1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Who uses a Private Meteorological Service?

Discussion in 'Weather' started by Clapper&Company, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

I just wanted to know if any one uses a private meteorological service? I been looking in to them for a few years now, and just wanted to see what every one thinks.

2. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

I get enough information using the tv, radio, internet and the DTN. Don't feel the need to pay for another opinion on a forecast.....but that's just my opinion.

3. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

You guys use DTN service?

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I love DTN.

Used it back when it was satellite based, stopped for a few years, now back on it via PC.

It has a distance tool on the radar that you can use to estimate start and stop times for precip.

That feature alone makes it worth every penny. Just wish it could figure out time estimates instead of having to figure it out myself.

5. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Yesiree bob!

Have had it for quite a while.

Love it, love it, love it!

6. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Is it any easier than just looking at the radar and timing the speed and measuring the distance on say weather.com? That is what I usually do and it works okay for predicting timeframe. MI is kinda iffy though, sometimes it will be snowing like hell on the radar but nothing is actually happening in the entire county.

7. Mark Oomkes

That's because they crank the sensitivity way up, better for ratings. Seriously.

I've pulled the local NWS radar up, local news and DTN and DTN is far more accurate for actual precipitation. There is also a feature that gives you local weather conditions, so you can check what is actually happening compared to radar. Learned that trick a long time ago. Still get some virgo\vergo\whatever, but much less.

As for the range tool, I think it is, because you can pick any spot on the radar with a mouse click, go to the leading edge of the precip, get the mileage and then work your way backwards from there. I usually start at the leading edge and go back to the first frame to get how fast it is moving. I can get it within a half hour, most of the time.

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What is DTN?

9. Mark Oomkes

I'd like to say "Dumb Toothless Mainer" but that doesn't work.

http://www.dtn.com/

http://www.dtnmeteorlogix.com/

Is this professional enough? No mention of beer in this post. Well, until just now.

10. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

Hey Mark whats the difference in the two?

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Dom't try to imsult ne like that. Maine starts with am "M", mot "N". Who looks like a dunny mow?

12. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Sorry....I ain't biting. :D

13. Mark Oomkes

LMAO, very good. :drinkup: :drinkup:

14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Use your best Elvis voice here - "Thank you, Thank you very much"

15. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

So what does a service like this cost??