1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Who uses a mower (ZTR, Front Deck, Garden Tractor) to remove snow?

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by rusty_keg_3, Nov 7, 2010.

1. rusty_keg_3

rusty_keg_3 Senior Member

This includes- Plows, Snowblowers, Brooms, Anything i may have missed...

I know theirs a few people out there...
    One with a JD F932
    One with a Walker
    One with a Grasshopper

Kinda curious about these for sidewalks... We (the school i go to and work at part time) use 2 JD "Mowers" they are really just Small utility Tractors... A JD 2520, and JD 4100... Both have a blower, rotary broom, and plow... As well as a salter on the back...

Heres some that are out there, they all look pretty cool, i really really think the Toros the coolest, but deff the most expensive...

http://www.toro.com/grounds/mower/trim/gm7200/snow_intro.html

http://www.walkermowers.com/implements/36-snowblower.php

http://www.grasshoppermower.com/snowremoval.php

2. aperfcrcle

aperfcrcle Senior Member

in my experiences, they suck. I had a small utility tractor and it wouldnt push crap. it had chains and no matter how much weight you put on it, just spun its tires and got stuck. The chains would constantly come off... it was just a nightmare. The only time i had a semi good experience with it was when there was maybe an inch on the ground. But even with that, it still spun and had a hard time pushing. I would say go with the blower because you would eliminate the pushing and thats the main problem. That or get an atv, those things are great.

3. flatlander42

flatlander42 Senior Member

4. pinepointe

pinepointe Senior Member

ingersoll

I bought a ingersoll 3018 2 years ago used it last year to remove upwards of 3 feet over a two week period srarted with the plow and finished with a 54" blower loved it got wheel weights along with weight basket added lights and got a cab on the way for this year i kept 8 plus drives open plus two city blocks it was unstopable

5. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

I've got a Grasshopper with a blade. It works well on sidewalks. As long as it's just snow, it's a good clean scrape. Never any traction problems. The worst part is dragging the trailer around with it on it. Get to the site, unload Grasshopper, put the salter on, unhook trailer...THEN plow. If i didn't have miles of sidewalk, I wouldn't bother with it.

6. cda817

cda817 Senior Member

Diesel Walker w/snowblower

[​IMG]

Works great but needs to be jumped off of truck the mower batteries don't have the amps to crank it under 40 degrees. I'm working on a dual battery setup for this winter so it doesn't have to be jumped.

7. 04f250fisher

04f250fisher Senior Member

I have a toro 328d with full cab and blower and work. Works awsome

8. 3ipka

3ipka Senior Member

This is what I use....
    Great machine thought about a walker but this is nice cause you can easily jump curbs, also have a small propane heater in the cab to keep things nice and toasty....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

I could see a blower being a good option because of the PTO readily available, but not so much on the plow idea. Most ZTRs are designed with a low center of gravity and are engineered to spread weight with a very low impact on the ground. Unless you fabricate weights and run different tires, I can't see them being very effective. Not to mention they probably would not hold up to pushing abuse.

10. RLCUTTERS

RLCUTTERS Junior Member

i use a commercial walk behind mower with homemade plow for sidewalks and small lots...

11. cubplower

cubplower Senior Member

i have to garden tractors with plows and they do fine in every snow in the past 5 years

12. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

This is what I used to plow with years ago before I got my license. It did great with fluffy snow as long as I stayed on top of it. Heavy wet snow it didn't do great, but with chains and 100 lbs. of weights on the rear it would push it. I actually did 10 condo drives with it the last year I used it. Paid for itself probably 10 times over in the 5 seasons I used it.

With Lights On.jpg

13. rusty_keg_3

rusty_keg_3 Senior Member

Have a JD 420... (89 garden tractor), we have found some lades for cheap, and are considering one for walks..... Do they angle? What helps? Wheel weights, chains, stuff like that...

14. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010