1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Who uses Smartlock, are they worth it?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by sqdqo, Nov 10, 2011.

1. sqdqo

sqdqo Member
    from mqt mi

What are your opinions of the Smartlock cylinders? Are they worth the money? Do they work well not a nuisance?
  2. supercuts

supercuts Senior Member

im no expert, but both my vplows have the smartlock and my dealer said he wont evensell a v-plow without them. they keep the plow in the selected postion when back blading. cant compare it to a vplow without them because ive never uesd one without. they do what they are supposed to do. straight blades dont need them since it has one pivit point and one side will have preasure holding it in place
  3. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

It works, not a nuisance at all.
  4. milwaukeevtwin

milwaukeevtwin Senior Member

I would have a hard time spending the money id i did not buy them with the plow i did not have them on my rt-2 but every time i order a new plow i get them and luv them
  5. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

They are a must have!
  6. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

Yes, yes and yes. I do a lot of backdragging and they are a must. Worth it!
  7. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I couldn't imagine using a V plow without them. I'd be banging my head against the steering wheel.
  8. kurtandshan

kurtandshan Senior Member

I dont have them....haven't had an issue
  9. JohnRoscoe

JohnRoscoe Senior Member

I honestly thought they were a named feature on ALL Boss plows, and not just an option until I read this.

I can't imagine who would have installed a Boss without them.
  10. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

The minimal amount of back dragging that I do involves congested loading docks. I have to clear within a few inches of dumpsters & walls, on a steep incline and while navigating around all the pallets and crap that didn't make it into the dumpster. If I didn't maintain the control that I have w/ the Smartlocks, I wouldn't be able to clean as well, if my wings were to slide forward on a back drag.

I had lost one of my best accounts for 2 seasons to a hack who literally cut my numbers in half. (you know who you are, Richmond Rd. guy) Last year i got it back. One of several stories I was told was the guy couldn't clean the docks well enough. A delivery truck had caught the ice packed snow & slid the entire box flat against a 40 yard dumpster while in the pit. It's a very busy delivery dock which got shut down for most of the day, while a wrecker tried to pry him off of it. The down time, man hours & failure to receive their deliveries, causing lost revenues...suddenly made my figures seem like not such a big deal. That is just one problem this company had experienced through the duration of the other guys service. So, from where I'm standing...I really value the Smartlocks.
  11. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

I do not have the smart locks on my plow, it was a big mistake not getting them. In small amounts of snow fall (up to 4 or 5") it's often not a big deal, but with heavier amounts of snow it becomes a PITA. Next Boss V will have the smart locks, I don't understand why Boss doesn't make them standard, the other plow company's all do, I think.
  12. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Don't have them on my v plows.:waving:
  13. bsharp704

bsharp704 Member
    from Grant

Dont have them either, but I do have a 14 ebling on the rear of the truck.
  14. secret_weapon

Who actually uses the ^ on the V to cut through the snow/drifts. I never have.
    I actually use the Smartlocks Thumbs Up
  15. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

I use the ^ all the time. I plow a couple of long lanes in the country. Makes a HUGE difference in drifts. And YES to the Smartlocks!!

16. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

17. secret_weapon

18. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

I have often wondered why they arent standard as well. I guess that the few that dont use Smartlocks would have to pay an extra few hundred bucks if they were standard. In todays Competitive market, that could mean losing a potential sale to "brand x"?
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  19. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

I don't have them as I don't see getting my $$$ out of them. I can count the number of times I wish I had them on one hand. However, while my setup works well enough for my situation, in the handful of instances that I do any back dragging, I can see how I'd really need them if that was a regular part of my route.
  20. AndersonCS

AndersonCS Member

Now that i have a pull plow on the 06 I might not use smartlocks. Any truck w/o a pull plow needs smartlocks, just my opinion.