1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Who uses tire chains?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Crumm, Dec 2, 2004.

Do you use chains to plow?

1. Yes

2. No

1. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

I was just wondering if you guys down there in the warmer climates have to use chains much? I never did until today. We got hit with a warm front then some rain then snow. I have a push where I go down hill and make a big pile. It was getting to be a pain to get backed out of the pile so I threw on a set of chains. I did get a quite a bit of old piles and berms pushed back where I would have got stuck if I didn't have them on. The big draw back is that all of my smooth snow pack is now chewed up with tire chain marks.
  2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

I keep a set in my trucks all the time and I have used them on occaision. You have to be prepared for anything.
  3. doh

doh Senior Member

Yes but only breaking my 12 mole lake road, or when it gets really drifted. On ice they are a god send but they can bite you very fast, I have dug the wheels into the ice up to the hubs.
  4. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

real deep heavy ice crusted snow one time 18 inches on all four tire could move anything
  5. Tarkus

One bad year I plowed with 4 tires chains and it was awesome the pushing power you had.
  6. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

i MI you cant drive with them on the roads. no studded tires either. could expain why people side all over though.
  7. Tarkus

In Michigan???
  8. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

We're allowed to have studded tires here in Indiana (south/central IN). Dad used to have a Mercury Cougar rear wheel drive car he put studded tires on in wintertime, and about 4 bags of water softener salt (then in spring we'd dump that into the softener, recycle your resources LOL). he said the weight and studded tires made a difference... I really wanted to do a burnout with the studs on some asphalt, i bet that does pretty good, throwing some sparks in with the rubber :p the ol' Cougar used to break the tires loose pretty easily on dry pavement... oh anyway off topic sorry...
  9. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Same here in Illinois. Roads in Illinois are in bad enough shape, I think chains would make it much worse.