1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Who's actually bent one?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by rtm038, Feb 21, 2007.

1. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

Who's actually bent the wings, or a wing, on a Power-V? If so, what did you hit and how hard? I ask because I'm looking to upgrade to a v-plow next year and I'm looking at the Fisher Xtreme V, Western MVP Plus and the Boss Power-V. I like them all and know the differences, especially the blade tripping design, between them. While Fisher and Western have never let me down, I'd really like to give the Boss a shot. I like the looks, hydraulics, lights, etc., but I'm concerned about the trip design, which I know has been debated/discussed to nausea in the past. I need some real world feedback, the kind you can't get from a dealer who will tell you what you want to hear in order to see the plow.

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Every single Boss I've owned has had a bent wing, bent box, whatever. Hinge has been torn at the bottom as well. And yes, I do plow over 10 MPH. I have yet to see any Boss more than a year old that does not have a bent wing.

Manhole, curb, whatever, will bend them.

Had 2 Fishers, 1 got bent from T-boning an idiot that turned in front of my employee, the other is still in service UNBENT since '01.

My first Boss was purchased in '90, then '92, 2 in '93, another in '96.
  3. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

Thanks for the input. I know they made some changes to the wing design since the 1990s- maybe they're better now. It's not that I mind bending the wing because I can fix it no problem, it's just the $500+ a piece replacement cost that I don't like. For me, since I sub for another guy, I'd have to work almost 6.5 hours just to pay for a replacement wing. Add the cost of tank a fuel for the storm and I'd be working nearly 8 hours before I actually "made" any money. Please keep the comments coming everyone.

4. greenscapes inc

greenscapes inc Member
    from utah

I have had my boss since 01. I have broken the A frame but I think they have re designed in since. I was in a huge hurry and I could stop in time and hit a curb hard. I mean so hard my head hit the roof of the cab. I figured that I totaled it but it was just the a frame. I plow just as hard or harder than anyone else and my boss has held up great.
  5. THE05HD

THE05HD Member
    from WI

I Bought A New 8.2 Steel In 2003.... Used It Until Feb. 07

Now Have A 9.2 Steel Xt

Never A Problem With Anything On The 8.2 Steel

And Nothing With The Xt, As I Have Only Used It Three Times !

I Personally Think Its How You Abuse Your Plow, As To How It Will Hold Up !

I Have Seen Many Throttle Jockeys Plowing Snow.... And All That Happens Is Broken Plow Parts.

I Think That Boss Builds A Super V Plow, And If You Use It Like A Snow Plow..... It Will Last As Long As You Want It To !!

Just My .02 Cents On This

Aaron :)
  6. jce4isu

jce4isu Senior Member

mine also bent still works great

7. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

Both of mine a currently bent. :cry: But it still plows great..
  8. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

BNC, how did you bend your wings? Also do they plow any different than they did when they were straight?
  9. GrandScapes

GrandScapes Senior Member

WE have 4 V blades and all of them have bent wings. Still work good. We just had one where the "A" frame actually broke and that was a fun one to fix. Had to disassemble most of the plow assembly.

I still think there awesome though.
  10. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Bent wings, bent A frames, cracked tubes - I've done it all.

You really aren't supposed to bring a 7000+ pound vehicle to a dead stop with a snow plow, but it happens when you aren't carefull.

I went for a few years before bending the wing and I wacked a curb very hard, it knocked my truck over ten feet sideways. It's just a bit harder putting new cutting edges on but it plows just fine. I'd think sooner or later it'll keep tearing or bending but plowed what 20 some times with it this year and it's still ticking.....

IMO - I trust the Boss plows. In reality, buy something that you can have serviced locally. Service is number one in this business, customers don't understand downtime.
  11. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

mine is new as of the beginning of this season and I hit a few things really hard, I mean Hard. I thought I chipped a tooth at one point and mine still looks straight. I have the smart lock cylinders on mine so when I hit something the wing folds back. Im not sure if they all do that but im thankfull mine does!

