1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Whos an IH fan?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by dirt digger, Jan 27, 2008.

1. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

never owned one, quite honestly never wanted to own one...but the farming side of me and my buddies business is really going to pick up this summer so we need another tractor...just bought a full line of NH hay equipment (haybine, kicker baler, 2 wagons, rake, 4 star tedder) and we need another tractor to pull the baler or fully loaded wagons because the 4700 has really been abused lately with doing work that a much larger tractor should do. Anyway the price was right on this rig, all it needs is a paint job which it will get in the spring. It has a M&W turbo on it which is an added perk.

anyway here it is...any other IH guys in here?

tractor 010.jpg
  2. dirt digger

heres the other 2 it will join...green power

3. dirt digger

before any one asks the oil on the IH is from a oil cooler line i blew when i was testing it out...haha...hopefully this will be the only problem i have with it, and the dealer is fixing this before i take delivery this thursday
  4. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

The 86 series IH tractors are great! My uncles had a bunch of them for many years til they retired! They had an 886 like that only with a cab, I know when it was sold at auction it had over 15,000 hours on the original engine!
  5. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

IH are just fine but for the size a good old 4020 is hard to beat. I spent several years behind a 4020 baling hay. They are just super dependable tractors & good all around size wise
  6. dirt digger

we are running a 4020 now. I was really in the market for a good 3020 but this one came along. We will chisel with the 4020 still (or atleast until i get front weights put on the IH) but the IH will be used to pull our 12 foot disk. I am pretty excited to get this thing in the field and see what she can do
  7. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

is it a 436 motor? my neighbor has one with between 15 and 20k hours on it with just one rebuild.
  8. Jay brown

isn't this a few more HP than a 4020?
  9. dirt digger

its the D-360 motor i believe...it may even be a completely different motor dropped in there because the turbo kind of has me wondering. I am going to have to look and try and find the serial number on the engine block so i can do some more investigating. If this does in fact have the D360 in it then it comes in around 90hp (without the turbo). Our 4020 is turned up so it is probably putting out just a hair over 100hp (96hp stock)...the IH has a 5.9L where as the 4020 is 6.6L. It will be interesting to see which tractor has more balls. The IH weighs more then the 4020 also by about 2000 pounds. Maybe we will have to hook them ass to ass with a chain and see who comes out on top
  10. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Is those are diesel engine? It hard to see but I sure it is diesel.

I do like IH it heavy duty farm tractor they make it. wesport
  11. dirt digger

yea its a diesel
  12. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

It should be a really good tractor, we had quite a few when I was growing up. The only problems we had were the with TA's.
  13. Jay brown

we see a lot of IH's around here at the tractor pulls...i think you should turn it into a unlimted super stock....you probably have four extra turbos laying around!!
  14. dirt digger

thats actually one of the first things that crossed my mind when i saw this...how easy it is to modify this...depends how this summer treats us money wise...it make be getting a second turbo..who knows..haha
  15. ABM

ABM Junior Member

Those 86 series are a great tractor. I spent countless hours running a 1086 around the farm growing up. I would agree that the torque amplifier is about the only part of these machines that can give you problems. We had to replace our TA and it's a real pain because the rear has to be split to do the work.

I'd say that just going by the manufacturers hp numbers an IH machine will out work the Deere any day of the week. I think the IH tractors are derated when reporting power numbers. We had both colors and the Deeres had nicer controls and interiors but the IH's are a good machine as well.
  16. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

oh great now red tractors...nah j/k....never ran a 866 but i did run a 1066 hauling ***** a couple times this summer. didnt push her to her limits but she ran smooth. it was a 76 or 77 i cant remember
  17. dirt digger

this one is a 1980...Tom i'm going to get it this Thursday...you will probably be able to here it at your shop when i fire this thing up and back it off the trailer...shes loud with no muffler and an aftermarket turbo.
  18. yancy

yancy Senior Member

If it's not RED leave it in the shed!!! they are great tractors. My old boss had one with 23k hours on its original motor the trany finally went out. with a few mods they will scream and sound great.
  19. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

im ready
  20. mmaddox

mmaddox Member

4020 and the 806 were about the same, after the 06 series came the 56, 66, and then the 86's. T/A's (torque amplifier) do tend to be a problem, mostly from mis-use. Don't use it, no problems and you have no power shift, as most 4020's don't either. The ones that do have the same issues with repairs. The IH's also has a problem with the shift linkage not being real smooth, but there is an affordable update kit for them. Some are hard to start when cold/cool, glow plugs tend to be needed, and they do need regular replacement, but are easy. The turbo makes me wonder about it's previous treatment/use, might want to do an oil sample on the engine and rear end.