1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Who trailers their machine?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Bossman 92, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Here is my situtation. I have a few large accounts (3-5 acres) that I am considering renting a machine to plow. I would trailer the machine to each job, push the lot, then move on to the next job. At the most it would be 6 miles from the shop to job #1, then 10 miles to job # 2 , then 5 miles to job # 3.

I am looking at renting a JD SS. I am not sure what size the machine is, but it has a enclosed cab with heat. Each job has short runs, but can only be pushed one way. (you would have to back up and push each time)

Is this a good idea or not??

Could someone help me out with this? Bossman

2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I did it once, but I wouldn't reccomend it. Trailering a machine on snowy/slick roads is an interesting/hair raising and white knuckle ride.....That said, Not a great "plan" for the season, best bet if you need to move a machine during snow is rent/lease a backhoe and get a transit plate for it will give you OK travel speed and will out perform a ss hands down on 3-5 acre lots, or put a skitsteer in a roll-off or hook lift box and drive it that way if you're set on the skidsteer.. I you really want to get productive look into a 12 FT folding box for the TLB and blow those lots out quick.

3. dirtmandan2

dirtmandan2 Senior Member

I towed a skid steer for 3 years every snow storm aprox. half hour drive each way... Never had a problem.. Of course I kept it under 80...

4. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I used to do alot of this.......so with that said it can be done if your careful. In my situation I was pulling it with a 2wd 1 ton dump 10ft drop side bed. I would load my 8ft pusher in the back of the dump along with all my shovels, walk spreaders, lots of bagged salt, fuel, etc....and then pull the machine up on the trailer with the bucket attached. I would leave the machine running, and had a really efficient/quick system of loading/unloading & chaining/unchaining the machine.......within minutes of pulling up to a job I was off the trailer and moving snow.

P.S. stopping is the dangerous part, good luck

5. snowguys

snowguys Senior Member

who needs a trailer???????

<object width="464" height="376" alt="Bobcat Loads Itself onto Truck Funny Videos" ><param name="movie" value="http://embed.break.com/503994"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://embed.break.com/503994" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="always" width="464" height="376"></embed></object><br><font size=1><a href="http://www.break.com/index/bobcat-loads-itself-onto-truck.html">Bobcat Loads Itself onto Truck</a> - Watch more <a href="http://www.break.com/classic-clips/classic-clips.html">Funny Videos</a></font>

6. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

Have used a rollback tow-truck with great luck in the past.

Also, a 4wd dump-truck and a good well-balanced trailer does an OK job. Little hairy on the stops, but we usually only travel short distances.

7. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I've been trailering between jobs for years without an issue. Make sure the trailer brakes work and that you properly load the skid steer.

I do think a backhoe may be in your best interest both for the size of the lots and the travel distance.

8. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

And what was that? Thats what kills the time chaining it up. It has to be done. I guess you could just use two chains 1 up front 1 out back as apposed to 4 like I usually do.

9. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I had all 4 points chained....but only had to ratchet the 2 backs. Pull up, hook the 2 fronts, back up till tight and ratchet down each back.....but your right, it takes extra time loading and unloading....sometimes you have to work with what you got?

10. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

Yup your right. Ever heard of bear clawing? use 1 chain up front and one in the back and use the load binder in the center of the chain and toss the extra chain over top of the binder and go.

I see paveing co's they have short chains made up for each side of the machine that would be faster then screwing with individual long chains.

I have 3 big (1 gravel 2 stamped concrete) driveways that are a pia to do with a truck thought of using the skid this year on them instead of the truck. A blade with urethane edge.

11. justinzich

justinzich Member

I have trailered a lot in poor weather, I used to hate it till I got a new brake controller. There is probably even better ones now but the Tekonsha prodigy works great spend some time setting it up and it stops almost as well with the trailer as it does with out.

As far as plowing, the loading and loading goes pretty quick once you get used to it. I use a s205, with the two speed it goes about 12mph, can work pretty quick.

12. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

i would think depending on what you consider short your runs are , that backing the skid up ,especially if it's a single speed would hurt your time compared to a truck...and i almost never say that :D

13. 4wydnr

4wydnr Senior Member
    from N. IL

I've trailered mine for 3 years on a 25ft gooseneck, two of those were around a 40 mile run one way. I had brake issues last year and had to borrow a friends pintle hitch trailer ofr two snows, never again will I pull a bumper hitch style in the snow. The goose always pulls straight as an arrow. I had an easier time pulling two skids in the snow on the goose neck compared to one on the bumper hitch style, and it was loaded with plenty of tongue weight.

This year I'm going to leave my machine on site, hopefully it'll save time and fuel.

14. Mdwstsnow512

Mdwstsnow512 Senior Member

Goosenecks are gay, so are their drivers. :)

15. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

We have 1 or 2 full routes where a truck will trailer a skid or track loader around town. Lots of small to mid size lots so it makes sense for us. Been doing it for years. Granted, the driver has to know what the hell he's doing.

16. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks guys for the ideas and comments.

#1 One of the biggest lots is out of the way from the others it's a trucking company and has a few places where it's tight with a truck.

#2 Another lot is only a few acres, but there are islands everywhere, a couple loading docks, and quite a few cars to plow around.

#3 Another lot is about 4 acres with pretty long runs. The lot always has semi trailers parked both in the loading docks and scattered about the lot. It almost always has to be plowed 3/4 of the way down the lot then change directions and push the snow 90 degrees to work around the trailers.

I have a few more lots that range in size from 1 to 2 acres. One is located about 3 miles from lot #4. Another is located about 3 miles from lot #2 and another is located about 2 miles in the same direction as the lot mentioned above.

I guess my other question is would I be better off with a truck and an 8' blade on these lots, or would trailering the unit make more sense?

I will go and check exact miles to and from each job later today and post when I get back.

Thanks Bossman

17. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

As long as you have a two speed skid steer, I say trailer it from job to job. I trailer my skid steer and my backhoe all winter long and have no problems. I assume the truck that is pulling the skid will have a plow on it. If so, just use that on the one lot that you have to back all the way up on.

Don't use ratchets on the front of the skid when trailering it. Just hook the chains and back up untill tight. Then use a binder type for the rear. All though they don't tighten as well, they are much faster then ratcheting a binder in the cold. Just my stupid opinion. Good luck.

18. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

More than Half my sub tow their machine. 8 skid steers and 2 backhoes get towed every time we push.

19. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Screw chaining them job to job short distances........isn't that what the e-brake is for?!?!?! :)

20. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

Chains? Oh I thought we where supposed to use bungy cords?