1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

who works for thier state? preferably ma

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by jimaug87, Feb 14, 2007.

1. jimaug87

jimaug87 Senior Member

im preparing for next winter. i want to get a rig at the end of this season (i work on cars, so dont worry about me buying a broken rig). but how hard is it to get in with the state? i would only have a 4 wheel rig with an 8ft plow. does anyone know when i should ask them if i can get in?

would a swb rig like a blazer or bronco be a bad idea for highway/city streets? i want a full sized blazer but i dont want to have trouble pushing the heavy stuff.

thanks for any input guys, and im looking forward to you guys that plow for the ma DOT

2. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

Hi Jim and welcome to the site. I do not plow for the state but I do plow for the town of North Attleboro. I know several people who do work for the state. I beleive the require at least a 3/4 ton truck. In November they had a big sign on the side of 95 down here for 3 or 4 weeks looking for trucks so I dont think that you will have a hard time getting signed up. The town I plow for has a 30 day payment gurantee. I think the state now pays twice a year like Jan and May.

3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I work for our State, and I have yet to see a check!!!!!!!!:realmad: :realmad: :realmad: Well we did get one check for a whole whoppin' 108 bucks out of thousands they owe us. Its to the point I'm gonna shut them off just like any other customer.("Net 30 days", ya right) Hopefully this week we'll see something. If you do get into a state deal just remembre to tripple check everything paperwork wise!!!!!

4. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

You can pretty much get all the info on signing up on the website. One thing to keep in mind is what plowfast mentioned about the signs. Why would they need to advertise looking for trucks?

http://www.mhd.state.ma.us/default.asp?pgid=SnowIceIndex&sid=level2

It is OK money, nothing to worry about, get a call and go plow. One thing to consider is getting paid. It has been mentioned here that for work after Jan 1st you could be waiting until Oct to get paid. So if you are looking to make a quick buck, forget about it. More or less you will be loaning the state money.

Plus they are now monitoring with GPS. So you will have to ask if you can live with that.

5. jimaug87

jimaug87 Senior Member

yeah, i was chatting with a guy once, a while back, and he said he would get one big check in june/july. Im ok with that, i have money right now, i dont need this. But i think it would be nice to get to go out in the storms, then come summer and i get a big bonus.

I would go back and chat with that guy, but i dont know where he is or his contact info, i just kind of ran into him.

im fine with the gps, i didnt plan on doing driveways and such while i was on the clock. i was gonna go out and do my thing.

I could use a 3/4 ton truck anyway, i might be getting a trailer to carry my beautiful toy jeep around on, and i would need something bigger, long wheelbase, to do that.

Thanks for the replies, keep the advise coming

6. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

If you look at it that way, I think it is a way to go. Gets you out, no headaches from customers, plow a little and wait for the check.

I have heard that plowing for the storms in the fall and early winter (until Dec 31st), are paid promptly in January. Just the work you do after the 1st of the year that takes a while to pay.

7. jimaug87

jimaug87 Senior Member

yeah, im still in college so this would just be money for school and car insurance mostly. and since theres no way im getting in this winter (even tho its only snowed once!!) i have some time to figure things out till they bire for next year....... i think, right?

8. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Just remember that you need to have everything done and approved/accepted/finished before Nov 1st (or something like that) to allow you to plow the following storm. I remember seeing something in regards to a reward if you get it done earlier. The website should have all the info.

Good luck.

9. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Mass Highway

Hi,
    I am pretty sure a 3/4 ton is the smallest allowed now.
    Your best bet for feeling out state work in your area(local depots) is stop by between 7:30am-3pm+- and talk to the pit boss.He will have final say in who gets hired and once hired who gets the call to come in....Be nice to him.lol
    The past few seasons there has been openings as many have gotten sick of the B.S of snow work in general(Blood Money).This seems to go threw phases..I've seen a waiting list and I have seen M.H advertising for contractors in February!!!
    Check out the website below they have done allot helping the small guys keep Mass Highway in line.Still no answer to having to wait for your money(Politics) but they have been keeping M.H honest for the most part...

http://www.masnowfighters.com/

10. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

I have a question for anyone that plows for the State of MA, after reading through some stuff.

You take your 23,000lb truck with 11' plow to get it's annual inspection for the state contract on Oct 14th. The highway inspector gives you a sticker saying that the truck is inspected.

So bringing your 11' plow to get inspected by the state highway official is a violation (you are too wide), and the fact that you had your plow on before Oct 15th is yet another violation.

I can imagine making it to the inspector safely, getting your MA Highway approved sticker,
    only to find yourself pulled over on the way home for over width and plow on too early.

Not being picky, just poking fun at some of these crazy laws.

11. Oshkosh

Get used to it...

Get used to it ...
    DOT Regs are out when it is snowing(Unofficially)....The rules are out when it is snowing don't you know....That is Unless something happens and then it hits the fan!!!!
    There are not enough drivers(CDL) now ,imagine if you had to have at-least two per truck to cover hours in the seat...
    The list goes on and on...

Last edited: Feb 16, 2007
  12. SnowPro93

SnowPro93 Senior Member

13. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Has anybody ever thought of just working for the state highway department using the state's equipment? Might be less of a hassle than using your own. I bet they hire people just for snow storms. Just a thought.

14. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

LOL

Not to be rude, but you have more of a chance of being elected president then getting a government employee out of the seat.

The whole purpose of the contracting was for the state to keep less equipment.

More or less the state admitting that it cannot profitably clear snow on a large scale, but any Joe with a plow and able to fill out a simple form can do it profitably.

Not bashing the good folk contracting, just poking fun at another government failure in Mass.

15. SnowPro93

SnowPro93 Senior Member

16. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Sure. :)

So when the cop pulls you over you can tell him that it is "unofficially" ok. :dizzy:

I am sure that if in fact something does go wrong the state will support you 100%.

Sure.

17. Oshkosh

Yeah, OK!

What ever makes you sleep better at night.
    The biggest thing I learned after ten years of contracting to M.H is you are on your own if something happens.It is your choice and that is the bottom line.
    I personally had a pretty good relationship with the guys both private and state that I worked with.
    Just because they ask/tell you to do something you are on your own,you need to do it as safely as you can.One of those Damned if you do Damned if you don't deals.
    I still want to know how trucks with wing plows don't need special(over width) permits?? Or a Hydraulic/hoisting license?

18. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

19. jimaug87

jimaug87 Senior Member

thanks guys, you have been really helpful. looks like im going to be going after a dodge 2500 for f250, sorry, but not a huge chevy guy. and thats ok, i decided to go soa on my jeep, and put some 38"s on it, so i need a trailer too.