1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Who takes their tailgate off

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dfor, Jan 27, 2004.

1. dfor

dfor PlowSite.com Veteran

I see a lot of guys plowing with their tailgate on while plowing. I'm refering to pick-ups. I've been taking mine off for about4 years and I think it makes a big difference with visibility. Anyone else.

2. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

i just took mine off about a week ago and the visibility is alot better. :D :D

3. jmassi

jmassi Senior Member

I agree. Visibility is much better with the tailgate off. Don't know how people can plow with it on.

4. TreffertLawnWrx

TreffertLawnWrx Senior Member

I have a delta box in the back, so you cant see much past that. Other wise Im sure Id be able to see much better.

picture 192b.jpg

5. Dave1250

Dave1250 Member

Tail gate

I use my mirrors to plow,If I kept turning around to see out the back window I don`t know if I could move the next morning . Ha Ha.

6. ronsracing

ronsracing Member
    from CT

I started plowing with a rack truck, then a mason dump. I always had to use my mirrors. Now that I have a pickup I still use my mirrors easier than turning around for me.

7. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

mirrors all the way, I can't see out the back.

truck5c.jpg

8. lawnkid

lawnkid Senior Member

I use my mirrors all the time cuz it's hard to see out of a Suburban at night. Also I try to make my passes in circles so I continue going forward and have nothing to worry about backing into. You guys with dumps and stake bodies and stuff have it rough, you gotta really be good at using your mirrors while plowing.

9. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

All my visibility comes from the side mirrors, as you can see in the picture above...I plow drives with that rig, it takles a little practice.

10. LawnCrafters

LawnCrafters Junior Member

I always take mine off for doing residential driveways, where I'm backing up tight drives alot.

11. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i keep mine on i use my mirrors

12. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

If I took mine OFF, my salt bags would slide out the back!

But before salter, I always kept it on.

I use a combination of mirrors and looking back.

13. bcf

bcf Senior Member

all my bags of salt and the blower are in the back. They would fall out if I took the gate off. The blower is in my way, so I just use the side mirrors.

14. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I use my mirrors as well and always leave my tailgate up. Have a cap, so I have to anyway. One other thing to think of when you take off your tailgate, is that it provides quite a bit of strength to the pickup bed, and if you run around with it off, the bed is able to flex much more and will wear quicker than if you kept the tailgate up. Nick.

15. hoagie

hoagie Member

How do you keep ballast in the bed w/out the tailgate?

I need to keep around 900lbs of sand in the rear behind the wheel wells... no tailgate, no ballast. Thats a :nono:

The difference w/ that much weight is like night and day.

16. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

I pull my gate off too...Rob

17. ih82plow

ih82plow Senior Member

You guy actually look behind?

Whats up with that.

I always run with balast and feel more secure with a tail gate on

18. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I take it off and use a net (pronet they call it) when plowing. i use wood wedged between the two sides of the bed to hold the sand bags in place. Don't usually look behind me for the same reasons as above. But backing into traffic you guys with dumps can't see anything with the sides so it must be hard. You cant rely totally on mirrors if you do you will back into someone or something one of these days. I would say 99 % of the time i use the mirrors too much to keep turning around.

19. cuttingchris

cuttingchris Junior Member

i took mine off 2 weeks ago after 2 years of plowing with it on the visibility is so much better and i carry 4 30 inch john deere snow throwers around from site to site i just use these things called tie downs to hold them in place they work very well and its much easier to put the ramps on the bed instead of the tailgate i took my gate off after i backed into a 2 foot high cement post i couldnt see but now i can see it

20. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I leave mine on and use the mirrors. If people can't plow just because they have their tailgate on and can't see, than that's pretty sad.:nono: