1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

who uses a laptop onsite?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by koppandson, Jan 6, 2008.

1. koppandson

koppandson Junior Member

do you use a laptop in your truck? if so ... what do you use for a stand? i want to get one of those mounts but dont want to spend $300 for one... what are you guys using? ideas?
  2. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I would like to put on in my gmc, but I just do not see how there is any room between the dash and seat.
  3. iakentdoz

iakentdoz Senior Member

I just got Sprint Mobile Internet and right now the pc just sits on the seat but I will need some thing soon also.
  4. larryhd

larryhd Senior Member
    from vermont

I will be selling the poles very soon will let people know the price will be alot less then $300.00

KATTRANSPORT Senior Member

What kind of truck do you have. I have a RAM setup out of my 04 Ford. I recently purchsed a 08 F450 and the seating is different and it wont fit. I might sell this one if your interested

for those who dont have one in there truck. GET ONE. I dont know how I lived without a pc in my truck. Now with wireless e fax etc I never have to go home!!!
  6. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

I just set it on my fold down console since I have a bench seat. It sits in the passenger seat when not in use.
  7. koppandson

koppandson Junior Member

I have ford 06 250's :) Do you have a pic of your setup?
  8. WetChicken

WetChicken Senior Member

Make a wooden box that will strap in with the belt, and put a velcro strap over the laptop when not in use.

What is your intended use for the laptop? Dirty videos while plowing? :drinkup:
  9. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

KATTRANSPORT Senior Member

I dont have a picture , do you have a center console or a 60/40 bench combo with the console overtop the seat. The frame bolts right to the seat frame no holes to drill I love it it just wont work in my new truck
  11. koppandson

koppandson Junior Member

How much?

Dirty vids? haha .... maybe if i get bored.

Nah I used it for navigation ... MS Street & Trips. Works great for routing. Can also save the route I did ... miles, gas, etc.

Plug into GroundsKeeper information on what I did at the house ... time .. etc.
  12. WetChicken

WetChicken Senior Member

Just be sure you back up your information on the laptop a regular basis. The jarring on the platters in the hard drive will beat the snot of them, and you WILL have a failure losing all of your data.

13. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

can you guys give me an idea what it might cost to run a laptop in my trucks?
  14. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

im interested too in this idea. seems like it would be a good idea.
  15. McVey Landscaping

McVey Landscaping Member

Been thinking of adding one, could help me keep track of time on lots, add a in truck printer and print bill right on sight. I usually don't write them down.
  16. Hambrick & Co.

Hambrick & Co. PlowSite.com Addict

They make in truck printers???? How much?
  17. dakotasrock

dakotasrock Senior Member
    from MN

they dont have to be a specific "in truck printer", just a small inkjet that you could put under the back seat or something. Plug it into a power inverter.... ur good to go.
  18. koppandson

koppandson Junior Member

Well you can buy a brand new decent laptop for 400-500... tigerdirect.com has good everyday pricing.

check out your local bestbuy for sales. i was shopping for movies one day and walked by a new gateway laptop for 350....nice and small...light...PERFECT for the truck..so i got it.

then you'll need a power inverter .. you can get small/cheap ones for 30-40 bucks. that'll do the job.

you can then plug the laptop and printer into that. you can get portable printers for 250 or just buy the low end regular small office printers...they usually can sit under your cab seats. those go for 40-70 bucks depending on the sale you catch.

microsoft street and trips is 100 which includes the gps that plugs into your usb. this program is awesome. you can plug in all of your addresses you need to hit and it'll route it per your specific requests....100's of different options. can calculate gas ... it'll update all the gas station fuel prices and you'll have instant access to that.

it's really a sweet way to go. getting a laptop mount like we were talking about above is really the icing on the cake.
  19. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

thank you....i was thinking more about internet so i could monitor the radar...any ideas about that cost?
  20. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

my Verizon air card runs me $60 a month, and gets broadband speeds in most areas. required 2 yr contract is the only downfall.

I have been thinking about putting a printer in the truck to, like someone above mentioned, that would be oh so handy sometimes.