1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

who's running an f-450/550 with only 2wd?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by NorthernSvc's, Oct 22, 2012.

1. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

looking to expand my fleet... having a rough time finding good f-450's and 550's with 4wd... but there are a ton of beautiful 2wd ones...
    It would have a v-plow plus salter ( size dependant on 550/450...) salter would be fully loaded as ballast...
    anyone else run a similar setup? have any issues pushing snow?? I have a 350 srw with a diesel + v-plow and salter that i run now, and I know i barely use the 4x4 except for a few rare moments...
    i would imagine with some more ballast in the back and without going crazy on the plow size that it would be just fine...
    anyone have any experience???

2. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

As long as you or your operator uses his\her head, you'll be just fine.

I bought one last year, not that that counts as a winter, but still. Just make sure you have good tires.

3. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

use on flatter lots and have good ballast, and good tires. They will push alot of snow. avoid steep downhill pushes with the piles at the end. uphill reversing is where the 2wd sucks. Just plan ahead before pushing.

4. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

As others have said, use your head, keep the front tires on the hard surfaces, and you'll be fine. I plow on occasion with my F550 2wd and it does just fine, and plows like a freight train with 5 tons of salt on board! Thumbs Up I also went with treadwright AP tires with kedge grip and they're awesome! Thumbs Up

5. StuveCorp

StuveCorp Senior Member

I have to ask, what is priced appropriately for a 550?

6. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

7. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Talk aboot your shameless plugs. lol

OP, I wouldn't hesitate to buy from Big Dog, he's a great guy and does a great job maintaining his equipment.

8. Big Dog D

Just tryin to help a brutha out........ :D

9. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Me too......

10. Big Dog D

Thankx Bub. Some peeps in udder places have put an APB out for you.

11. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

I run a 2wd Chevy Dually, (in sig)

Used to run an old 86 F-350 Dually.

The difference in the two not only the payload (16k total on the chevy, 12k on the 350) but the rear end.

The F-350 was fine, but it had an open carrier, so getting going from a dead stop was sometimes tough.

My 3500HD has a posi rear that the previous owner put in. Night and Day difference on the traction.

So, if you get a 2wd dually, look for one with a limited slip rear, or at least pay to upgrade to one.

12. 1rubbertrack

1rubbertrack Junior Member

I plow with 2 wd, good tires,9' western and buyers v box, no problems at all.

13. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 PlowSite.com Addict

We run a 03 450 2wd 9' fisher 4yd salter. We plowed with it when the tires were bald and it had no problems. Now with new tires truck plows like a beast. As long as you have a lite enough plow in the front and a big enough salter truck will push and drive anywhere