1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Who uses well brine?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Mean4x4, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Mean4x4

Mean4x4 Senior Member
    from Livonia

I have heard so many different opinions on liquid, and I am confused. we ordered 2 500 gallon turbo turf sprayers. We have well brine available delivered at 40 cents / gallon. We have heard of Magic Salt, calcium blends, ect ect. I am in Southeast Michigan, and confused. I have heard many good things about well brine as pre treatment and post treatment for snow & ice. I am under the assumption that if we have a bad winter, salt simply will not be available. Therefore, we're looking at our most effective & reasonable alternative to rock salt. Before people start jumping at me, I am not looking to eliminate rock salt, I simply have to assume that come January, there will be none left. ( who knows? ) Please anyone that has used these products, give me the pros and cons. FYI the salt brine contains 28% calcium, thats what I do know. Thanks!

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Used a tote's worth last year, it worked OK, seems like I put more on than I had to to get the desired results, but it did what it was supposed to.

I will be getting more this year to try again, more scientifically as well.

3. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

I will be trying some from a dealer in ohio this winter at .20 per gallon. Will buy it at a tanker load since i was only able to get 480 tons of salt for the season. Adding pretreatment on parking lots in my contract for this year. How much were the turbo sprayers and what size truck are you putting the 500 gallon tanks in.

4. Mean4x4

Mean4x4 Senior Member
    from Livonia

turbo turf

4700 + tax. thats with the upgraded pump, 3 lane boom, 3 lane in cab controller, 100 ft electric wind hose reel to spray walks. they're delayed roughly 2 weeks on production as of yesterday. the 500's are going in a Gmc 6500 dump & a freighliner FL80 dump. Might possibly be going in the back of an F350 diesel. ( springs are built really tough, holds 7000 lbs and levels out ). I'm hoping the well brine works out. I have heard good things about it, and heard compared to a magic salt or liquid calcium, its simply not worth the extra money. So I guess we'll see on the first snowfall.

5. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

I understand well brine to be the worst of the liquids. Inconsistency between batches being another concern. Might want to continue your education of these alternatives out there to chose from.

6. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

I was looking at a 300 gallon tank for one of my 1 ton dump truck. I will have to look at there set up. Thanks.

7. alwayz-plowin

alwayz-plowin Senior Member

Hey did u get your sprayer yet????
    Any pics???
    im looking to get one just like it
    Did u get it from A MI dealer?????????

8. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

I tried a couple totes last winter, it was ok, but I'm going to stick with the Liquidow that I have been using. The liquidow was a little cheaper / gallon too.

9. petem

petem Inactive

Make sure you are getting mineral well brine not oil well brine. Mineral well brine is very consistent as it is not manufactured. Call Brad or Pete at 1-800-286-7312 for more information.