1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Who thinks they have the most messed up, PITA lot to plow?? I think i do..

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by trqjnky, Oct 12, 2011.

1. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

alright my apartment complex is 4.6 acres of plowable drives and parking stalls. i can only stack snow in the nortwest corner and west edge of the property. on the east end i have 3 spots the size of a garage door to pile snow in. i counted runs of 48 garage doors with no where to put snow, gotta push it allllllll the way to the end. id post a pic but dont know how.

whaddaya got?payup

2. getsum

getsum Senior Member
    from USA

Gas stations with traffic :laughing: and a few other pita's

3. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Would have to be either the office complex in Crystal Lake Illinois or the Toys-R-Us in Schaumburg Ill.

Both had over 15 islands in the lot and 6-10 light poles to avoid. The office complex had a island every 6th parking spot on the building side and every 8 spots on the grass side. Toy-R-Us was just as bad.

2 Lots I am very glad we no longer do.

4. greywynd

greywynd PlowSite.com Addict

If they all were easy everyone would want them.

I learned long ago that if I price difficult jobs, that no-one else wants right, I can make decent money at it. And not much (if any) competition. It goes for anything, snow, dirt, landscaping, etc.

5. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

I don't have any PITA's, I pass them all off to billy bob in his '87 chebbie... Thumbs Up

6. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Come plow in the south. The islands and light poles will drive you friggin crazy. What would be nice straight pushes turn into a maze of maneuvering. I'm paid buy the hour, so they are welcome to pay more as a result. Nobody though of snow when they designed these lots...but I guess you can't blame them really.

7. indplstim

indplstim Senior Member

50 car parking lot on an L-shaped building that has to be pushed into 2, 1 car lane sized spaces, then across a street, over a 8 inch curb to the adjacent empty parking lot, including about 400 or so feet of walks that get covered everytime a city plow comes by

8. Jelinek61

Jelinek61 Senior Member

I think the worst ones are the factories that have three shifts 24hrs a day. People are always getting in the way and parking right where you dont want them to.

9. ratherbfishin

ratherbfishin Senior Member

How many times have you waited for someone to move there car to finish plowing that area,they come out in a hurry,then pull the car out in the middle of the lot where you have finished cleaning and cleaned the snow off there car right there?

10. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

gas stations are the worst

11. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I'm gonna say busy secure storage facilities or the worst. All garage doors, the only place to put snow is on the outskirts along chain link fence. (That's empty when you quote it but full of boat trailers and campers when it starts snowing.) I plowed one for 2 seasons with a straight blade and couldn't be more happy when they found someone cheaper.

12. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Our most difficult would have to be either one of these two, 1st is a set of condo's. Its a 2 level parking lot, the bottom half is about 75 yards long and about 30 yards wide that goes up hill to a long drive connecting the lower to the upper half. The upper half is another 75 yards long and a mix of 20 single and double wide driveways. All of this is up hill and all the snow goes into a small "T"- 6 car parking lot at the top. Then we have to come back when most of the cars are gone in the lower half and push it all up hill again. The 2nd would be a Dr. office, again two levels. The bottom isn't too bad but tight but the upper level is on a slope and if you get too far to one side your sliding down a steep hill and the entrance is almost too steep to drive in let alone plow and sits on a very busy intersection.

13. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I plow a skid pallet factory lumber yard. It's like a maze and just when you have it all figured out they move all the piles
    We forgot one storm about the rail line that comes thru it also. That hurt. The big
    Forklifts also rut the gravel lot as they carry lumber to the plant.
    I bought the ebling rear plow for this place it makes my life so much easier cause it doesn't dig into the gravel and I can carry snow thru the maze to a pile or open space
    I work with a skid and we cut our old times in half
    Strobes and rotator light suck at this place and make you go crazy cause they bounce off all the stacks of lumber

14. Kodiakguy

Kodiakguy Senior Member

Fast food joints that are open 24 hours or till 4 am. Im glad I have customers, but... at bar closing their customers are a nightmare... timing is everything.

Condo's... you work with a property manager... but with a number on the side of your truck, everyone thinks they can call you. Needless to say, there are no numbers on the trucks anymore.