1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wholesale Prices?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by fattyry, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Anyone know a website where I could find out the wholesale prices of used trucks? Thinking about a used '05 or '06 2500, quad cab, XLT, Laramie, or Power Wagon. Around me, dealers can't get them off the lots, including diesels. So when the time to deal comes, I'd like to be able to put the screws to 'em. :gunsfiring:

Would love a diesel, but I would just be wasting the power, since I'd only be using it as my daily driver and to plow....

Any info would be helpful. Thanks!

2. graycenphil

graycenphil Member

KBB.com or edmunds.com. look at the "trade in" price ot get a rough idea.

But all these guides are a bit behind - truck values have been dropping faster than they can keep up. Which makes this a great time to buy one.

And you might want to consider the diesel - they are worth even less than gas vehicles because diesel is more expensive right now. You can really get an extraordianry deal on a diesel truck.

3. stillen

stillen Senior Member

wholesale prices

I do have a suggestion. I work at a dealership. I am NOT a sales guy, I am their IT person. However, Ive overheard enough conversations and have a good relationship with the sales guys that I have learned a ton.

Customers going in trying to "put the screws" to the dealer always walk out angry because they have a high expectation of getting a SUPER deal. I was told the best and happy customers are just informed and educated about the products.

Yes, trucks are at a all time low. Dealers have them on the lot well past 180 days, way too long if you talk to any of them. Something to think about though, If they paid a customer "X" amount of money as a trade in, they need to atleast make that back, if not then why even be in business. Sometimes YES, you might find a deler to sell you at a loss to make the sale for the month so the numbers are up. It doesnt happen a lot, but maybe you'll get lucky.

Find a truck you want, get the Edmnds/KBB trade in price, thats a good start. You are right, there are a ton of trucks on the lot. If you dont have a trade in, you're in even better condition. Go in with a friendly attitude, tell them what you are looking for and how much you can afford. Sales guys hate customers who are arrogant and rude just as much as we hate them who are like that as well....

good luck.....

4. Thanks Stillen...I usually like to "kill'em with kindness"...I find that works best. Had a great experience buying the wife's new Subaru last fall, Sales guy was a nice old timer, I came in prepared w/ all the KBB/Edmunds stuff, quotes from other dealerships, etc. and we got a great deal done in about 10 minutes.

Since truck prices are falling so much, KBB prices, etc are quickly becoming obsolete. I'm just looking for a more "real time" place to find out the values.

Although, it's nice to know that I'll be paying $6k to $10k less than I would have 2 years ago for a good used truck...:D

5. stillen

stillen Senior Member

spoke with a used truck manager today, he does all the buying selling of used vehicles and wholesale, both on the lot and at auctions...... he said the same, trucks that would pull 20k last year at this time are sellng for 11-13 depending on options/mileage....... he said diesels make two sometimes three trips through the auction line before someone bids

6. Thanks again, stillen. Appreciate the inside info...:drinkup:

I'm curious to see if there's any further drop after the redesigned 09's come out...

7. bigmudder77

bigmudder77 Senior Member
    from wooster

go to a dealer you can get them like half off with all the rebates there doing now i know a guy that just got a 2008 dodge ram 2500 retails for $38,000 got it for $16,000 plus tax and title out the door he talked them down a little but with all the rebates and the stuff and the price of gas you can get a good truck for little money

8. SNO-PRO

SNO-PRO Member

16,000 plus tax.........................!!
    Thats a typo or your buddy is lying to you!