1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whos running amber & White?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Clapper&Company, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Im a big fan of both Amber & White, for the trucks who also runs it

2. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

I will only be running amber and white/clear strobes. Should have two amber behind the grill and two amber in the rear window behind the back seat. Will then have two clear/white in the cargo light, two clear behind the amber lense of the rear turn signals, and 4 clear up front 2 in high beams, 2 in running light.

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Amber is all they allow by law for snow removal in most if not all of the states.
    Amber hear...

and they want them above the roof line.
    no oscillating lights hidden in the vehicles lights.

4. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

can only use amber in ny, they frown upon the use of clear/white lights... :rolleyes: so im all amber

5. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

the only clear i have is headlight strobes which are not for plowing and my alley/takedowns which ill only run on steady burn when plowing. they also flash but again not for plowing use.

6. F250 Boss v

F250 Boss v Senior Member

Running all amber! Question: Why do so many put strobes/LEDS in their front headlights or turn signals? I ask because I think the reflection back off of the plow would drive me nuts!!! I'm not knocking anyone, do what you want, just trying to understand why this is done, and if I'm the only one that does not like lights reflecting back into my eyes... Thanks! :dizzy:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  7. scitown

scitown Senior Member

Amber mx7000 old school with some white intersection lights. I do have the amber covers ready to put in just need some time so I can move my alley lights to the front.

8. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

I run amber and clear. Consider me a law breaker.

9. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

my whelen lightbar runs clear end caps and front 2 spot lights are converted to clear strobe heads and never had a problem in 4 yrs ..

10. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

You can run whatever lights you wish on private property.
    These laws do not extend off of public property.
    There are nuisance laws to control rolling 3 ring circus..;)
    This also excludes any town, city or state vehicles also

so it only involves being a lawbreaker if your running anything other than amber on the public streets while not actively engaged in snow removal.
    Even ems, fire and the police can break the law by using there official lights for personal reasons, for personal gain or for plowing snow.. or some thing like that...

11. ColliganLands

some state do allow white. i know ive seen a ton of tow trucks around here recently that are runnin amber/white or white/white on the dash or in the grille. not to start any arguments since i do not run my white unless its for my other work.

12. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

sure tow trucks are not plow trucks.
    Tow trucks can run red in MN if there at the seen of an accident. then it's amber.

I said most;) but I believe there was an law unification bill or act that wanted to get all of the states on the same page as to auto regulations.
    so amber is the color..

13. ColliganLands

well they run those on the street (big no no) only amber unless @ accident like you say.
    as far as i know in MA its only amber on the street but you can run whatever you please. i have the whites for when were out on a traffic detail with my other job to draw the drivers attention (yes this is allowed - but only by special permission)
    when plowing amber is really the only color you need

14. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

I got mine set up where they dont bounce off my plow :D

Me too LOL

I got clear endcaps and hide-a-ways in my Rev lights I have been running these for years with out problem, now my one truck has them in the tail lights they flash red, and never had anythign said about that either:confused: But in the last few months i have seen alot of state trucks starting to use white also.

15. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

multiple colors is a big pet peeve with me. I'm a big supporter of laws to regulate the use and display of emergency/warning lights. Our neighbor to the south has things so screwed up you see blue lights (which is a police color in my part of N.E.) allowed on public works trucks, ambulances, everywhere you look. Then the cops want more visibility so they throw amber and red on the back. What you end up with is a jumble of multicolored lights, and you lose all the instant recognition that the lights and color choices were assigned for!
    Was bad for a while in NH, but the AG stated they wanted to remind us that blue is the only authorized color for police, so we're mostly all back to blue now. There are still some FDs that have blue lights on the rear of their trucks and ambulances, but as far as I'm concerned they are NOT authorized blue therefore they shouldn't have them.
    Our new fire engine has 6 amber lights to the rear and only 2 reds, chief said it's an NFPA requirement but it's not. It's completely ignorant for an emergency vehicle, it looks like a highway plow or sander from behind at night.
    I've always heard white strobes or flashers to the rear is a big no-no, whether or not it's legal where you are, I don't know. In NH the law says you are only authorized amber, so you couldn't (or shouldn't) do it here.
    What I don't understand is why anyone would want to run a white light, especially in the kind of snow visibility conditions we encounter. With todays high performance lighting most plowing lights are far brighter than necessary because to be honest, they are generally emergency service lights adapted to amber for non-emergency use. So if the high output ambers are brighter than necessary ( I myself have more than I need, but I can shut off my front strobes and dim them at night), then there can be no doubt that white with no filter at all is not just going to catch peoples attention, it is going to if not blind them at least hinder their ability to see and negotiate around you safely.
    So why do you want to blind and aggravate people? Just your personality, perhaps? I know I meet a lot of people who enjoy pi$$ing off other people. If you have amber visible from 360 degrees, then that is plenty sufficient to protect you and warn others. White is just going over the top for the sake of pleasing you and irritating everyone else. Bad enough the authorized emergency workers blind everyone, but private plowers certainly have no business doing so.
    How's that for an opinion?

16. storm king

storm king Member

Old Skool - revolving dual amber on the roof for me.
    yes I spelled it with a k on purpose.

17. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Amber for me but I have hidden clear strobes front/back but not for plowing. Will use them on occasion for busy places with alot of traffic but then they're off.:cool:

18. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

i run red and blue for plowing it seemes to get peoples attention better.

19. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

I've got hide-aways in the Dodge....all clears and I have a dual amber LED dash light....

20. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

Amber LED mini bar on the roof, amber/white dominator on the back and red vertex in the tail lights. I find the clear amber on the dominator to be very effective.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Psckfpv5UHo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Psckfpv5UHo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>