Overall, I love my Boss plow and im very pleased with it
  12. jlb2500hd

jlb2500hd Member
    from N.Y

If your looking for a reliable V, the Meyers Super V is the way to go, heavy duty, dual acting cylinders, one button plow positioning, 3 year warranty, need i go on??
  13. troy28282

troy28282 Senior Member

Lets see, bent an A frame, snapped 3 sets of cutting edges on year. Think I may have a bent wing on my poly because the cutting edge is sticking out about a half inch from the frame.

Overall those are the only problems that I have had in the 5 years that the blade has been on my truck. I have a brand new V thats has 300 and some hours on it and it still looks almost brand new, just dirty. The thing with Bosses are that they are easy to fix. Have had my blade apart and back together again and plowing snow in a couple hours. Dealer support is the key and if the dealer drops the ball, its time to find a new one.
  14. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

WOW, 12 responses already! Thanks everyone for all the helpful feedback.

I've looked at them on their website. They too look good, but it doesn't seem like many people have much experience with them yet. Maybe there'll be more info as the year progresses.

15. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

Hmm lets see..manhole covers sticking up(that was the worst one), hidden islands, misjudging where the island is(happens when the snow gets deeper that the curbs,the second worst one). New potholes in a lot(They just suddenly appear), gas station filler caps, frozen snow piles, cleaning along curb lines angled away from the curb(gotta love when it grabs the curb), thats all i can think of right now....

Bye the way Welcome to Cuba..:waving: wesport :gunsfiring:
  16. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Thanks, Grass told me he wanted more company on the island. The drive down was kinda wet though. lol
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  17. SnowGuy

SnowGuy Senior Member
    from NW Ohio

Don't know what all these guys are doing to bend their Boss plows. I have plowed snow commercially for 32 years and have been a "Boss Guy" for the last 12 years. I have owed 5 Boss V plows and have never bent anything on any of them. Both my son and I drive
    Ford F-350 CrewCab shortbed PowerStrokes carrying 2500 - 3000 lbs. of de-icer. If you are careful and KNOW your lots, you should not hurt anything. Over the years it has been my experience that the guys that tear things up don't know or remember their lots or they don't "stake" the islands and hidden problem areas pre-season. This is their own fault. Last but not least,,,,,, Boss makes the best plow on the market (In my opinion). Have a GREAT plowing season. Snow Rules :redbounce
  18. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Here we go again. If you plow in a manner that is productive (going over 5-10 MPH) as well as plowing parking lots, you will bend or break something eventually. I expect everything I purchase to perform work to break eventually. What I look for is something that will give me the least amount of repair costs over the life of that piece of equipment. I am not plowing driveways, I am plowing 99.9% commercial with manholes, curbs that get hidden in drifts, potholes, etc. If we want to get into a pissing match, I can take the time to figure out how many seasons of plowing I have on my Boss V's compared to yours and take that into account, but it would probably be a waste of my time.

Call me a plow jockey if you want, but my equipment is purchased to be used and used hard. That's fine, it doesn't bother me because I am still making money even with the repairs.

I never said the Boss were bad plows, one of the 9'2"s was in service up until this year when I upgraded to a 860 Speedwing. I had very little downtime during plowing with my Boss plows, it was just my opinion and experience that they were too costly to continue to purchase and maintain. I went with Fishers and would have more if there weren't Blizzards on the market.
  19. THE05HD

THE05HD Member
    from WI

AARON :)
  20. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Got an 8.2 V, Dodge 2500 diesel shortbox quad cab.

I hit a man hole one night hard enough where I hit my head on the roof of the cab.

Guess I'm lucky though, nothing's broken or bent on the plow.

I plow about 20 hours / storm, in 16 commercial lots. Plowed 7 times last year, so far 5 times this year.

The second storm that I had it, the motor froze on it, completely fried.

Luckily, I was only 3 blocks from my dealer, so I just left it on the ground and plowed the street for the city.

I still have minor issues here and there, and so far the dealer keeps covering them under warranty.