1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

whos never had a brand new plow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by trqjnky, Oct 19, 2011.

1. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

I myself have never purchased a plow new. Always used. Maybe one of these days....

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I have never purchased a new plow, but I did just purchase a brand spanking new Boss BX12 pusher. Looks real pretty, but I have to get over my fears of scratching the paint, lol.

3. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

the only reason i havent purchesed a new plow is mainly i dont want to take the first 2500 dallor hit on it. when i buy something i mainly look at it as how much do i loose off the bat.buying new doesnt make sence to me ecspecially cause were i live i can find a good used plow for half the price of a new one off the bat.

4. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

I am getting my first new plow as soon as it comes in. I choose new because the plow I want is very difficult to find used locally and the ones I did find were only about $1000 cheaper than new. I will pay $1000 to get the warranty and not buy some one elses problems.

I have never bought a new car. Just like you said, I will let some one else take that first big hit.

5. Greenery

Greenery 2000 Club Member

Same story here im looking for a 9' scoop and the couple I've found have only been about 1000 - 1500 less than new on top of that don't include the correct mount for the truck. Then they always need at least some maintenance before there usable to my standards. however with trucks I always will buy 2-3 year old used trucks, at least until I'm very wealthy.

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

What hit? My boss is now 10 years old so that works out right now to 400.00 a year. Longer I keep it the less it costs me.

7. CCL LLC

CCL LLC Junior Member

Picked up another x blade for $2500. Came with a fish stick, push plates, and all the wiring. 1 season old.

8. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

I guess it depends on how you think about it. I never plan on keeping anything for any amount of time, so I always buy used with the resale price in mind. I did buy a brand new 8' Western Unimount Pro when I was 17 or 18 (brand new, unassembled - $2000) and it hasn't done anything for me that any other plow hasn't.

9. DaveCN5

DaveCN5 Senior Member

We always buy new plow trucks and put new plows on them just because of warranty. The way we look at it is that a new plow will (usually) give us fewer problems than buying something used. We do extensive maintenance at the start of the season and after every storm our mechanic gives all of the trucks and plows a once over checking for leaks, loose pins, and anything bent. We typically make enough profit off of a plow to pay it off the first season. So we just go for new because it will typically have a longer life. We also make sure to not put someone in a plow truck who will cause excess and avoidable damage.

We've currently run:
    (3) '02 F-350 w/ Boss V
    (1) '06 F-350 w/ Boss V
    (2) '08 F-350 w/ Boss V-XT
    (1) '10 F-450 w/ Boss V-XT
    (3) Bobcat S250 w/ 10' box plow
    (1) Case 580L backhoe w/ Boss BX-12
    (1) Komatsu WA250 w/ Boss BX-12.

Only thing we've bought used is the Komatsu and that's because it was up for repo and we got it from the bank for $40K.

10. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I always buy new - well as often as I can afford it.

I just sold my Meyer after three seasons of use. Paid $4,100 installed and sold it for $2,900. In those three years, the plow cost me $1,200. Financially, I paid $1,200 for a plow and made quite a bit more with it.

Sold one of my pushers as well. Paid $1,800 and sold it for $1,500. That one cost me $300 to own it for two years and I made tens of thousands with it.

Buyers tailgate spreader, bought it new for $709 shipped and sold it for $600. Again, it made me good money.

I try to buy new mainly for the warranty. The Meyer needed a new pump at the end of it's second season. Didn't cost me a dime to get it replaced.