1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Who Would Of Thought This Could Happen

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by S & A Landscaping & Plowing Service, Feb 10, 2008.

1. S & A Landscaping & Plowing Service

S & A Landscaping & Plowing Service Senior Member

Who would of thought living in S.E.Michigan there would be a salt shortage...How many other guys are having this trouble...I am getting rake over the coals on getting salt...Today on 02-10-08 I went to 5 places to get salt and thay were OUT..I found one place who had it. He charge me 110.00 for a yd..{had to get it} so i told him ok he said cash only with no recipt :angry: Are there other state having this trouble to..I was asking around on why this was happing said the government step in to make sure the cities and counties have it..So the little guys pays for it again....I got the salt and left did not ask anything...
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  2. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

Cash only with no receipt? Something is fishy there. Are you sure he even worked there? j/k Wonder why he would not give you a receipt?
  3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

That sucks no receipt!!!!!! He knew you needed it and screwed you over on the no receipt part. Now you got no way to prove that 1yd of material. :gunsfiring:
  4. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

In Holland (West Michigan) Brewers City Dock ran out a month or so ago and now we go to Verplaank in Muskegon to get it.

The salt comes in on ships so when its gone its generally gone.
  5. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

Out in the NE.Towns and privates having trouble buying it. State is still ok but worried
  6. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Anyone in NE know if granite state has run out yet? A few weeks ago I got 10 tons delivered from them, so I should be good for the rest of the season. I hope. Were is the salt shortage comming from? It sounds just like the racket the oil companies have going on.
  7. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

my supplier told me that the salt mine(in LA) they had dedicated to the mid-west colapsed and that is part of the trouble and i think they also had prob's with one of the kansas mines

it is a law that Gov. and Municipalities have first take....at any and all salt weather it be troubled year or not
  8. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

No reciept = Price gouging
    "Oh, I never charged him that much"
  9. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I'd be willing to haul pallets of salt to you if you could buy enough to make it worth my while. Maybe you could hook up with some other Michigan guys and get an order together and I'll bring it over.

It would either be 50lb bags of 49/pallet or 80lb bags of 30/pallet.

PM me if you're interested and we can talk price. I could probably cut you a better deal if you'd be willing to meet me half way...something to think about anyway.
  10. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Salt shortage .... Yup. Upper IL many towns have only sand others 25% salt mix, intersections only. People are stealing from private salt piles. A few counties are taking control over private salt pile distributors. Yup ... just a slight sale shortage.
  11. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

That's illegal not to give you a receipt. There is not excuse for it ever! A receipt can be scribbled on a napkin. Its because he did not want to be charged with price gouging. I would call the attorney general ot consumer protection or revenue services on him. He is probably not reporting the sale (do you have sales tax). Its people like that who really ruin small business.
  12. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

It's illegal to sell for cash but I'm not sure it's price gouging. No one else has any salt and when that happens you can charge what the market will bear. He didn't force him to buy it. I'm not saying it's right but that's the way it is. Buy the way some guys talk of what they charge for spreading salt, that might be price gouging. JMO
  13. Flipper

from CT

No its not illegal to sell for cash, its illegal to sell and not provide a receipt.

It may have been because he does report the sales as income (I will gurantee he marked it up) or charge sales tax.

Or it may be because he was gouging. And it is gouging, even if it is limited supply, to charge a much higher rate. A few gas station owners were convicted of it after 9-11-2001.

I would think it is the first though. At $110 a yard he would $6 for tax (CT rate is 6% not sure of MI) Plus say he only paid $50 (for example) on it then he made a profit of $60 a yard less his expenses. This is income that must be reported. He is cheating the Feds, state and the customer. Now the customer can't report that as an expense. We all try to play fair and some jerk has to ruin it.
  14. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I agree. When someone tells me they want cash, I presume no receipt and that there putting it directly in their pocket. I don't do things for cash because I love the country I live in. I'm still not convinced it's price gouging though. at $110. It's supply and demand. Some places around here have raised there prices alot and I can either chose to buy or live without. What about all the guys that plow driveways for cash?
  15. Flipper

from CT

I agree it might not be price gouging. He is certainly hiding something though.

As for all the guys who plow drives for cash, they are just screwing everything up for the rest of us. When they don't report there income they don't pay into the system so now and in the future we will be paying for them.
  16. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

Someone called me last week from Detroit wanting to buy bulk salt from me.. I told them cleveland should have plenty??