newer equipment

See a trend?
  17. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

i would think you are re investing your profits back into the company by purchasing new rigs with cash? payup
  18. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

I am a fan of older, well maintained trucks. I don't care who makes it or what color it is, as long as it's reliable and the body is in good shape. I own fords, chevys, dodges, and gmc's. Most of the trucks sit idle 8 months out of the year, and that does take a toll on them so preventative maintance is key. I have older plows as well, but plows are much easier to maintain and extra parts/motors are easy to keep on hand. Our plows are torn apart and re painted every few years, so they always look nice. We have pleanty of trucks on the road during each storm to handle all of our accounts with ease. If a tuck or plow goes down it's nice to know that the other drivers can handle what isn't already done.

I know some might have a different business plan, but this is how we roll and it works well for us. :salute:

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I dont like keeping plows for more then 3 years
    Or if I do keep it I order a new one and get it ready
  20. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

I do not like keeping Dodges for more then 3 years.