1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

who thinks i should trade my truck for....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ultimate plow, Jul 24, 2002.

1. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

hey everyone,
    i was wondering if i should trade my dodge for a chevy 3500 dump? I was checking out the silverados. they are nice. im not really a chevy guy so much. more of a ford person. how do chevy trucks perform in plowing? the truck is 31,000 for 500 a month.
    i talked him down to 28,000. its a 2001 dump.
    thanks for the info!
    ultimate plow,
    aol IM whippo89

2. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i love thim they run forever with minumal care

3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

I love my 2500HD i got. I know its a little different than a 3500 Dump, but i dont think you could go wrong with them. Ive seen them work and driven one and really like them a lot. Whether you go with the duramax diesel, or the powerful gas motor, you definately will have enough juice to get the job done.

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I have a '96 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW with a 6.5 TD. It's got a flatbed which is pretty light with a 9' blade. I'm going to use a steel plate for balast and hope that helps. For me, I wouldn't want a dump cause I couldn't see behind me and spend a lot of time in reverse plowing drives and lots. With that diesel and good tires, it's pushed anything I've put it up against so far. That was with a full two yard sander.

I also have a '90 Dodge 1500 which has pushed some amazing amounts of snow - once rolling wet snow higher than the moldboard, uphill, and just kept on going.

I think it depends mainly on the reason for wanting a dump.

5. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

We have GM trucks, both Chevy and GMC. Two 3500 dumps, two 2500 pick ups and two S-10 size. I just replaced one of the 2500 with a '02 2500HD, which is 9200 GVW, up from 8600. So it's like the old 3500 single rear wheel one ton pick ups.

I like GM trucks. Some would say they break down too easy. I find it interesting that some other contractors I know use Ford trucks in their "fleet" for dumps, vans and pick ups. But they drive GMC trucks - Yukon and 1500 Z71.

I think if you're driving the truck every day you'll like the GM truck - I believe it rides smoother, it's a nicer truck. Is it as beefy as a Ford? I can't say. Is the Chevy a good fleet truck? I can't say - but I do see a lot of Fords out there filling the ranks. I'd consider buying Ford for the crews if the pricing was right and the options were what I needed, but at this point in time - I'm happy with GM trucks.

If I had to pick a plow truck at this point for my every day use - it would be a 2500 HD with a 9'2" V. You have good site lines (better than a dump), and enough heft to get the job done. It's a nice ride, you won't get banged around inside the truck like you might some others.

6. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

Thats funny I traded my 97 gmc in for a dodge and I will never buy a gm again. Had alot of problems with 97 and the dodge has not seen the dealer yet. I do like the new looks of the gm's hds though and have not herd of any problems yet.

7. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I'm a Ford guy too, but I bought what was to be a temporary truck, a '92 3500 dump, because the price was right and was pleasantly surprised. This truck has 183,000 miles, doesn't use oil and pulls great with the 454. I'm considering keeping this truck because it's performing so well.

I find I'm a lot more cautious in my dumps just for this reason, I've backed into more things with my pickup than the dumps.

If I were in the market for a "getaround" 1/2 ton, I think I'd pick Chevy too. Their drivetrains can't be beat, they're a good looking truck, and ride nice like you said.

For heavy work trucks though, I'll stick with Ford, they put real truck equipment under their frames.

8. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

has any one looked at the new 4500/5500 hd's no 4x4 yet but they said it will be comming.I saw one at the truck show and they are very roomy don't know how they drive or perform .I would saw that this might be ford match with the 450/550.Only time will tell once they get out there.:waving: