1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Who's running Treadwright tires?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PowersTree, Dec 11, 2011.

1. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

I'm looking at some new tires.

One of the options I'm looking at is the Treadwright, in the BFG A/T flavor.

Is or has anyone run their "winter" compound. It supposedly has crushed glass, and coca shells mixed in with the rubber.

Here in Michigan we aren't allowed to run chains, or studs.
    The truck these tires are for is a shovel truck, 2wd, but they carry 30 bags of salt, so it is weighted pretty well.
  2. I have that same tire and love them. Plow in 2 wheel most of the time.
  3. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I just put set on the rear of my F450. I haven't had them in the snow yet but they look like they're going to be decent. You can see the shells inside the tread, kinda neat.
  4. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

How do they wear russ?
  5. plowin-fire

plowin-fire Senior Member

Put a set on for a customer last week and they didnt balance very well. Almost like the cap was seamed on crooked. Had a set before these that balanced good.
  6. Ranger620

Ranger620 PlowSite Veteran

I would like to try a set but have a few questions for Those that have used them. Do they last as long? What about putting them on the front? If i remember correct you cant put a retread on your steering tires, federal law???? There price seems very reasonable. Do you guys use them for winter only?
  7. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

You can use them on the fronts, the only vehcles that cant are those of commerical vehicles such as dump trucks , semi's and such that carry;s alot of weight. I just purchased a set a month ago and have them on all 4 I have not had a chance to use in the snow yet as we havent had any here. So far I am impressed tho
  8. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

The guy who runs the tire shop that I use said that I could install retreads on the front but he also said that he wouldn't do it.
  9. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

I just put a set of the BFG A/T style ones on my truck last week. So far, I am impressed. They balanced out with only a little weight on each rim, truck drives smooth and straight as an arrow and they are quite. We'll see how they hold up I guess.
  10. green frog

green frog Senior Member

Mike, which ones did you get? winter or all season compound?
  11. The ones that I have are just for winter. We got them last winter. They sent use the wrong ones at first, I needed 16s and they sent 18. I called the same day and by the next morning I had the.right one on my steps. Overnight tires, to me that is a great company.
    Now for the tires, I have been very happy with them. I only had to put in 4wheel once or twice last year. The wear on them is great, the traction on them is the best that have seen for the money. I think that they were around 500 for load range e. So far I would buy another set for sure.
  12. Kale Lawn

Kale Lawn Senior Member
    from Ohio

I have a set on my dodge 265 wardens... pretty great deal!!! and they come with a great warranty and customer service! I will never buy new tires again.. I have about 35,xxx miles on my and they still have 1/2" thread left
  13. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

When tires hit $800 a set I began switching over. Now spend only $400 a set and in 4 yrs no problems. 3 trucks are winter only, the year around set is 3 yrs old, approx 60,000 miles and will replace next year. I've always ordered the Krip edge option, so can not tell you the difference.
  14. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

I put a set of 4 on the rear of my 2wd F550 of the F rated AP's with Kedge Grip. At first I hated them, they wandered terribly, and 4 tons of salt make it downright scary at highway speed. I drove it empty for about a week and a half straight as my daily driver and put about 800 miles, and the wander is pretty much gone. I think it's due to the center of the tread having a rib that was higher than the rest of it from the forming process. Grip wise they're outstanding, absolutely no concerns with traction, they're incredible!
  15. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

That only applies to busses.
  16. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

Just put them on my 2wd F450. No snow yet so no feedback.
  17. mike ward

mike ward Member

I guess I come from the days of seeing the retreads de-thread (the cap comes off). Any issues with that or any other failures? Which ones are winter only vs A/T or A/S
  18. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

They have a compound in any of their tires for added traction. The compound is softer, and infused with crushed glass and coco shells.

I will be ordering a pair after the new year, just as our snow gets started. I've done a ton of reading on them, in several forums, and haven't heard of any blowouts. Any tire that anybody questioned to the company has been promptly replaced. They sound like a stand up company.

Mind you, these are going on my work truck. I don't think I would run them on my personal trucks that the wife and kid drive.
  19. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

That is, if you order with the "kedge grip" option. If you don't you get regular all-season rubber.
  20. jd$jess

jd$jess Member

Where do you buy ?does anybody have info on them