1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Who still has a fax number?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by qualitylawncare, Jan 31, 2008.

1. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

Anyone still using the old school phone line fax machines?

I send out estimates, and get specification/bid packets from commercial properties occasionally. Seems like most people are going the scan/email route these days, and I like it better.

Really thinking about getting rid of it; seems like most of the time the fax rings, its junk solicitation.:help:

2. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

I do
    some people like fax machines.
    some people like email
    Gives me choices and shows that I am able to meet their needs in little ways too.

I will admit that I probably use it more often as a copy machine than as a fax machine though.

3. GL&M

GL&M Senior Member
    from PA

I still have one. But I don't use it much. I do see stuff going back and forth electronically like you said by scanning and forwarding as an attachment to an email.

4. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

We have a Fax still !!!! :D

5. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

ditto........

6. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

I have an HP All-In-One. Printer, scanner, copier, fax. I send a fax about once a month. It is nice to have it if needed.

When someone asks for my fax number on the phone I ask them if they can send it email. Most say yes and then I give that out instead. If you're on the road, you don't have to make sure their is paper in the machine to get an email.

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I have a fax but I think I want to get that All in one, now that you mention it. A scanner would be handy sometimes. I didn't realize, you could get one like that. Thanks.:drinkup:

8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I want an all in one but I would like one with a phone/handset. Most of the ones I see have a key pad to dial but no receiver. We have 5 cordless phones in the house and I can't find one most days and there will be 3 within a foot of each other.

We have an old carbon type fax machine.

9. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Dont have one

10. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

we still fax everyday but thank god we dont use that damn faX paper anymore. it would roll back up and you could never see anything.

11. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I have one for my freight broker business. Like QuadPlower, mine is an All-In-One HP PhotoSmart C7180. Seems like those other systems that use email or attachments never work. For my purposes, reliability and speed are essential.

12. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

I still have one.

I have a huge all in one. its a brother network printer/flatbed scanner/fax/copier and its color laser. You can also scan to email using it. i can type in the email i want to send it too and it will send it right off. i got it on clearance for $350 and it was $700 reg price. I like that its a color laser because i can print of my letterhead on it and send some really nice printed photos esitmates and drawings and you get the idea.

13. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

I agree. I have the HP Officejet J5740 and I love it. Its not the best or most expensive all-in-one out on the market but it was affordable, works well, and I've never had a single problem with it.

14. cincy snowdog

cincy snowdog Senior Member

just had to get new fax last week,bought a brother 4in one for 150.00 with 50 rebate,nice machine,holds photo paper if want,also has usb port and memory card slots.,hp sucks we have gone through two so i went with brother now.100 i am happy.mfc465cn at staples,
    hp was like four bills about two years ago.

15. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

big cannon fan here.
    have a cannon copier, cannon all in one, and a cannon laser fax.
    i love fax personally. i can run something through the fax quicker than i can scan it to the computer and email it. also people check emails less frequent than they go through the stack that piles up on the fax and a phone number is less likley to screw up than someones strange email address or the possible scan/virus or blocker stopping the email.. depending on the machine you can also save the work to a memory card seperate from the computer too then transfer when needed or download from the machine to the computer at a later date or network to another computer if you have network file sharing..
    As far as faxing i use it for business reasons unrelated to plowing mostly. will never get rid of the fax it is my favorite.

16. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Seems like old technology, but we still use ours almost everyday.

17. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

Fax machine... Whats that? LOL

Well we do have one, only because its part of our all in one, but i think ive used it only once. We tend to send all of our contracts and estimates out as PDFs via email. I find it cleaner and easier to track. I prefer all of my communications with clients go via email. There is a record of everything, I can do it at 3 am and I just find it more profesional.

As for phones.... sure ... a cell phone. Who needs a land line today?

jmo

18. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

That's why I was asking. We have a dedicated fax line, and it seems like a waste to spend $15 a month + taxes to have a phone line that only gets used 1-2 times a month.

I also find it more professional to send things via email. Most commercial offices share a fax for everyone in the office to use. I send an email it goes right to the person its intended for.

As far as equipment, we've got 4 Brother HL-5140 Laser Jet printers, a Lexmark 1100 all in one, and a Brother fax..

Just hate to waste money on useless things, but it is nice to have if someone doesn't have email. But who doesn't have email?! lol :nod:

19. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

we do. best for commercial contracts

20. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

We still have one. Use it quite often sending things back and forth between us and the insurance company, contracts, when we hire contractors, estimates, etc.. Ours is an HP all in one scanner, color copier, scanner, fax and we have it hooked into our network so we can use it with all the computers.