1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

whos plowing with a dodge diesel?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by trqjnky, Nov 15, 2010.

1. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

I picked up my 04 2500 with the cummins whos plowing snow with a dodge diesel this winter?

1. do you use 4 high or 4 low?

2. i throw mine in tow/haul mode, anyone else do this?

3. anyone have a tranny temp gauge? whats your temps run at?
  2. MarksTLC

MarksTLC Senior Member

I have a 99 diesel with auto.
    I plow in 4 hi all the time.
    I have a temp gauge (mostly for hauling my 5th wheel). I run Amsoil and really don't watch the gauge. Sorry, can't help on the normal running temps. I have an oversized oil pan, plus trans cooler and I believe that helps a lot with the cooling so quickly between jobs too.
  3. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

i have an 05 2500... i plow in 4 hi in first gear, no tow/haul needed
  4. Avery1

Avery1 Junior Member

I have an 08 6.7 cummins w/6spd auto. I plow in 4 hi, no tow haul.
  5. pitrack

pitrack Senior Member

I roll in 4 hi and tow haul mostly for when I'm driving from account to account.
  6. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

1. Depends on the amount of snow I'm pushing.

2. Tow Haul in mine is 5th gear, so no.

3. I use a giant, double disc clutch. I don't know how hot it gets.
  7. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

4 hi
    tow haul on
    180 pan temp avg
    your temp out of the converter will be from 150-220 depends how heavy the snow is.
  8. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

4 Hi, 1st gear.
  9. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

2 wd 1.5 to 2 ton salt out back.

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Only use 2wd with salt as a balast too. 4x4 is reserved for crazy deep snow and steep grades if I start to slip. Used 4low once to plow out a 3' plus drift from a gravel drive. Moved the whole drift in a single swipe..... With the right balast you too can plow in 2wd and save the front universals!!!!

Nothing better than listening to the tubo spooling while plowing...... I often turn off the radio and listen to the turbo for entertainment!!!!
  11. jdxnc

jdxnc Junior Member

This will be my first year plowing with a Cummins, I can't wait to see how it goes. '94 auto.
  12. pitrack

pitrack Senior Member

I'm looking forward to this! I just threw an intake on mine so now it sings sompared to stock intake the last years.
  13. Grassman09

I do that and rolls the windows down. I have no muffler just straight pipe and it sounds and pushes like a dozer. The salter weight and snow tires help too.

That is what prob killed the stock trans or was it the bully dog......
  14. Grassman09

It will go good its a cummins.. :nod: prob even better that its a what 2nd gen?
  15. jdxnc

jdxnc Junior Member

First year 2nd gen.

Now if we could get some snow!
  16. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

4 hi only if I need it
    tow/haul ? over drive ? why ? no need to
    trans temp gauge is at most 180F when not moving and in park. ( when I am parked I usually leave the truck in N )
  17. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

Are you towing something? Pushing is a much different load than pulling. Someone should ask B&B what he thinks about tow haul mode while plowing.
  18. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

it doesnt really matter about tow haul when your plowing unless your grabbing gears. in 1st gear there is no difference between regular and tow haul. the only difference is when it locks the converter in 2,3,4 plus it changes shift points a little. i plow with it on so when i go job to job it keeps the trans cooler.
  19. Joe Snow

Joe Snow Senior Member

4 high, no tow haul, can't remember my temps.
  20. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

i put it in tow haul jsut for moving job to job, temps stay cooler from what i noticed.