1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Who thinks Boss should make a trip edge V plow?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by mercer_me, Nov 29, 2008.

1. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I think they should, they would probably get alot more buisnes from people who usualy use Fisher V plows.
  2. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Who cares? Why change something that works for them. People will still have their preference.
  3. DSLL

DSLL Senior Member

Yea I wished mine had a trip edge sometimes. But, their vee's sell so well why would they spend all the money to change the design.
  4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I agree...........
  5. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Because the Boss full trip S&KS. The ONLY reason I got a Boss was it weighs 100# less than any other brand. (now I like the no lift chain) But the full trip S*CKS.
  6. Bldrs83

Bldrs83 Member

Everytime I hit something and the blade dosen't trip I wish it was a trip edge. I have said they need to have a trip edge for years. It would be most helpful while scooping. The blade really can't go anywhere but stop and that hurts. You might get a quick break if an outer edge of a wing hits something but as soon as the wing fully compresses the cylinder it has to trip the full moldboard.

And even when the blade trips windrowing snow, they are really rough about it. I have my trip springs set as loose as I can get away with to still stack snow, but it's like the pivot point is too far back towards the truck. So when it does trip, hold on. This is the ONLY thing I don't like about their plow.
  7. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I know a guy that busted up a truck because his Boss v-plow didn't trip... Other than that, I think that Boss makes a great plow. And that's coming from a Western guy.
  8. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Thats the only thing I really dont care for about the boss V. They dont trip very smoothly at all. JMO
  9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

But do they need it. Boss sells more Vees then the others combined. Do you think the northern New England consumer would abandon Fisher in large enough quantities to justify the cost of redesigning a vee that because of the weight increases congruent with the trip edge design would have decreased allowable fits? Particularly if they had patent infringement issues to worry about. When Dean was the boss Fisher never patented anything but once DD took over so did the lawyers. I would have to research but I believe DD still controls the patents on the trip edge vee.
  10. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Snow Dogg has a trip edge V plow. Saw one running around the other day.
  11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

So there could be the answer, but then it wouldn't be the first time Buyers got sued over knocking off a product.:cool: LOL
  12. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Diamond had the patent on the V. Which is why Meyer was able to make one. The trip edge V was patented by the owners of Diamond back in the 70s when they started making them. Fisher made its first around 95? So I am sure the patents expired.

I talked to some bigwigs at Boss about it once. They said they had no plans to make a trip edge V. It wasn't a market they wanted to go into. I assumed that meant a apples to apples comparison with the trip edge V in the New England market.
  13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Fisher is so entrenched in the New England States it would be a financial disaster. DD's decision in the early years not to sell Fisher/Western in competing markets at a time when there where only 3 major players allowed Fisher to develop an amazing loyalty in the area. In the late 70s I had a customer move to Maine who would call me for parts and information because no one in town would even work on his Western.