1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Who uses a Magnet strobe w/ Lighter

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Jpocket, Dec 24, 2005.

1. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

Im looking to buy a double rotator or strobe with a magnet mount and a cig adapter. Im gonna use it for my back up plow truck and my personal truck. I have a big rotating beacon on the main horse.

How do you feel the cig lighter adapter works, with the wire going through the window and all? I was thinking of running it through the passenger window, with an extention, and taping the slack to the head liner out of the way.
  2. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

best bar i have seen but dont look into the lite blinding for the driver but it puts a beam out there... for the price
  3. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I have a Star dual strobe lightbar...:eek: very bright! Next year I am trying to decide whether to get a LED lightbar or a Code 3 MX7000 minibar with dual rotators and amber intersection lights....aaah, decisions decisions.:rolleyes:
  4. sawbones25

sawbones25 Member

I use one. Just a single strobe with a lighter plug.
    My lighter is a little screwy so it takes some tweaking to get it to work, but when it does, the strobe works well. It has about 75 flashes per minute and it's pretty bright.

The magnets are pretty strong also. I've gone under a few low branches and the light is still where I put it...
  5. Up North

Up North Senior Member

I have the ECCO 5600 or 5660, don't remember for sure. But it run about $50or so and works just fine for me. Single rotator, magnetic suction cup w/15ft. cord. I slap it on the cab and run it thru top of my rear door (ext. cab Silverado), then run it under the center console up to the aux. cig lighter. When unplugged I lay it over my controller and it's ready to go for my next stop. Easy, works great, and economical. Plus it's NOT so bright as to blind you but bright enough that if someone can't see you...they shouldn't be licensed to drive.

6. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Whelen Guardian for sure on this end.
  7. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

I run a double strobe mag light with the lighter hook up. Never had any problems with it as of yet. I run out the back door of the ext cab and run the wire in between the seats. It has an on/off switch on the plug itself and when not in use just use the button to shut it down.

8. trinitygrove

trinitygrove Member

whatever you do don't speed with the light on. Last night i made the stupid mistake of doing about 140 km/h, then all of a sudden a loug bang, nearly scared the **** out of me. I look over at the passenger window and their is my plow light dangling. Didn't break, still works, so a lesson well learned. Now I bet your gonna say what the hell are u going so fast for, I have a heavy foot sometimes. Didn't realize as my 2500 HD is just ohhhhh so smooth.
  9. trinitygrove

trinitygrove Member

oh ya, watch out for some of the switches that control the light, they tend to break. I have mine wired straight. Be very careful with the switch part of it.
  10. golden arches

golden arches Senior Member

I wired mine into the auxillary switch to a double plug just behind the driver's door. Wire runs out the door, not the window. The switch controls the light, but I still can take it off when not needed, running thru a car wash.
  11. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

My rotator mini-bars are magnet mounted, each has four 2" or so round magnets. They never move at all, even after being whacked with a tree branch or ten... ;)

As for the cig cord, I hate them, especially the coiled type like a telephone receiver wire. I cut them off and fish wires up the inside of the cab, then drill a small hole behind the dome light leading to the outside, and put a grommet in and fish the wires thru there (with some sort of connector). I put a quality switch somewhere in the dash. No wires running around the cab for me!
  12. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I use a Whelen dual strobe w/magnetic mount and cig lighter and its bright. Its amber when not in use but when I'm using it, it turns into that saftey yellow color (almost birght green)
  13. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

My light is an Ecco $100 Strobe cigarette plug. I bought some monster speaker cable and lengthened the power cord. I open the passenger door and put it on the roof. This keep's it from interfering with the window or door function. After I am done I take it inside,It's too easy for someone to steal if I leave it on the roof. If they can trade it for a pack of smokes or a rock of crack they will !
  14. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Yeah, I use a dual rotator main and strobe as a baclup both lighter plugs and magnets. No problems- just run the wire through the pass DOOR not the window. Door gasket will seal around it
  15. max

max Junior Member

yep, through the door and then around the sunvisor. that will keep it up and tight when / if somebody needs to get in.