1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Who's gonna clean all this gravel off my lawn?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SnowMan4U, Feb 20, 2006.

1. SnowMan4U

SnowMan4U Member

Umm, did you read my info sheet? I also told you when you first signed up that gravel driveways sometimes meant getting a little on your lawn.

Frozen or not, it still moves. What the heck do they expect?:redbounce
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Just one more reason not to do residential.. Did you bid it high enough to cover this? Give them an estimate for spring clean up!!:waving:
    Some clients could care less what is in the contract if they think some thing is wrong... (IE,, gravel on the lawn)...
  3. SnowMan4U

SnowMan4U Member

As luck would have it, I padded this bid so if I do decide to doa clean up, I'm covered. What I told her is if she wanted to do a full Spring Clean-up, I wouldn't charge her for the driveway portion. I also mow her lawn in the mowing season so I get a little back there as well...especially this year since prices are going up on her property about 5 bucks. It's just a PITA. No more gravel driveways!
  4. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

You would not believe how incredibly easy gravel can be cleaned up with a power broom. RedMax, Stihl, etc. I have been able to clean after each snowfall on one of my lawns due to the mild weather. 3-4 minutes to do what might have otherwise been a half hour job. Other than that, I might ask them who cleaned it up before they hired you?
  5. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

Gravel really isn't that hard to plow. I don't know why so many people have a problem with it.. Stick your head out the window and watch the blade. If you start scraping in, raise it alittle.. It's very very simple..

I've never made a mess out of a gravel driveway and 1/2 of my drives are gravel. Although, I operate a dozer and a snow cat at a ski area once in a while so that may help.
  6. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Straight position, it's rather easy. But throw in scooping or angling, and your talking about a pretty hard task. Especially when the ground is soft and there are holes or uneven gravel.

I only have 2 left that are stones.....and both are working on getting theirs paved (well for the past 2 Springs they say this to me anyway.)
  7. SnowMan4U

SnowMan4U Member

Exactly. Because may be the first year that I started plowing, it's going on the 4th year that I have been mowing this property. And I've seen the gravel there before. No one cleaned it up before. Not problem, the money will come, I'll see to it.payup
  8. SnowMan4U

SnowMan4U Member

I'll be the first to admit that I'm better at it now than I was at the beginning of the season.:rolleyes:
  9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

That's what I got. Get yourself a split boom trimmer head, with a trimmer attachment and a broom attachment.

You can even make money in the spring by placing an ad in the paper to clean up people's yards by power brooming the gravel along roads back into the street before the sweepers get there. You can charge about $.50-$1 / foot. Have you ever tried raking it before???
  10. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 Senior Member

i dont understand....theres no good reason why you should rip gravel, just stick you head out the window ( i know that sounds stupid ) and watch the blade...i have 60+ accounts, and about 20 of them are gravel, if i diont do gravl or did it poorly id be missing out on thousands of dollers season, learn how to plow gravel or dont do it!
  11. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

Do you use trip edge or full trips?

Also, I can't see with my head out the window not to mention it's dangerous if you catch a stump or a rock.

I can do a partially frozen gravel drive without moving a pebble. But it's a different case when it's sloppy, your truck is sinking and the driveway has never been graded.
  12. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

HMMMMMMMMMM Snowman4--sounds like your double dipping!!:) Good for you! Client a PIA! or just wanting to complain!--if you have shoes do you use them? They work great for this purpose--If drive grade is slopeing and uneven, your always going to move a little--no matter how good you are! take it in stride---so you got a couple of hours of clean up no biggie--part of the learning curve!
  13. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I just don't do gravel driveways for money for any reason. I do one only if it needs it for a friend. Other wise its not worth the headace.
  14. SnowMan4U

SnowMan4U Member

Since this is my first year, I only have 20 or so customers. As soon as I get close to my limit, things like route consolidation and gravel.