1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Who Uses Liquid Applications??

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by bbpropmaint, Nov 17, 2010.

1. bbpropmaint

bbpropmaint Junior Member

Considering buying a tank..To treat my own pile of bulk, but also want to boom spray..What have been your observations,and what are the cost comparisons???Thanks in advance..
  2. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Use the search button, you'll find everything you are looking for there. BTW welcome.

3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

We used it the past 2 or 3 seasons. The 1st year we used it in conjunction with rock salt and that seemed to work the best. I had a 300 gallon tank and a Fisher 1000, we would spray sparingly, then lay down about 1/2 to 3/4 of the rock we normally used and it melted off very quickly and stayed wet for a long while. Last year we used liquid only and the results were good. We bought a 550 gallon tank, used our electric shut off valve from the other tank and a schedule 80 pvc pipe for our boom. It always maintained good pressure and we salted quite a bit with the 500 gallons. When it was very cold out we used a bit more. Its best used as a pre treat but we've had good luck with it all around. The supplier we buy from mixed some Calcium Chloride and I think Magnesium Chloride in with it. I would still be using it this year but due to 2 large lots we got, its cheaper to use bulk salt even after factoring the purchase of a new V box. Hope this helps.
    P.S. if you get a larger tank, invest in some Baffle Balls or Surge Busters like we used, your tranny will thank you.
  4. Brian Young

And yes.....the "search button" will help greatly. Just type in liquid salt or liquid brine.
  5. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

Brian, when you say large tank, are you talking 300 or 500 gallon. Those surge balls are pretty pricy. I think i read somewhere if you take pvc tubing and cut it into sections, it works similiar ?
  6. Brian Young

Actually our 300 gallon tank surged pretty bad and our 550 gallon was ridiculous. Yes they are expensive, I have about 400.00 just in Surge Busters which are awesome! Even a half full tank, coming to a stop barley moved at all, in fact after stopping the truck only moves up and down (like on a boat) once or twice very minimal. I heard yes and no to the pvc pipe trick. You will need a tank that has a 16" opening to fit the Surge Busters, I dont know how big the Baffle Balls are.
  7. kevhead20

kevhead20 Inactive
    from Chicago

We don't service the NE, but if you have any questions on LIQUIDOW calcium chloride, I would be happy to answer them.

8. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks to some Canadians on here, if you use corrugated plastic drainage tubing in those tanks you will see a HUGE difference in slosh. I cut mine into 24" pieces and packed the tank full of them. It takes about 100' of tubing per hundred gallon of tank. 100' costs about $20.00. So a 300 gallon tank filled with the tubing only cost $60.00.

Unless you're dealing with a high moisture content snow, liquid salt brine will perform as well as rock salt at about 25% of the cost of rock salt.

How can it be cheaper to use rock salt than a salt brine solution? What are trying to do with it? Got any numbers? I'm confused at that statement........Call me curious?????
  9. turn54

turn54 Senior Member

I also used the 3" perforated tile, about 150' in my 200 gallon tank. Took all the surge away. Cheapest alternative I've found to baffle balls.
  10. turn54

turn54 Senior Member

also I think I only lost about 8 gallons of capacity when doing this.
  11. Kubota 8540

By chance did you measure if you lost many gallons in capacity? I have been wanting to, but just haven't taken the time.

Did you cut it in pieces or just feed it in the tank?

The decrease in surge was incredible.
  12. turboguy

turboguy Member

Most Baffle balls are about 15 1/2". They are designed to just slide through a 16" tank opening. For general information to know how many baffle balls a tank requires you can multiply the tank size by .075. In other words a 300 gallon tank (300 x .75 = 22.5) takes 22 baffle balls. Typically to fill a 300 gallon tank with baffle balls is going to cost in the neighborhood of $ 300.00 +/- Baffle balls have very little impact on tank capacity.

The guys who have used cut up pipe also seem happy with the results.
  13. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

thanks guys, do you think it makes any difference using 3 or 4 inch and perforated or solid. I have a 500 gallon tank.
  14. turn54

turn54 Senior Member

I don't think 3 - 4" would make a difference. Never tried the solid so can't comment from experience. I would assume it would be more rigid and harder to put into the tank. I also think it would be harder to completely drain all the liquid out of the tank unless you took the time to cut it in to quite small pieces. To answer your question jim, I used 3 50' sections. I just kept jamming it in there. Probably not as effecient as cutting into smaller pieces, but i did it in the middle of the night when I was in a hurry.
  15. Kubota 8540

I tried to feed the whole tube in as one piece, but was to hard to do. So I took the time to cut it in to pieces. Real suprised by the results.
  16. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

if you really want to know how much capacity that you loose, simply

cut a 1 foot peace, next fill a 5 gal bucket up 2/3 of the way with water and make a mark with a shapry at the water level, then submearge the 1 foot tester peace. the water level will rise, make another mark. remove the pipe and the water level should drop to its orginial level, then take a measuring cup and add water until the nexx water level reaches the upper line, track how much water your adding , then multiply it by the number of feet that are in yoru tank.

the water might only rise a slight amount, so you might have to do 2-3 peaces to get a better reading. but thats a simple 5 min way of figuring that out

BTW, thr 4" flex...GREAT IDEA, super cheap , super easy, did you keep it all nice and organized and in lines, or cut up smaller peaces and toss them in similar to the balls? if you kept them in a line did you line them side to side, front to back? whats a good method?
  17. Kubota 8540

Just cut pieces approx 2 feet long and tossed them in until I couldn't squeeze any more in. I tried the in line layed in flat, but that only worked up to about half full, then I couldn't get the rest in. So I did the pieces. When I stop hard, the liquid may slosh about 2 inches front to back but does so very slowly.
  18. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

I filled our 350 gallon tank with 4" perferated drain tile.....