1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Who uses bobcats?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Clapper&Company, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Who uses bobcats to push snow??

I have 3 trucks w/ plows and I was thinking about useing my bobcat as well this year, Who dose this and whats the best to use? Blade, Bucket or push box.

2. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

i personally do not own a Bobcat but have worked with them before.
    If your billing by the hour use a snow bucket.
    Push boxes have there time and place and will move alot more snow then a bucket.
    A plow mounted on a skid loader (2 speed )will out produce a pickup. I have watched it with my own eyes. You just can not spin a truck around as fast . Mount a Blizzard 8611 on a big 2 speed and you have a serious snow moving machine no pickup can touch.
    Todd

3. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

And thats the truth. :drinkup:

4. grassmanvt

grassmanvt Senior Member
    from Vermont

They have their place. I have a snow bucket and 8' box blade. Never really used the bucket to plow but the box worked pretty good. Traction can be an issue and striaght pushes were the most effective if possible(so as not to loose traction), never really tried it on much of an incline but judging from the little
    I have driven them on snowy grades not plowing it seems like it would render it useless. Tight spots and flat areas are where it seemed to shine. Keep in mind though, most of my skidsteer snow pushing experience I have is on a rooftop (parkinggarage) with a cement surface with some sort of epoxy coating to reduce salt damage,etc, so that hindered traction as well.

5. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

It would be used along side some trucks, in a few of my big lots that are side by side, to do around cart racks and drive thurs ect.

6. grassmanvt

grassmanvt Senior Member
    from Vermont

sounds like an ideal situation

7. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Yes the skid loader will excel in this situation. You can back drag out spin on a dime and your pushing out to leave for the big truck or loader. just make sure the site is controlled with NO pedestrian traffic. It freaks me out when people show up out of no where to the one loan car in the big lot. It has happened more then once to me. In other words the guy driving the skid steer can really rock but be safe as well. It is easy to get too focused on the task at hand and lose site of being safe.
    Todd

Last edited: Sep 8, 2005
  8. Foz

Foz Senior Member

I have 2 Bobcat S300 skid steers and a Toolcat, although the Toolcat has its place, the S300 really shine. Go with an 8 Ft blade and put removable ends on it, we use the Bobcat blades with ends.

You will need to have a good operator that knows enough not to smash teh end plates, but the skid steer will outwork a pickup by 1.6 to 2 times as much production.

9. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Wow, 1.6, you have really time and calculated this, haven't you :p This guy is not messing around :nono: :D

10. bottlefed89

bottlefed89 Member

Has anyone made their own plows from an old pickup plow and a empty attachment plate?? I've been thinking of this since I can't afford an actual skidsteer plow...

11. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

we run 6 bobcats for snow removal in condo and townhouses they cant be beat.the problem with using a truck snow plow with the bobcats attachment is that they tend tonot scrape as well and tend to ride the snow.We use the boss attachments and are well built and trouble free.the bobcat vee we use is also good but the diamond blades broke alot of welds.

12. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Bobcats are great in the right application. Small commercial lots I can plow faster than with a truck. This is even with load/unload time, and yes I strap it down every time I pull away with the truck. Downside is trailering it around. I use my 4x4 dually with a skid of salt in the back and if needed I can always load it tongue heavy. I only use 4x4 when needed, which is usually only 6"+ snow on the ground or icy conditions.
    The truck plows work fine. You just need to learn where to put the plow angle (up/down angle). They are great on docks IF they aren't too iced up. The truck plows need to have a restricter in the line or the plow slams side to side way to fast when you angle it. This eventually destroys the cylinders and they start leaking.
    Guys I know that have used boxes say they aren't very good because they get too much weight and lose traction. Maybe the wider tires are the solution? I dunno. Mine has stock tires. On long pushes I would say use the truck, because plow or box you will lose traction on a long push.
    Good luck and have fun with it. I actually enjoy using the cat for plowing, but rarely get to because I hit big commercial stuff with long pushes. This is also where I need the salt spreader and I need to coordinate my drivers at multiple locations. It's not as easy to talk on the CB or cell from the cab of the skidsteer.

13. drmiller100

drmiller100 Senior Member
    from idaho

we get too much snow here to use a truck plow. There are a few around, but they are very limited in usage. Big loaders with 12 yard or bigger buckets are the rule.
    But skidsteers give them a run for their money. I use a snowbucket/blower for residential stuff.
    To trailer them, you MUST get a good system. I have a 12 foot, 10gvw trailer with 2 foot steel sides. I load the skidsteer backwards, so it has a LOT of tongue weight, then throw up the rear ramp, chain the ramp, then throw a chain on the skidsteer to the front of the trailer.
    so, to get loose, the steer has to go up over the sides, or through the sides, and break the chain at the front.
    also, rear ramp like the lawn guys do with extruded metal for snow to fall through, and gizmos that support the ramp to the ground. so when you drop the ramp, it drops the supports too.
    Rear tires of a skidsteer have 85 percent of the weight. if you put chains on, put them on teh back, and use chains made for skidsteers or you will tear them up. I've heard of guys using studded blizzaks on their skidsteers. I'm thinking about it for this year. If I did it, I'd run the studs in the back, adn non-studded in teh front.

14. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

i'm finding alot out here, thanks for all the input and please keep it comeing.

15. bottlefed89

bottlefed89 Member

hickslawn - so I can just weld a mount to a skidsteer attachment plate, and then use the up/down of the machine, and the auxillary hydraulics for the plow side to side?? What do I use as a restrictor??
    thanks
    greg
    bottlefed89@hotmail.com

16. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

bottlefed
    still working on the restrictor. I am either going to take 2 brass ball valves and adjust them to the flow desired, then remove the handles so as to not move them. Other option is to put fittings like a bushing, or reduced coupling with a nipple to increase size on the other side. SHould be able to use common plumbing fittings with trial and error. I never restricted mine, just keep rebuilding cylinders. Not usually my style, but I only use the cat with plow when all other trucks and subs are tasked out. It is more of a backup, or something I take out when we are way ahead of shedule just for a change of pace. It is quicker on most lots. There is a learning curve with the cat, but something that can be gotten used to. You don't want to put the front wheels 2 feet off the ground with all the weight on the plow. It is my opinion if you put pressure on the plow till the front wheels lift up slightly, then back them down a touch it is nearly perfect. This puts traction to 4 tires not 2. Also puts less stress on a truck blade, not really designed to have all that down pressure. Different methods for everyone. This is something always being adjusted to contours of different lots, just like your truck plow, only more variables with the angles of the blade.

17. slade

slade Senior Member

Last year I put together a plow for a Bobcat using a truck blade, worked pretty good. However you do need to restrict the flow of the fluid. I was able to buy 2 flow control valves from Northerntool.com 1 for each hose. They work pretty good they have a nob on top that turns to adjust the flow from nothing to completely open. Cost $20.00 each

18. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Thanks Slade! I might try that and use mine more frequently this year. Might save me some trial and error time.

19. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I just rent one or two when the snow piles get high, and then relocate it on the property....Works fine for me and the cost aint bad either.

20. westwind

westwind Member

JD skid steers 260 2-speeds with meyer poly truck plow converted over. Ideal for associated properties and lots close together. Coupled with the 1-ton chevys, w/plows, makes these ideal. payup payup payup