1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Who's blown a Transmission?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MickiRig1, Jan 30, 2005.

Who's blown a transmission?

1. Who's blown a transmission?

27 vote(s)
  2. Lost reverse?

9 vote(s)
  3. Lost low gear?

2 vote(s)
  4. Overdrive out?

7 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Who has blown a Transmission in their truck?
    Mine lost forward 1 hour into a big event!
  2. MickiRig1

I show the wife I am not the only one!

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I burnt one up about 4 years ago. TH400 in a 1989 GMC 2500HD.

Now I change fluid after each plow season. No matter the miles.
  4. Tscape

Tscape Senior Member

My 99 F350 lost its tranny this summer. Cost $2900 to rebuild. As it was being pulled up on the flatbed, the wheels would not even turn!
  5. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Lost reverse real close to the front of a garage door (planned to backdrag out) during the Presidents Day Blizzard.

I wasn't even working it hard that day. :eek:
  6. b2driver

b2driver Member
    from MD

Blew mine in my truck twice. I rebuilt it the second time because I can obviously do just as good as the shop if not better.
  7. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

There isn't a spot to vote No
    I have blown u joints and other drive train items in a F 150 that why I dont use 1/2 ton trucks any more, but never a Trans.
  8. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

I blew a 4l80E in my Chevy, in Nov but it had been slipping for a year and overdrive had not worked for 6 months. Last week I had a turbo 350 go in another truck, but it had over 10 years of plowing on it so it didn't owe me anything.
  9. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

It would be interesting if everybody that answered the poll with yes I have blown a Transmission, to now state whether they plow in 4wd high or 4wd low? :)
  10. Peopleeater

Peopleeater Senior Member

Blown Tranny

I blew my tranny last year after second plow. (might have been able to stretch it to 3 plowings.) First lost OD, then D, Lost 2nd on way to tranny repair shop. top speed of about 10 mph on a 4 lane highway for about 3 miles.

Oh, and it was only in 4wd when needed (4 HI). Knuckles were shot, too. 98% 2wd.

11. grassmanvt

grassmanvt Senior Member
    from Vermont

I recently set a new personal best (or worst), 04' 3500 silverado, 5600 miles, clutches were still good, wouldn't slip but something came undone. It would roll forward but reverse was locked up tight.Just so happens I had just plowed down a steep hill, up against snow bank, no place to go.
  12. jbutch83

jbutch83 Senior Member

I am going on my 4th tranny for this winter. Went out the first time in November. Got it rebuilt, went out again in Jan. Got that rebuilt, went out again last week. They took it apart, said nothing was wrong, then claimed that the wiring harness plug that goes into the tranny was bad. They did show me the old plug, it was bad, but I think that this was something that should have been noticed the first two times they had the tranny out. It still is not right, they are supposed to be over in the morning to take a look at it. And to answer Dave's question, mine has gone out in either 4-hi, or in 2 wheel drive.

13. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

20 years of plowing I never plowed in 4wd lo and never blew a trans
  14. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

This my third season plowing with my F-150, has not blew the tranny yet. I have an aux cooler obviously, change the fluid before and after every plow season and just don't beat on it! Iam amazed at the guys that will shift from drive to reverse when the truck is still going 3 MPH while plowing. Plowing is enough stress alone, you don't need to add any abuse to the tranny yourself. I plow in 4H most of the time, 4LO for heavy stuff. I do have a tranny temp gauge in both the F-150 and the Jeep Cherokee, i watch the tranny gauge like a hawk. Never really jumps to any alarming levels, which is good, the aux cooler is doing its job. This is the first season with the cherokee so we shall see how it does. Whatever I do, i am just damn careful not to slam the tranny around without coming to a complete stop first. I just pop it to neutral, complete the stop and D or R is just a bump away, i hit it again as soon as i stop, works out well and i still feel like iam working fast enough.
  15. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I just had the Reverse band and drum fry in the TH400 about 3 weeks ago. The shop put in an aftermarket "heavy duty" band and drum instead of stock GM. There was metal in the Transfer case fluid (lost a thrust washer, I believe they said), so I had them rebuild that also. I have plowed for 5 years with that truck so I believe it owes me nothing.
    As for pushing in 4Lo. I tried it once, and won't do it agian unless I'm pushing really deep snow or am stuck. My pickup has a new GM Goodwrench 454 (throttle body, 427 cam, etc, etc,), a TH400 tranny (Allison tourque converter, shift kit, etc, etc). It shifts really firm anyway so if you are in 4Lo it almost gives you wiplash.
  16. z_plow_master

z_plow_master Member

i lost the reverse on a 97 ranger after a full day of plowing. i plowed with it the previous two seasons though, and i use it for landscaping.the tranny cost 2250 dollars to get it rebuilt at aamco.now i try not to over work the truck any more
  17. Wild Lake

Wild Lake Junior Member

This is a little off topic, but my locking rear locked up today(I plow in 2wd and spun alittle) and wouldn't come unlocked. I could tell because it jumped around like it was in 4wd. Anyone have this happen in an '01 2500HD?
  18. saleen49

saleen49 Junior Member

Knock on wood, 1992 F-250HD 133k on original AOD trans and 5.8 gasser, i do alot of forward/reverse plowing in narrow lots almost always in 4 wheel high, :blush2:
  19. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

That GMC 2500 HD trans I blew had 270k miles on it. And 10 years of hard plowing.

Only in 4 Hi.
  20. MickiRig1

I posted this survey, my truck has 41,000 miles on it since I bought it.The trucks blown a cooling line 3 times now.(book says fatal to tranny)
    I can not complain,it's made my money back,and it has been my daily driver for 4 years. But the wife ain't happy,the BIG RED DRAIN strikes again!
    "How much is this going to cost ME?" she says!